The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Oaks 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Oaks 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Khalid Abdullah has supplemented Midday for the race, so she will re-oppose Sariska on Sunday.

I’m hoping Godolphin follows suit. And John Oxx declares Beauty o’ Gwaun along the way.

dostoy
    • Total Posts 23

Who are you wanting Godolphin to supplement as their Ribblesdale winner is injured and out until the autumn ?

Come on Midday, she was unlucky at Epsom.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

That hill at the curragh is very steep, i would worry if the ground has juice these fillies by sprinters may be found wanting inside the final furlong stamina wise.

colinf
    • Total Posts 144

Rain forecast from Friday evening through to Sunday morning.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

DKW’s filly might be a good e/w bet

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Is that Grace O’Malley? If so, yes I strongly agree. Great price.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Come on Beauty

If Ever John Oxx needs to wrap the cotton wool of a horse its this one….Looking Foward for Mick Kinane to giving her a few clatters with the ald Piece of Rubber and getting to the bottom of her to see how good she is.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

That hill at the curragh is very steep,

No it isn’t. It’s a fairly gentle incline actually, not in the league of a Sandown or even a Newmarket July! Not to say a mile and a half isn’t a good test at the Curragh though.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Sariska is trading at 2.08…I am certain she will not go off that price in fact i think she trade to around 3 on the day…this is a good lay to back proposition and even get ride of the back bit as i am certain Sariska wont be winning the Darley Irish Oaks on Sunday.

Dont do spread betting but surely a bet on the drift of this price is a good un.

tenbob
    • Total Posts 156

ny points system

145 sariska
    138 midday
    127 roses for the lady
    127 oh goodness me
    126 beauty o gwaun
    125 grace o mally
    120 roman empress
    112 belle chose
    109 chirkova
    102 rose anna
    95 destined for fame

will back sariska win
    and roses for the lady ew

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I was automatically looking to oppose the market leaders. The ground might not be to grace o mally’s liking, but with PSM on board and the horse probably going onto bigger things in all probability, i took the 14’s on offer.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

I am suprised there is such a dispersion in price between the Epsom 1-2.

Sariska was lucky to win in the stewards room for me

Our Vic
    • Total Posts 99

My thoughts:

4 pts win Sariska
    1 pt e/w Oh Goodness Me (Or Toteswing the 2)
    Beauty O’Gawun: Confirmed promise shown by gritty win on only start at 2 when putting her head down to land Group 3 Blue Wind Stakes, looking every inch as though she’ll improve for step up in trip and bred to do so; Will improve off the back of that but needs to, as the form of that race has fallen to pieces; Would be one to take advantage of soft – heavy ground

Belle Chose: Got off the mark in handicap company latest, beating Ravati by 2 lengths; But long way out of her depth here, and all due respect to the connections, here to make up the numbers.

Chirkova: Showed useful form towards the back end of her juvenile career and made pleasing reappearance when 4th in listed race, but had limitations exposed when 10th in Gallinule Stakes and set to be pacemaker for Roman Empress .

Destined For Fame: Miracle aside, Destined For Supporting Role here.

Grace O’Malley: Only raced once at 2, winning a maiden shaping as though she’d improve with time and step up in trip (also bred to do so) ; Left impression that she’d not trained on when a well beaten 6th behind Fame And Glory in Ballysax Stakes well behind her when landing Noblesse Stakes in taking style; Form of that race not looking particularly strong for a Group 3 but shown she’ll stay trip and open to further improvement.

Midday: She showed how good she could be when finishing a close up 4th in good renewal of Montrose Stakes on her final Juvenile run behind Enticement, with the likes of Super Sleuth (3rd in 1,000 Guineas, 2nd in Fred Darling Splashdown, (Winner of Lord Weinstock Memorial Stakes), and not far in front of her; Took another step forward when coming a nice 2nd to Debussy in the Blue Riband trial, before really jumping into Oaks Picture when slamming field in Lingfield Oaks trial; Well backed for the Oaks (Sent off 11/4 2nd fav) and ran a cracker to finish 2nd after being interfered with, only being beaten a nose in the end; However was beaten pretty convincingly by Sariska (reopposes here) and did have the advantage of handling the track at Epsom (shown she had handled it at Lingfield previously) while Sariska (Caused interference by rolling into others) didn’t; Back to a much more galloping, conventional stiffer track here and may be hard pressed to improve past her conqueror today.

Oh Goodness Me: Ran all but one bad race on her juvenile season, improving for step up in trip and already showing a preference for soft ground and middle distances, the best of her efforts being to 2nd’s to Turin Lady and especially Mourayan at the back end of last season; Shown she had trained on and looked set for big classic season with 1st pattern success over Fiery Red and Mad About You to being her 3 yr old campaign; Looked to have had her limitations shown with 9th in French 1,000n Guineas, before then bouncing right back to come 3rd in Irish 1,000 Guineas behind Again and Lalaheeb; Disappointing in the Oaks but that run could be put behind her due to a disliking for firm ground and track; Already proved herself to be a classy sorts, although just how classy after a mix of indifferent efforts in Group 1 company, having had valid excuses each time is still an unknown. Following the subsequent efforts of the front 2, the Irish 1,000 Guineas has proved to be on the face of it what looks a weak renewal, and her trainer form since could have bean a cause for concern, but trainer did win a Group 3 yesterday with Three Rocks; One to give big thought to.

Roman Empress: Raced only once at two, though started current campaign with good home reputation, only to disappoint when favourite for a Leopardstown maiden; Won her maiden in good style at limerick last time but needs much more to be involved at this level and didn’t show she had found that when last but one in Pretty Polly Stakes.

Rory Anna: Does’nt seem to look like she’d up to this level, and will be hard pressed to find improvement to turn around the tables with Grace O’Malley form their running last time.

Roses For The Lady: Took a long time to come to hand at 2, singing off for the season with a 5th in Leopardstown maiden behind Casual; Got up in soft ground conditions to beat Jakrta Jazz by a head on her seasonal debut before running solid but slightly disappointing 3rd in Cheshire Oaks to Perfect Ruth; Didn’t impove on that form when 5th in Nobelesse Stakes behind Grace O’Malley and hard to see her winning on that form.

Sariska: Some (including Michael Bell) have always had a very high opinion of this horse and she gave impression of big things to come when landing her only start at 2 in good style when showing the speed to land a maiden over 7f (Stamina on dam’s side in large amounts despite being by Pivotal); That gave many people a big sing that she was a classic filly and she showed more talent with a good 4th in the Fred Darling; Stepped up a gear with win in the Musidora Stakes at York, comfortably coming home 3 lengths clear of Star Ruby and as a result of that was well backed to land Oaks success and duly delivered, travelling well but never handling the track, idling when she hit the front and in the process and then rolling down the camber to interfered with 5 of the 10 runners, before then showed plenty of resolution to fight off a renewed challenge from Midday and prevail by a head; In a perfect world, connections would prefer decent ground for Sariska but she is a daughter of Pivotal – (who do handle easy conditions – and she was impressive on debut last November at Newmarket when the ground was on the slow side). She has the form, proven she can battle and her class can get her through although ground conditions maybe less than ideal.

Verdict: An intriguing Irish Oaks, and the race which will decide the top 3 yr old filly in Britain and Ireland this season over middle distances, Stacelita looking like a supreme type over in France, and Ghaanati looking to have the 1 – 1m2f division sown up as far as filles are concerned. The only filly who has on what we’ve seen so far who is capable of winning a Group 1 is SARISKA, having taken her own Group 1 prize when landing the Oaks last time out from Midday, Although on 1st evidence that doesn’t look a strong renewal, the form still looks head and shoulders above any of the other opponents here. Midday is sure to be close again but she doesn’t have some of the advantages that she had last time. John Oxx holds the best hopes of a home victory with Beauty O’Gwaun. She is unbeaten in two starts and a promising prospect but will need to take another step up from her win in a Group 3 in May, and with that form being battered since, she has a tough task, although she’s expected to improve for the step up in trip and is very unexposed. Looking at the race from a betting point of view, taking prices into account there are 2 each – way prospects in the race. Oh Goodness Me has already proved herself to be a classy sorts, although just how classy after a mix of indifferent efforts in Group 1 company, having had valid excuses each time is still an unknown. Following the subsequent efforts of the front 2, the Irish 1,000 Guineas has proved to be a weak renewal on the face of recent runs from that race. She could well be the e/w value at 14/1. Grace O’Malley is improving all the time and a big run can’t be ruled out, especially as her Group 3 win does look like being stronger form than most others in this race have to offer. Ballydoyle have won the last 3 runnings of this and while Roman Empress has to be respected, she has to impove about 2 stone on official ratings, and her pacemaker Chirokova won’t be winning. In all honesty, the rest of the field are there to make up the numbers.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Oh Goodness Me great EW bet at 12/1. Ground has come soft enough for her IMO. Sariska place lay as well.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Our Vic, we’ve established that you’re just a copy & paste merchant already.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Looks like a very weak division and with the concerns about the ground probably a race best left alone. Given Stacelita’s prominence in the Arc betting bit surprised that the French couldn’t muster a serious challenger – perhaps she is the only above average staying filly they have? Shame that Flying Cloud didn’t make the line up as I think given the ground and Godolphin’s current form she would have started favourite and looked the most likely winner.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I may have to eat these words later on, but i think beauty o gwaun is being over hyped by some on here at the minute. It’s hard to gauge how the ground will effect the other runners, but i think the likes of Sariska are well better than this horse, and if i was a layer then BOG would be a lay.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.