The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Clare Balding To Front C4 Racing

Home Forums Horse Racing Clare Balding To Front C4 Racing

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Clare Balding will be the new senior presenter for Channel Four racing when their exclusive terrestrial coverage of the sport begins in January.

The production contract has been awarded to IMG.

The full press release can be found here

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-racing-enters-new-era

• Total Posts 1402

That’s certainly good news. It was unthinkable that Clare wouldn’t be presenting horse racing going forward.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

This is fantastic news. Channel 4 Racing will get a hell of a lot better.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I am delighted by this news.

She will bring a professionalism to a programme ( and team ) that has been dying on its ar*e for years.

Wee Willie to follow, I wonder ? :? :shock:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Fantastic news. Proved yet again during the Olympics what a superb broadcaster she is.

Get rid of McCririck and we’re cooking.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Get rid of McCririck and we’re cooking.

I think Sean Boyce would be a more than able replacement

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

IMG promise a combination of new and existing talent in front of the camera, so I wonder who will be axed and who will stay.

I imagine and hope that Simon Holt and Tanya Stevenson will be the mainstays from the old team.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

I imagine and hope that Simon Holt and Tanya Stevenson will be the mainstays from the old team.

It would be a major surprise if Holt wasn’t retained and similarly a major one if Stevenson was.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

Has anyone told her that, as fronstsperson for Ch4 Racing, she is now under an obligation to attend the NH Preview of the Midlands Racing Club at Stirchley Working Men’s Club in October? Clare; the glitter ball and cheese and onion sandwiches await you.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

Clare Balding is, by some distance, the best racing presenter out there. She’s knowledgeable, professional and unflappable, making the sport interesting without being dull or patronising.

Let’s hope that Willie Carson, her perfect foil, follows her over to Channel 4. The rest of the Beeb’s racing team should be put out to grass.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Let’s hope that Willie Carson, her perfect foil, follows her over to Channel 4.

Tell me this is ironic??

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

IMG promise a combination of new and existing talent in front of the camera, so I wonder who will be axed and who will stay.

Couldn’t disagree more. Holt is reaching the same stage Graham Goode was before Holt took over from him – cliched and tired.

Stevenson is one the worst live broadcasters I have seen. She hasn’t improved one jot since the first day she worked on C4. She has no confidence and there is no reason why she should suddenly improve.

Love him or hate him, McCririck has always conveyed an air of excitiement from the betting ring. She just comes across as incompetent, constantly getting her words mixed up.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

I hope they don’t get rid of Emma Spencer!

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

Clare Balding will add some much-needed gravitas to the Channel 4 coverage.
    She has been easily the most impressive racing presenter for many years now and is consistently authoritative, professional, well-informed and knowledgeable, as well as being able to think quickly on her feet.
    Much of the Channel 4 coverage is lightweight, self-indulgent and lacking in authority but Clare will add some backbone and authority to the coverage. If she adopts the impressive approach she has done at Royal Ascot and Aintree for the BBC, the new coverage will be much improved.
    I am regularly amazed at just how brilliantly she does her job on racing and on a myriad of other sports as well.
    She has done exceptionally well on the BBC’s Olympics coverage and yesterday I was again reading another newspaper columnist who was saying that Clare was easily the most impressive presenter of the BBC’s coverage.
    I can’t imagine her behaving in the unprofessional and indisciplined way Denise Lewis and Colin Jackson did in bounding all over the place and not keeping a professional calm, as they did during some of the British victories.
    Channel 4 needs a good kick up the backside with an injection of some authority and gravitas. The love-in between Mike Cattermole and Emma Spencer has become an embarrassment, reaching a new low when they even had a kiss-in on the day of Emma’s appearance back in the saddle for the race at Glorious Goodwood.
    The National Hunt team of Alastair Down and Alice Plunkett has also become jaded and a bit of a pain, although Alastair is probably the most authoritative of the Channel 4 team and is an impressive wordsmith in print and on television.
    It will be interesting to see how many actual days Clare presents on Channel 4, whether she just does the big days, as Brough Scott did towards the end of his time at Channel 4, or whether she will also do the more bread-and-butter days week in, week out.
    I wonder whether she will lower herself to appearing on the Morning Line. Brough Scott very rarely did.
    There’s not a chance Willie Carson will join her on Channel 4, I don’t think. That would be a mistake in view of his bumbling and grammar-mangling chattering.
    I suspect McCririck will be pensioned off (not before time, many would say, despite his vast knowledge) but whether Channel 4 will now try to recruit a more articulate betting expert instead of Tanya Stevenson, I don’t know. Perhaps a new face might be recruited, although Tanya will no doubt continue. Tom Lee might be under threat because he is pretty lightweight.
    Simon Holt will be odds-on for senior race commentator. He is consistently excellent. I was impressed with him at Glorious Goodwood when, in addition to calling often big fields, he helped out Jim McGrath when John Francome wasn’t there one day by doing some good paddock commentaries as well, at a time when I’m sure he would have preferred to have been doing last-minute mugging-up on his colours and names.
    No doubt there will be a big revamp of the actual programmes and formats, surely only for the better.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I too would show Tanya Stevenson and Tom Lee the door. It’s a toss-up which one is worse than the other. A two bob double if ever there was one. :roll:

I was a fan of McCririck’s but now his act has become tiresome and weary, and has now become a parody of his former self. The camaraderie that he had with the others has now dissipated to the point where they appear bored in his and their own company.

The Cattermole and Spencer love-in is, I agree, nauseating at times. They act like two giggling teenagers. Get a room and let’s get on with the racing.

Steve Mellish and Lydia Hislop have a good chemistry on screen and, more importantly, they know the sport inside out. Hire them. 8)

That’s me done. :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Crusty if Tanya could use tic-tac for her pieces to camera then she does not need to be articulate. There is a reasonable chance that a greater proportion of the viewing public will understand what she is trying to relay compared to her attempts at oration.

• Total Posts 213

Yes to Clare Balding and no to Alistair Down ( he should be on points of view)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.