The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Christy 1965 Chase

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Christy 1965 Chase

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    DBRDBRDBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

I like the Betfair Chase and it is a grade 1 in the triple crown, but I still think this race (Christy 1965 Chase) will be the race of the weekend. It is a battle bewteen the highest rated horses in Britain: Altior and Cyrname. Personally I think it is disgrace that the highest rated horse is not Altior. The very admirable Top Notch is also enterend here, as well as the lower rated Keeper Hill and Solomon Grey.

It will be a ‘home game’ for Cyrname who demolished the field the last two times at Ascot over 2m5f. Especially the last time against Waiting Patiently, Politologue and Fox Norton was impressive. That gave Cyrname a rating of 176, slighty higher than Altior who has been rated 175 for quite a while. Altior is looking for his 20nd victory in a row and will step up in trip. He once raced over 2m2f at Kempton, but other than that he raced over 2 miles. If all goes well, we will see him over 3 miles for the King George.

#TeamAltior

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1776

Cyrname has never won his seasonal reappearance

Should be number 20 for altior

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22219

The way Altior eats up the hill at Cheltenham I don’t think we need worry about the distance
    Cyrname could be a tricky foe however, I’m liking the above stat FF91

Member since March 2008
    greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3071

Can’t wait for this. Cyrname’s rating based on his two jawdropping runs here although the first was against handicappers who weren’t going to get battered to finish any closer and when the game was up neither were this lot Waiting Patiently, Politologue and Fox Norton , two of whom subsequently got walloped a distance by Min in the Melling Chase and all 3 probably had somewhat “historical” high ratings, forcing the handicappers hand a bit wrt Cyrname’s rating . Not crabbing Cyrname, he looks super, just that with those wide margin wins a rating just becomes an educated guess at best.

Set against that you’re right it’s a home game for Cyrname and the course where Altior looked most vulnerable last year, except neither of his opponents were good enough to really take him on.
    INTERESTING.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1776

If altior retains his finishing kick over the longer trip he will be unbeatable

The best 2 milers couldnt stay with him and he will now be taking on slower horses

So he could rather scarily be even better over further

He has to retain that turn of foot though, that is the fascinating thing about this race

Cant wait

KevMcKevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1250

Altior is the better hoss. The trip i feel will bring up more improvement, but to an extent it needs to based on last seasons form when you take it as face value although i do believe he’s became wise and is now becoming idle in his races.

The worry with Altior is jumping left. Perhaps it was that he was needing someone to toe him into the race, but it’s something he can’t afford to do too much against a good horse that will most definitely be tuned to 95%.

This sequence of videos by an equine physio on Twitter is brilliant analysis and showed that he may actually now have a preference to going left handed –

Ray1891
    Participant
    • Total Posts 122

I wonder if CYRNAME will go steaming out by 3-5 lengths and stay there again, That would make it very hard for ALTIOR at the end of the race. Im buzzing for this one

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1843

I don’t think this will be the mouthwatering clash people will be expecting. Cyrname will show his form after his first run. Altior I would imagine will win easy on Saturday.

befairbefair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1116

Altior at 4-6 in a 2 horse race is an unmissable bet; I’ve made plenty on him over the years, so will be steaming in on Saturday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 22219

Put a couple of quid on Altior To Win The 2019 Christy 1965 Chase, King George Chase & The 2020 Cheltenham Gold Cup at 66’s. All the talk is him running in the King George so if he wins that the possibility of going for Gold will increase.

Member since March 2008
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22219

Just went to double up on that but down to 20’s now… :wacko:

Member since March 2008
    SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

Altior’s reputation has been structured and tended to and altered over a long time. He won his first race on October 10th 2015. In 18 appearance since he remains unbeaten. He’s won 10 Grade 1s and 5 Grade 2s. His current official rating is 175, a mark that as been unchanged over six races since he earned it winning the 2018 Queen Mother Champion Chase.

Cyrname’s official rating is 176, awarded after winning last time out at Ascot. He has won 1 Grade 1 and 2 Grade 2s. The highest official rating of Cyrname’s career – 150, was taken into his Ascot race on January 19th 2019. Like Altior he had held that rating for all 6 of his previous runs, showing not 1lb of improvement. But this was to be the day that puzzle was to burst open and the pieces scattered everywhere.

Cyrname led at the 2nd, clicked into a high cruising gear, jumped with great efficiency and was never in danger of even seeing a rival. Just under 4 weeks later Cyrname returned to Ascot ( same trip) and mowed everything down in even more astonishing fashion. His official rating was increased to 176. In two races he had gone from officially being Altior’s inferior to the tune of 25lbs, to being 1lb superior to him. The turnaround took him 28 days. How did he achieve this?

I had a dig around looking for an obvious explanation. Nicholls, Cyrname’s trainer will try anything legal to get improvement from a horse. An altered training regime, work partner, diet, position in yard, new trip … all of these are listed on the standard improvement menu for every trainer. A good little recipe is often found, but very rarely a mixture as effective as the one that had changed the lives of Cyrname and connections so explosively.

Hints can sometime be found in the post-race comments of connections, but there is nothing obvious in those from the Ascot races:

16Feb19 Ascot (21GS, RPR 181)

I thought Cyrname was good but I didn’t realise he was that good. Words can’t describe how impressive that was. I’ve always thought he was a Punchestown Gold Cup horse but we’ll leave it to Paul ? he’s the master of placing horses – Harry Cobden, jockey. I don’t know where that leaves us but we’ll have to look at the Ryanair – Paul Nicholls, trainer.
    19Jan19 Ascot (21GS, RPR 178)

Cyrname’s first run this season was good and we probably wrongly dropped him in trip next time and now he will probably come back for the Grade 1 Betfair Ascot Chase as his form says he is undoubtedly better racing this way round. You could see today when he is left alone and has that rail next to him he gets into a good rhythm and gets the other out of one. We always thought he was going to be a Grade 1 horse and he is now doing what we thought he was capable of this season – Harry Derham, assistant to winning trainer Paul Nicholls

That reference to a preference for right handed courses seems solid; he’s 0 from 3 left handed and 5 from 10 right handed. Ascot too is gaining a reputation as Cyrname’s key while being a barrier to Altior’s chances, yet Cyrname is 2 from 5 at Ascot; Altior is 2 from 2.
    Anyway, back to the investigation on where Cyrname’s improvement had come from. Some cited the step up in trip over previous seasons, but it had been just a furlong or so; unlikely in my view to have generated such striking figures, but quite likely to have contributed to the overall improvement.

So, what had changed for Cyrname? Headgear check: nope, headgear free on both big wins … what next … whoah … Cyrname had worn a hood on every outing since his third victory in France. It was left off for both Ascot wins.

In the absence of other evidence I’m going to assume that removing the hood has been the significant factor in Cyrname’s sudden improvement. The intention of a hood is to offer the horse some protection from the sound at racecourses and lower the stress levels. I have no deep figure access to the general success of horses where the hood has been used/discontinued/resumed, but perhaps one or two of the twitterati could chip in some data here.

My suspicion is that with the passing of time and the horse adjusting to the ‘new’ situation, the effectiveness of the hood change will fade. Still, I’d like more evidence on this so won’t be having a bet on Saturday.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

DBRDBRDBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

So Altior vs Cyrname and Solomon Grey are the three left.

Altior 8/11

I don’t think Cyrname will get him into real trouble and he will leave Cyrname behind after the last.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2570

Yeah, cant be against altior personally and probably the only time youll ever get this kind of price on him, dont think he will stay the KG trip but this should be fine, will winn comfortably IMO

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4854

Have already backed ALTIOR for this at 4/5 and 8/11 and most of you on here will know I am not a regular odds on punter but this was a gift from the Gods!!

IMO Cyrname is not in Altior’s league and has beaten handicappers and horses like Joe said that have reputations but haven’t done the bizzo regularly on course

Sit close up and then show the speed that Altior obviously possesses will be the outcome

:good: :good:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.