The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Class Pars

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1631

If using Race Standardisation is a good way of measuring a horses abilty wouldn’t it aslo be beneficial to use Class Pars

<br>Thoughts?

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Class pars are a crude – sometimes very crude – way of addressing the same issue. The only virtue that I can see in them is that they take less time than proper race standardisation.

(Edited by Prufrock at 5:59 pm on Dec. 13, 2006)

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I think properly calculated class pars are well worth the work required to compile them.  When using standard times for lower class races (like the RP standards) there is a large difference between the actual race time and the standard.  The bigger this difference the more scope there is for error.  A number of the RP standards have not been achieved by any horse within the last five years.  Comparing class 4 or lower races against these standards are prone to massive errors.

I prefer to compare a time produced by a mid scale handicapper in a class 4 race with similar animals rather than a 100 rated horse carrying 9:00<br>

• Total Posts 1631

Crude maybe, but could the method not be refined ?

and as you state they take less time, which would be a great help imo

<br>Cheers Wallace, interesting

(Edited by empty wallet at 6:21 pm on Dec. 13, 2006)

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Well, if you refine them enough – adjust for field size, margins between horses etc – you end up getting race standardisation!

If you say that a horse winning a certain type of race is worth a certain rating or "should" achieve a certain time, then you are ignoring a great deal of relevant information from the race.

It’s like taking average past TRWs (Timeform Ratings of Winners) as the rating a winner of a race has run to, when other methods are manifestly superior. If you recognise the significance of ability/class in this context you might as well do more than just pay it lip-service.  

• Total Posts 1631

Your probabky right and i have not really thought about this, but i get the feeling there may be some mileage in it

I’ll sit back have a think 😮  and see if more thoughts are forthcoming from other members

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Let’s say you have two Class 4 mile open-aged handicaps on the same track in the first week in July. Your class par, in terms of time, is 100.00 sec.

Is the kind of time (or rating) you can truly expect influenced by the fact that one of the races was a 4-runner event won by a short head and the other was a 20-runner event won by 8 lengths? Does it matter what weight the horse carried in relation to the handicap mark it ran off (and more besides)?

You bet it does.

What I’ve read of class pars, their practitioners take the view that it will all come out in the wash. That’s not good enough in my experience.

(Edited by Prufrock at 6:55 pm on Dec. 13, 2006)

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I’m not saying;  "a horse winning a certain type of race is worth a certain rating".  What I am saying is, I would rather compare the winner of a Class 4 handicap againist other horses of the same class rather than the 100 rated horse that sets the RP standards.

• Total Posts 1631

Wallace

Do you think that gives you a more accurate measure of the horses ability?

<br>Pru

Understand where your coming from, i’m still mulling it over

Is the info you’ve read on the subject online?

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

I haven’t read anything specific about it but it’s common sense.

It’s implied in some of what is written about handicapping methods on the Timeform website.

• Total Posts 1631

K

I’m looking at this as a start from scratch process, ie: not influenced by others methods, thinking etc

I also think (though i may be wrong) that it could be used across International borders

(Edited by empty wallet at 8:19 pm on Dec. 13, 2006)

• Total Posts 1631

More i think about it, more i think sectionals would suit well, these should (hopefully) take into account the 20 runner/ 4 runner scenario example you put forward

The weight issue is not such a big problem in these parts and i can live with not taking that factor into account to produce a RAW fig/rating

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 8:28 pm on Dec. 13, 2006)

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

EW, yes I think using calss based standards are mosre accurate.  As to using weight in the calculations, this woulc develop into a very long and heated discussion.  Include me out!!! :biggrin:

• Total Posts 1631

Don’t want to go down that route Wallace, although i do/will take Pru’s and other weight matters  views on board should they wish to comment

<br>Cheers Wallace, your posts make me more interested in the process

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 9:10 pm on Dec. 13, 2006)

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

EW, have a look at the table below.  It shows the averages for all races over 5 years split only by class.  This is a crude measure but it clearly shows that class matters.

All races flat & AW since 1st Jan 2000<br>5 Furlongs<br>Class 1  59.72<br>Class 2  60.18<br>Class 3  60.30<br>Class 4  60.74<br>Class 5  60.84<br>Class 6  61.03

(Edited by Wallace at 9:11 pm on Dec. 13, 2006)

• Total Posts 1904

When’s your book coming out Prufrock?

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

We don’t talk about that, aranalde…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.