The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Claiming & Selling Races – Success Stories

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Claiming & Selling Races – Success Stories

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Hi all,

Just to get the grey matter ticking over a little, and as there have been some horses bought for quite high prices from selling races lately, can anyone think of any major success stories from these races.

What I mean by that is, can anyone name a horse that was claimed our bought from a seller, that went on to big success.

I can remember one, but I am desperately trying to think of it’s name lol. So if anyone else wants to get the ball rolling then feel free.

Mike

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Red Lancer

(unplaced in a seller, claimed and went on to win the chester vase Gp3 – the infamous ‘red lancer affair’)

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

Red Lancer

(unplaced in a seller, claimed and went on to win the chester vase Gp3 – the infamous ‘red lancer affair’)

Beat me to it. :wink:

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Red Lancer

Excellent, yes I remember that well – hadn’t realised it was bought out of a seller mind.

The horse I was thinking of was Make A Stand. I think he was claimed after a facile win on the flat by the shrewd Martin Pipe. He then went on to make a fortune over hurdles, including winning the Champion Hurdle.

Mike

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2927

The Tatling, 15 grand from Dandy Nicholls, since won half a million plus lots of fun.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Stymie (1941-1962) must surely be the biggest bargain ever out of the seller/claimer ranks.

Claimed for $1,500, he eventually amassed over $900,000 in earnings (then a world record), winning 35 of his 131 career starts, of which 25 would now be regarded as "black type".

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3105

Current California superstar Lava Man was claimed for $50,000 as a 3-y-old and now has career earning of over £3.5M and has won the hat trick of top Grade 1 races in his home state.

AP

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Two words – Ei Ei.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

nitro
    • Total Posts 100

Jambalaya who has won the Arlington Million on Saturday was purchased for $2500.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing … n-win.aspx

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

It’s great to hear about all these American horses, but I was thinking more on the lines of in the UK – personally, I think the ‘claimer’ races in America are just like a sales ring as they have 100’s per week and the chances of getting a good one are far greater than in the UK.

Nice to read your choices though.

Mike

alan1
    • Total Posts 167

I once tried to claim a horse called Kahyasi Princess. From memory their were 11 other claims including a friendly claim from Mark Johnston its current trainer.

Unbelievably the friendly claim was successful and they got the horse back, it subsequently went on to win the Brown Jack at Ascot.

Not that I’m bitter !!

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Alan, are you suggesting that the claiming is corrupt? :wink:

Colin

alan1
    • Total Posts 167

This was 3 years ago, and lets just say I don’t think it was quite as transparent as it is now.

However the horse couldn’t have gone back to a nicer man than the sensitive, polite and open to new ideas man that is Mark Johnson ! :roll:

warrej
    • Total Posts 37

Vagog was bought out of a seller at Newton Abbot and went on to win the Long Walk Hurdle at Ascot

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

I think the first time I realised Martin Pipe was the Second Coming was back in the mid-80’s when he bought a horse called Cat’s Eyes out of a Devon or New Abb seller for a couple of grand.

The thing subsequently ran up a sequence before landing a big handicap at the Grand National meeting under top weight. It was never quite so good over fences but still pocketed a hatful of novices and finished 2nd in the Kim Muir on it’s last outing.

As Mike previously pointed out, he repeated the stunt to even better effect with the breathtaking Make A Stand some years later.

Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.