The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Darlan

Home Forums Memorials Darlan

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    thehorsesmouththehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5481

RIP Darlan

Fran the manFran the man
    Participant
    • Total Posts 403

Most days either on my way to or from college I pop into Paddy Power to have a glance through the Racing Post. I pretty much avoid going in during racing times because I don’t really care for the crowd and there’s usually someone looking up some dog race in Fantasy Park in the paper.

To cut a long story short, I received a couple of bet vouchers for my birthday at the end of last year so I said I’d pop down to watch the race and put a bet on the race.

As Darlan fell at the last, 5 or 6 people in the shop started cheering and laughing as Rock On Ruby came home alone. It took every bit of restraint I had not to swing for one of them.

How about Racing for Change forget about attracting new people to the sport and concentrate on getting these lowlife scumbags out. :evil:

As soon as the race was over it was back to the form guide for ‘Paddy Park’ :evil:

Get rid of all the virtual shite, resulting in less betting opportunities and I bet half these pricks would go. Racing doesn’t need these arseholes :evil:

RIP Darlan, I for one never gave you the credit you so obviously deserved :(

Totally agree about some of these arseholes that proclaim to be fans of the sport, i was sitting at home watching the race with my brother and a friend and i went white when i seen Darlans legs when he went down.

After what seemed like 5 minutes but was probably more like 5 seconds i said something like "that poor horse is gone,he won’t be getting up, i’m sick!" my brother agreed and then my friend comes out with "sure you’ve Hurricane fly backed for the Champion what would you give a **** for?If anything it helps you" :evil: :evil: :evil:

He’ll know in future never to say something like that around me again anyway!

R.I.P Darlan :cry:

MoleHorse
    • Total Posts 127

Ken opens the sentence with "Backed Rock on Ruby", disgusting imo.

ivanjicaivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

RIP fella. Horribly reminiscent of Golden Cygnet’s sad demise 35 years ago. Oh what might have been.

Probably not the right place to say this but I wonder did his jockey today over do the "covering up" and not give his mount enough time to measure the flight.

Absolutely right Ivanjica, it is NOT the place to say it. Totally UNTRUE anyway, AP had Darlan covered up due to a strong headwind. Doing what was best for horse, connections and punters. He then moves the horse out in plenty of time but didn’t (through no fault of AP’s) meet the final flight on a good stride. Paid the ultimate penalty.

How very predictable of you to try to start an argument at this juncture. I knew as I wrote it I probably shouldn’t have but was feeling pretty miserable as all real race fans are at the moment, and just writing what came into my head in the heat of the moment. But don’t let that get in the way of you turning it into an opportunity to once again remind us all of your vastly superior "race reading" skills. :roll: :? :?

befairbefair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1133

Heartbreaking, so reminiscent of Golden Cygnet’s fall. No blame on McCoy and shame on you for suggesting it

ivanjicaivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Most days either on my way to or from college I pop into Paddy Power to have a glance through the Racing Post. I pretty much avoid going in during racing times because I don’t really care for the crowd and there’s usually someone looking up some dog race in Fantasy Park in the paper.

To cut a long story short, I received a couple of bet vouchers for my birthday at the end of last year so I said I’d pop down to watch the race and put a bet on the race.

As Darlan fell at the last, 5 or 6 people in the shop started cheering and laughing as Rock On Ruby came home alone. It took every bit of restraint I had not to swing for one of them.

How about Racing for Change forget about attracting new people to the sport and concentrate on getting these lowlife scumbags out. :evil:

As soon as the race was over it was back to the form guide for ‘Paddy Park’ :evil:

Get rid of all the virtual shite, resulting in less betting opportunities and I bet half these pricks would go. Racing doesn’t need these arseholes :evil:

RIP Darlan, I for one never gave you the credit you so obviously deserved :(

Totally agree about some of these arseholes that proclaim to be fans of the sport, i was sitting at home watching the race with my brother and a friend and i went white when i seen Darlans legs when he went down.

After what seemed like 5 minutes but was probably more like 5 seconds i said something like "that poor horse is gone,he won’t be getting up, i’m sick!" my brother agreed and then my friend comes out with "sure you’ve Hurricane fly backed for the Champion what would you give a **** for?If anything it helps you" :evil: :evil: :evil:

He’ll know in future never to say something like that around me again anyway!

R.I.P Darlan :cry:

Mick Fitzgerald made a strange comment as well – he said something along the lines of "those punters who backed Rock On Ruby at double figures for the Champion Hurdle before the race will be happy". Will they? I know I wouldn’t be. I remember when the news broke that Jair Du Cochet had been killed feeling really sad even though I had an ante-postvoucher for Best Mate to win his 3rd Gold Cup.

ivanjicaivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Heartbreaking, so reminiscent of Golden Cygnet’s fall. No blame on McCoy and shame on you for suggesting it

I am not trying to blame anyone. I was merely speculating as to what caused the horse to fall. As I said this probably isn’t the right place to do it, however in the heat of the moment I was writing on auto-pilot. Stop being so f**king sanctimonious.

ivanjicaivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

deleted – posted twice in error

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4522

Yes, it is very sad what happened and it is sad when any racehorse meets his demise whatever their level of ability. Unfortunately, it is part of the sport and will happen again. There is little to gained in getting all sanctimonius about it.

Fran the manFran the man
    Participant
    • Total Posts 403

Thought i heard Fitzgerald say something like that myself alright. I’m sure he didn’t mean it as it sounded but still pretty stupid to say it!

KenhKenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 738

Ken opens the sentence with "Backed Rock on Ruby", disgusting imo.

I put that purely that to

emphasise the fact

that at times like these the money and betting just doesn’t matter. If you actually read how the post was worded surely you could see that.

Bachelors HallBachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1333

I don’t wish to get sucked into any arguments so I’ll just leave my thought.

Whilst I don’t agree with Ivanjica’s suggestion that AP’s actions may or may not have had anything to do with this awful incident, I’m not going to castigate him for making such a comment.

When shocking and deeply unfortunate moments occur, it is human nature to ask "What could have been done to ensure that this didn’t happen?"

In some eyes, isn’t the right time to ask some questions as others will be in shock or mourning. Through other eyes, it’s probably appropriate to ask questions or try to make sense of the situation. Neither is fundamentally right or wrong as it’s down to the individual.

Personally, I’d rather not see arguments arise or innocent actions being chastised but that in itself is also part of human nature.

(The above is unrelated to those who cheer the fall of a horse. They are not racing fans by any stretch of the imagination.)

BurroughhillBurroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

Thought i heard Fitzgerald say something like that myself alright. I’m sure he didn’t mean it as it sounded but still pretty stupid to say it!

He was being realistic. There will be some who will be happy that the main opposition has gone.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

horrible fall. just watched the replay. looked like he broke his neck because it didn’t look good.

such a shame because had his whole future in front of him. a reminder that we should be grateful to be able to see these magnificent animals- rather than taking them for granted. :(

MarkTTMarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2730

RIP fella. Horribly reminiscent of Golden Cygnet’s sad demise 35 years ago. Oh what might have been.

Probably not the right place to say this but I wonder did his jockey today over do the "covering up" and not give his mount enough time to measure the flight. Whatever, in 35 years time lets hope Darlan’s memory lives on as this generation’s Golden Cygnet – that would be the most fitting tribute.

I’m still in shock i think and in my opinion it’s insensitive to examine the ride so soon after the event.

Tragic, horrific fall and my thoughts are with JP, AP and eveyone at Seven Barrows.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.