The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dougie Fraser

Home Forums Horse Racing Dougie Fraser

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Winter midweek afternoons watching the jumps from places like Hexham, Sedgefield and Kelso wont be the same again without Doug calling the horses. There was something in his voice, soothing, old fashioned, familiar yet unique, that suited these races to a tee.

God bless the poor man, may he rest in peace.

Getinbybutonlyjust

:(

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 478

Geordielad wrote:……. I’m terrified today that we may all have contribued to something terrible, shame on all of us

?????

• Total Posts 373

There is nothing I can add that will do justice to the man in words that has not already been reflected here. RIP, Dougie.

Geordielad:

I am a commentator in the USA and while I understand where you are coming from, there really is no reason to feel that way.

As David said, all us commentators know the risks of making a living as a public figure. And part of that is learning to live with criticism of your work, often from people invisibly sat behind a computer!

The late Raleigh Gilbert used to tell me just to smile when someone maligned my work unfairly and say: "Thanks for listening." And of course to take note when the comments was from someone worth listening too.

It sounds cliched but most commentators, even established ones relish people listening to their work and offering good and bad comments.

And you can have the assurance that in Dougie’s case if he kept a tally, the positive would have outweighed the negative!

Craig

conundrum
    • Total Posts 416

Geordielad wrote:……. I’m terrified today that we may all have contribued to something terrible, shame on all of us

I think you’re confusing matters, Geordielad. Sounds like one of those headline quotes from when Princess Diana died.

As for changing your identity today. Is that because you’re living in fear that we might criticise you? Don’t get it?

Perplexed

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

This is very sad news indeed. I’m going to miss Dougie’s distinctive nasal commentaries.

Who knows what pushes any human being to take his or her own life. :? I read that Dougie Fraser had split up from his wife some years ago and stayed in a flat along with one of his daughters, who recently left to take up a job in London.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

conundrum
    • Total Posts 416

Good call, Mr. Braddick.

geordielad
    • Total Posts 2

whether you like it or not the fact is we may all become part of a police investigation, if this body turns out to be poor Doug Fraser, and it turns out he was depressed or something, the cops will take steps to find out why. If one of the reasons suggested is internet forum abuse this forum along with others will be investigated and if they have oversteped the mark they and their posters will be in big trouble because its an offence
    just look back over this forum, and see some of the dreadful things that have been said not particularly about Doug but about jockeys and others
    we should all be afraid, very afraid

the reason I have taken out a new name is I don’t want you all looking back to see what I’ve said about people in the past but at least I wish I hadn’t done it, the rest of you dont seem to care

how cruel can you get

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Geordielad, with all due respect, you are talking nonsense.

Maybe it’s best that Cormack locks this thread before it descends into something entirely different: more so out of respect for Dougie Fraser than anything else.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 1083

whether you like it or not the fact is we may all become part of a police investigation, if this body turns out to be poor Doug Fraser, and it turns out he was depressed or something, the cops will take steps to find out why. If one of the reasons suggested is internet forum abuse this forum along with others will be investigated and if they have oversteped the mark they and their posters will be in big trouble because its an offence
    just look back over this forum, and see some of the dreadful things that have been said not particularly about Doug but about jockeys and others
    we should all be afraid, very afraid

the reason I have taken out a new name is I don’t want you all looking back to see what I’ve said about people in the past but at least I wish I hadn’t done it, the rest of you dont seem to care

how cruel can you get

No offence Geordielad but you’re talking a load
    of nonsense here. I would put money on it that there’s never been a single word
    of criticism or the like, on here, aimed at Dougie.

Let’s leave tha thread for condolonces and memories
    of Dougie Fraser RIP

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Wholly agree with the last two posts

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

My goodness how awful :-( How sad this is. Whatever and however the reason for his demise it is a great loss. I for one never was a big fan of his commentary but there was something quite charming and familiar hearing him at Sedgefield and Hexham. Racing was what he loved and enjoyed like we all do. Oh how sad. I’ve been really down since hearing this.

RIP, northern racing won’t be the same again :-(

• Total Posts 4293

Hi Marble

Participant
    • Total Posts 7508

Dougie will be sorely missed at my local circuits and it won’t quite be the same without his familiar voice over the PA.

My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

R.I.P. Doug, and thanks for your contribution to the sport.

Rob

dilysb
    • Total Posts 51

I am saddened by the poor coverage of this tragedy. I’ve been in London all day and just got home (almost 9pm). Nothing in the London Standard that I could see – although, admittedly, it is a rubbish paper with virtually no racing coverage. But I’m watching ATR’s Racing News, which I’d recorded from this morning; I’d have expected it to be the lead but nothing so far, well into the programme.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

I’ve been the same as a couple of posters on here. Every day the first thing I do is check to see if there have been any updates, and seeing this thread at the top of the page, I guessed there had been news.

Inevitable outcome, but still very, very sad. What a terrible thing to happen to such a popular man. Condolences to his family & friends. He’ll be very much missed.

A memorial race is surely in order.

• Total Posts 1083

I am saddened by the poor coverage of this tragedy. I’ve been in London all day and just got home (almost 9pm). Nothing in the London Standard that I could see – although, admittedly, it is a rubbish paper with virtually no racing coverage. But I’m watching ATR’s Racing News, which I’d recorded from this morning; I’d have expected it to be the lead but nothing so far, well into the programme.

It was the lead on the 9.00 bulletin on atr. As for the standard, yeah, it’s
    poor for racing coverage and with all due respect their priority would
    be Royal Ascot at the moment.

Been on mind most of the day, really sad thoughts.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6009

The media will be aware that formal identification of the body does not take place until Wednesday

Therefore they are acting quite correctly in only reporting the facts as they stand: a body has been found

Obituaries and tributes can follow in due course, and no doubt will once the police and coroner have completed the onerous tasks the law demands

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.