The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Eclipse 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Eclipse 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 140

I really enjoy this meeting last year’s clash between Sea The Stars and Rip Van Winkle was fantastic.

Had a quick look at the entries and Rip Van Winkle is the one that stands out if you can forgive the performance at Ascot, although the stable did say they were expecting him to approve for the race.

I also like the look of Twice Over I think that is strong form behind Byword and he did not have the best of runs.

If anyone else is thinking of going then check out the RUK 2-1 ticket offer. £12.50 for entry is great value IMO.

http://www.racinguk.com/page/SandownPark

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

If rip runs, Rip wins.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I’m not sure that Rip Van Winkle will run, and if he does, I’m even less sure he would win.

Nope, I’ll take a chance with Sariska having one of her "hot" days. This race could be right up her street, given what looks to be ( on paper ) moderate opposition.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 1046

Was hoping Rip would run so I could place the lay the backend off him again.. :lol:

Is Dar Re Mi coming here or King George?

Otherwise it’s down to Sariska v Twice Over.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Really think if Rip doesn’t run (by the looks of things he won’t), the value lies in TWICE OVER at 4/1. Dar Re Mi would be the main danger is she runs, but heard nothing from connections.

• Total Posts 174

Dar Re Mi would be the main danger is she runs, but heard nothing from connections

Gosden is watching the Paris weather, may run Dar Re Mi there on Sunday or in the Eclipse, says he’ll decide tomorrow.
    http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/j-h-m-gosden-france-gosden-watches-weather-in-paris-for-dar-re-mi/733159/latest/

Medlocke
    • Total Posts 9

I hope Dar Re Mi runs in the Coral Eclipse. I was really surprised that Gosden didn’t race her in the Coronation Cup after how she handled the Sheema Classic field. I’d like to see her at Sandown. For no other reason than to see her back on the track. Since she’s yet to race since her Sheema Classic victory in Dubai back in March. That said, the Coral Eclipse, being a 10 furlong race may not suite her as well as the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes over 12 furlongs. But either route she decides to go, I eagerly await that wonderful race-mare’s return to the turf.

Medlocke
    • Total Posts 9

Old Bahram,
    Why in the good Lords name would Andrew Loyd Weber and Lady Weber even consider letting Gosden take Dar Re Mi back to France after the total "hose job" they pulled on this great mare in the 2009 Prix Vermille? Still, one of the worst D.Q.’s I’ve ever seen in many years of following racing. And I’ve followed racing all my life, and I’m now 50yrs. old.

• Total Posts 174

Well, Gosden & Webers are presumably thinking of the GP de Saint-Cloud for Dar Re Mi, because that 12f is more suited to her than the Eclipse’s 10f. No doubt, their hesitancy to travel to France is influenced by the events of last year’s Vermeille, but I doubt that they are so melodramatic with indignation as to imagine that they are the specific target of French steward conspiracies. Practically speaking, their horse and their purses would probably be better served by going to Saint-Cloud, and that will be weighed against their lingering bitterness.

Either way, I am sure the King George will still be on her agenda.

Ardrossthegreat
    • Total Posts 303

Cant wait for next Saturday, got me tickets for this ages ago (first time ive been to the Eclipse for ages Environment Friend was the last time as a spectator although have worked there a few times since on the day !!!).

Im hoping Dar Re Mi runs as i have it in me 10 to follow.

Any strong tips from you guys would be greatly appreiciated :D

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

As predicted in the St James Palace thread Rip Van Winkle looks a certain non runner and as suspected MW Bell is thinking later in the season for Sariska. I doubt if he was ever serious about running her in this.

If that’s the case this looks a very poor turnout but it may harbour one of the best bets of the season.

Twice Over is a very frustrating animal and IMO if ever a course was made not to suit him it’s Sandown. Very often it’s guts and determination that wins the day up the Sandown Hill and this fellow is lacking in both departments.

Dar Re Mi on the otherhand is as tough as old boots. She seems to enjoy a good scrap and I much prefer her chances of coming out on top than Twice Over’s. The fact she gets 1m4f will stand her in good stead in a field that lacks true class and could turn out to be a very scrappy contest.

4/1 looks huge perhaps because some think John Gosden will send 2nd string Tazeer in preference to Dar Re Me. I can’t see that happening as the opportunity looks too good to miss. He might run both I suppose but Dar Re Mi stands out as the yards number 1 hope.

Looks like SMS sends Zacinto.
    Unsuprisingly he was kept to a mile last season after running Delegator so close. Being the yards only represenative in a race SMS truly loves to win speaks volumes about his confidence that this horse will stay.

He showed signs of coming back to his best behind Goldikova when he seemed to blow up in the final furlong after looking like finishing closer than he did.

My worry with him is he has never managed to get his head in front against a good horse and he seems to lack a bit of toe when it matters

Dar Re Mi 4/1 looks nailed on to outbattle them all.

• Total Posts 1511

What a awful renewal….

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I"m taking the chance that Aidan runs

Viscount Nelson

, a horse i have always held in high regard and the sort who improves with racing,i have taken the 10"s on the machine!

• Total Posts 403

Nailed on? All her best form is at 12f. She’s got a chance obviously but 4/1 is no value.

• Total Posts 403

Nailed on? All her best form is at 12f. She’s got a chance obviously but 4/1 is no value.

• Total Posts 1982

Viscount Nelson…

Ran a really good in France, not far behind some really decent sorts. Had previously finished third in the Irish Guineas and, in my opinion, will be a tough nut to crack.

Aidan O’Brien’s Irish Derby clean sweep should serve as a warning to all.

I’m not convinced the trip is sure to suit the other O’Brien entries, Steinbeck and Beethoven.

Twice Over has loads of ability and is the one to beat on form. Never been convinced by his attitude and Sandown is not his ideal track.

Dar Re Mi has recorded one top level success over this trip, shortheading Beach Bunny in the Pretty Polly. Will need to improve on that to win over this trip against the colts.

Mawatheeq will be all the better for his Prince Of Wales effort. Still, it’s hard to fancy him after just one unplaced outing and I don’t think Sandown will play to his strengths. Would like to see him return to twelve furlongs at some stage.

Zacinto has always promised to be even better over ten furlongs and I rate him a huhge danger. Showed signs of a revival in the Queen Anne and I expect further progression here. Sandown should suit and he won’t be far away.

Viscount Nelson to beat Zacinto.

• Total Posts 403

Aidan O’Brien’s Irish Derby clean sweep should serve as a warning to all.

Why? AOB winning the Irish Derby is no more meritorious than Roger Federer getting to the final of Wimbledon. Why? BECAUSE ON BOTH COUNTS THERE IS NEVER ANY OPPOSITION. And on both counts that has been the case for the last three years.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.