The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Classic Champion Hurdle 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Classic Champion Hurdle 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 460 through 476 (of 500 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

He’s gone to Francois Cottin apparently,

Oh fiddlesticks. So to that end he’ll be running in the 2014 Champion Hurdle for Judith Wilson at exotic odds, then? 8)

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

A special mention to Katchit, who ran his heart out and defended his title with credit.

Thanks Bos… he was briliiant today given the season he’s had…
    cracking race.. .delighted for all concerned.. (and a bit please the 5 year old stat stands… gives Katchit’s run last year a bit more weight)

I think that’ll be the last time Katchit runs over 2 miles… we’ll go Aintree from here and take on Al Eile and then come back for the World hurdle next year… hsa there been a horse to do the Triumph, Champion and World?
    We’re delighted with the boy, but Alan thinks time to go longer! He certainly tried though didn’t he!

You can’t be serious? The World Hurdle? No horse has ever won the two as far as I know and there is as much chance as Katchit doing so as Kauto Star winning a 5 furlong sprint at Hamilton.

Katchit was badly outpaced in the Champion Hurdle but I doubt very much it was a sign he needs further. He apparantly hasn’t been right all season and I very much doubt if he was spot on for the CH. Never been badly outpaced before when he’s right has he?

He ran like a horse that was just a bit short and the race will probably have done him the world of good. I would think he will turn up at Aintree in much better condition and most likely win. 2m4f round aintree though is a million miles for 3 miles round Cheltenham.

My guess is if Alan King starts effing the horse about running him over 3 miles he’ll end up with another MWDS on his hands.

Maybe he missed the fact that the horse Katchit kicked into touch in last years CH won the damn thing this year?

Absolute lunacy and if he were mines he would be moved to Paul Nichols yard in the morning.

• Total Posts 602

Oh fiddlesticks. So to that end he’ll be running in the 2014 Champion Hurdle for Judith Wilson at exotic odds, then? 8)

gc

Not only that, the same year could see him with entries in the Cheltenham Gold Cup, Queen Mother Champion Chase, Grand National, Grand Steeplechase de Paris and the Velka Pardubicka, as well as the inaugural running of the Cartmel Grand Jump (switched from Nakayama for reasons that I haven’t thought up yet!!)

Darren – AngloGerman

‘The Hungarian’s going hell for leather’ – Jim McGrath

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You don’t believe in mincing your words do you Fist? :lol:
    Fwiw, I believe Katchit has been outpaced in most of his races for the past 2 seasons and, apart from beating trees at Aintree and Wincanton, his only win came in soft ground at the end of a truly run Champion Hurdle, where he outbattled another horse who probably also needs further.
    He can only benefit from a step up in trip imo, though I doubt that would stretch to the demands of a World Hurdle, given both his conformation and his flat form, Aintree’s 2m 4f might be right up his street.

• Total Posts 115

Fwiw, I believe Katchit has been outpaced in most of his races for the past 2 seasons and, apart from beating trees at Aintree and Wincanton, his only win came in soft ground at the end of a truly run Champion Hurdle, where he outbattled another horse who probably also needs further.
    He can only benefit from a step up in trip imo, though I doubt that would stretch to the demands of a World Hurdle, given both his conformation and his flat form, Aintree’s 2m 4f might be right up his street.

I feel like I’ve been told off fists!!! :lol:

I agree with Reet on this – we’ve been done on every track other than Cheltenham, mostly for pace… yet in his juvenile season Katchit had pace to burn.

We don’t honestly know if he’ll get 3 miles (but Alan is convinced he’ll get it easily) but then how would we given he’s never run it… Aintree will be his first step up in trip and should give us a hint but against Al Eile in his race could be a real ask!

We are really excited – he’s not lost his zest, just a bit of toe… and he was only 5 lengths off Punjabi on Tuesday so nothing to be ashamed of. I thought he came up the hill better than anything else (but was flat out from the off), if his CH credentials stand up to stayers races then we’re gonna have a heap more fun.

If (and it’s a big if) he goes on to win the World Hurdle next year.. I’ll look forward to Fists eating a little humble pie! :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

If (and it’s a big if) he goes on to win the World Hurdle next year.. I’ll look forward to Fists eating a little humble pie! :wink:

Katchit, "HamFist" has already had a huge slab of humble pie to eat
    over his opinion of Binocular beating Celestial.Some of us who know their horses said Celestial would lay it down to Binocular up the one and only
    Cheltenham hill and on this occasion were right, but we dont need to blow our trumpets its all written down in the forum!

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Katchit, "HamFist" has already had a huge slab of humble pie to eat
    over his opinion of Binocular beating Celestial.Some of us who know their horses said Celestial would lay it down to Binocular up the one and only
    Cheltenham hill and on this occasion were right, but we dont need to blow our trumpets its all written down in the forum!

Well, I was one of the first ones to say that GW, but it’s a bit hard to say fists was proven wrong with binocular sweating heavily before the off, and still going so close.

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

HAMFIST……….why the name callin?

I would sort you out but I feel kind of sorry for you as you make a big enough fool of yourself around here without me spanking your bottom for you.

So do cut out the personal shyte son there’s no need

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

It’s so good to have you back, Fists :D

How old are you GWILSON77, just out of interest? I’ve sat and suffered your know-all presence on the forum and have you pegged at around 18, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were closer to 8.

A great performance from Alberta’s Run, by the way. I know it’s ‘all down in the forum’, but as you see fit to comment on other contributors’ opinions I didn’t think you’d mind me bringing it up.

riverman1
    • Total Posts 34

Yes, both the supporters and the detractors of Binocular can reasonably draw some support from his performance in the CH, I think. Binocular clearly isn’t a short runner or noticeably lacking in stamina on that evidence, but neither did he look to be a class above the rest and so, on the face of it, the betting for the race was both wrong and misleading. Of course, the fact that Binocular sweated up so noticeably beforehand does leave open the possibility that he wasn’t entirely right on the day and I do take that on board.

I did think that Binocular’s defeat, and even more so Kasbah Bliss’ defeat, illustrated how the advantage of a good turn of foot can quickly be negated in a strong run race at the Festival once the horses start up the hill to the finishing line. Physical strength/scope, battling quality and lung power seem to count for much more in those type of races/finishes than mere acceleration on its own or acceleration allied to the ability to travel well. And positioning also plays a key part, of course. I thought both Punjabi and Big Buck’s were given very good rides in terms of where they were positioned at key points in their respective races. Celestial Halo and Punchestowns deserve a lot of credit for getting so close to winning their respective races from race positions that were in some respects less favourable.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

It’s so good to have you back, Fists :D

How old are you GWILSON77, just out of interest? I’ve sat and suffered your know-all presence of the forum and have you pegged at around 18, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were closer to 8.

A great performance from Alberta’s Run, by the way. I know it’s ‘all down in the forum’, but as you see fit to comment on other contributors’ opinions I didn’t think you’d mind me bringing it up.

Well done, it needed saying.

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

I feel like I’ve been told off fists!!! :lol:

I agree with Reet on this – we’ve been done on every track other than Cheltenham, mostly for pace… yet in his juvenile season Katchit had pace to burn.

We don’t honestly know if he’ll get 3 miles (but Alan is convinced he’ll get it easily) but then how would we given he’s never run it… Aintree will be his first step up in trip and should give us a hint but against Al Eile in his race could be a real ask!

We are really excited – he’s not lost his zest, just a bit of toe… and he was only 5 lengths off Punjabi on Tuesday so nothing to be ashamed of. I thought he came up the hill better than anything else (but was flat out from the off), if his CH credentials stand up to stayers races then we’re gonna have a heap more fun.

I would like to think beating Al Eile would be fairly easy for Katchit. Unless of course your believe the distance Al Eile beat Osana to be a true reflection of the horses ability. A real Ask??? I think I have more confidence in the horse ability than you and Alan King put together :lol:

The problem nowadays is every trainer thinks his horse is a Kauto Star and can win at every trip. Aintree maybe he’ll get the trip.

The World Hurdle? Forget it, wouldn’t get 3 miles in a helicopter. I’d go to Aintree and concentarate on keeping Katchit sweet and aiming him at a major trial and the CH again. He has never been right all season according to Alan.

12 months ago he came down the hill like a little choo choo now he says he lost his toe…….more like AK lost his mind :lol:

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I disagree with plans to step katchit up massively in trip. I think last year in the champ hurdle, on gd-sft in a slowly run race which favoured prominent runners and speedier horses katchit had all the right attributes to put the race to bed, arguably punjabi with a more prominent run may have been capable of relegating him to second position.

This years race was more about speed than last years IMO and Katchit has left his form for the year well behind and run a very good race. When you look at Katchit and Punjabi in their time as juvenile novices, the difference between them was much greater around cheltenham, than aintree.

I am ginving every horse that ran in the champion hurdle another chance becauise IMO the ground was riding much faster than before, many horses were given no chance with that in mind and I think Katchit has run the sort of race I would have expected, if at his best on the terms of the race on the day.

I would take a positive from the fact that he has left his dismal earlier season form behind and has run a cracking race. and then I’d come back for next years champion hurdle, where I would expect he could go much better.

There is absolutely nothing about Katchit that screams to me that he wants further, and with him having no real hurdling options other than competing in the top grade, I think that to send him along a staying route you could eventually end up with a horse who doesnt stay 3 miles and isnt any longer quick enough for 2 miles, and he may struggle to keep up with his rating.

IMO Katchit is never going to be a dominant force at 2miles but he is one of the many horses in that division, who with everything right on the day can pick up races. With Katchits dominance in his juvenile novice year many thought he might dominate the 2mile hurdling division, but because he doesnt dominate, doesnt mean that isnt where he wants to be, so I’d keep him there.

On a quick surface in a slow race Katchit may well be able to defeat al eile though, and he would probably deserve his place in the field on that basis, but if that was to happen I wouldnt be thinking of stepping him up further again.

Al eile around aintree just has everything right in terms of trip and round however, and the only horse I’d fancy taking him on with is Celestial Halo who would also have everything right in the same respect IMO.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

FIST,you have this school bully attitude running through your posts and
    little EQUITRACK is the sort who brings you a bag of American Hard gums
    to class every day, but always hides behind you when it kicks off! Look at
    me as the EQUALISER! i hate those mouthy sorts that cant back it up!
    "Foot, fist, way of life"!

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Hey, GW77 –

Does this mean that everything can be sorted out by fighting ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Hey, GW77 –

Does this mean that everything can be sorted out by fighting ?

Courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self control, indomitable spirit,
    these are my Tenets and i live my life by them, It helps to have a sense of humour too! Self defence "Monksfield" not fighting!

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

GW77 –

Those are admirable qualities, if we could all of us live our lives by those tenets the world would surely be a better place.

Trouble is, you come across as a bit of a tw@ a lot of the time.

I’m certain that’s not the real you, but I wonder why so many on here come away with that impression ?

Viewing 17 posts - 460 through 476 (of 500 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.