The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Christmas Hurdle 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Christmas Hurdle 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Yeah well done on that!

Don’t see any 10/1 left so your a bit late with the sermon.

No one said they weren’t ready to run well. I said not 100% and if you think he does have them 100% then you know nothing of the man.

If you think the horse has no chance then you don’t know racing and you certainly don’t know Nicky Henderson.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Dont let those that dont know their horses rattle you Fist, Mick Fitz just confirmed what we have said, that you will see a different Binocular come Cheltenham!

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Dont let those that dont know their horses rattle you Fist, Mick Fitz just confirmed what we have said, that you will see a different Binocular come Cheltenham!

Crazy after all of last years ‘Will he get up the hill’ comments that we think he’s a better horse around Cheltenham now! :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Crazy after all of last years ‘Will he get up the hill’ comments that we think he’s a better horse around Cheltenham now! :lol:

I still think he will go off favourite too Halfway,my money is still on Celestial,you dont give up on good horses,simple as that!

• Total Posts 128

Just after reading all the recent posts on the Champion Hurdle debate, Im still in shock!! How on earth can anyone say that Go Native wont win, as he doesn’t get up the Cheltenham hill??? Now Henderson and J.P. reckon Cheltenhams stiffer test will suit Binocular??? Does Captain Cee Bee or Punjabi and Celestial Halo ring a bell??!!! This is a fact: Thats how good Binocular is, no better. Also, Go Native HAS proven he gets up that hill at Cheltenham. Although I think Zaynar is a marvellous horse, and one I like immensely, I just think he may be more of a stayer, and lack the devestating turn of foot that Go Native has. That said, at this point, hes the main threat. Kyber Kim is improving at a rate of knots, and cant be dismissed lightly.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I like you! in fact I’ve always liked you but when it comes to racing your patters rotten! :mrgreen:

Have you the faintest idea how many times I’ve seen horses who people like you scorned at and ended up with egg all over their face.

Now here’s the reality of the thing or so I am led to believe. Binny got beat in the Champion Hurdle so Nicky decided change of plan. Slowly away get him ready for the big day and let Punjabi who stands up to any amount of racing chase the million pound bonus.

The gallops are a disaster can’t get enough work into Punjabi he can’t possibly win…..withdraw him.

Binocular is working away next thing he’s running….Not Nicky’s Idea! Win if you can but do not give hima hard race. AP rides him out hands and hells but on his return the horse is goosed……….really down in the dumps……..He starts working well but still not at his best a race is what he needs and he could win but will come on for the run………..runs well despite a mistake at a crucial point is beaten under 2 lengths…….come home he’s fine…………find one more race for him…….an easy one just to keep him fresh, then off to Cheltenham.

Back what you like but come March what beats him wins….He’s still number 1 in Nicky’s pecking order and number one in mine……..Never knew Mick Fitz had said that but you know what………He’s right :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Fist, I have been told that Binocular did a sensational piece of work before Kempton, as good a piece of work as ever he did. However, he just doesn’t seem to be sparkling on the track, and I don’t know how you could back him with any great confidence AT THE PRESENT MOMENT IN TIME. I am not writing him off yet though, and will see how he runs next time out before making a judgement call on the Champion Hurdle.

At the moment I still quite like Solwhit, I think the fast pace and stiff finish at Cheltenham will suit him down to the ground. Going will be Good-Soft or Soft, although obviously if its heavy (highly unlikely) his chances of success will be increased. He faces a stiff task tomorrow against some classy horses but given a decent pace I expect him to beat Sublimity and co.

The Champion Hurdle picture is still as foggy as Leopardstown and there are very few which can be written off at this stage in the game.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Mate I actually PM’d someone on here to tell them he according to a certain jockey had worked great before Kempton.

There’s thing you have to consider when hearing these things.

Binocular is an ex flat horse so he does tend to find 7f at 3/4 speed very easy. In comparison to what he was like after Newcastle he could only look good to those around. He’s not had an uninterrupted passage like Go Native he was off for over a week I believe before going back into work. He’s apparently a real grafter at home and the more work he gets the better…..that break won’t have helped.

While I’m on… the horse that’s really catching the eye at Henderson’s is Dave’s Dream. I think Nicky will give up training if he gets beat tomorrow. :wink: Hope to hell that doesn’t jinx him.

I have to go; I’m preparing a speech for when Binocular wins the Champion Hurdle and "Who’s yer Daddy" is as far as I’ve got :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

A big plus for Zaynar and Go Native is we know they act on the course the minus is can they act on it at Champion Hurdle pace? Punjabi, Celestial Halo and Binocular can and that’s a huge advantage to take into the race.

Was last years supreme novices that much slower than the champion hurdle???

SHL

dunk disorderly
    • Total Posts 26

Mate I actually PM’d someone on here to tell them he according to a certain jockey had worked great before Kempton.

There’s thing you have to consider when hearing these things.

Binocular is an ex flat horse so he does tend to find 7f at 3/4 speed very easy. In comparison to what he was like after Newcastle he could only look good to those around. He’s not had an uninterrupted passage like Go Native he was off for over a week I believe before going back into work. He’s apparently a real grafter at home and the more work he gets the better…..that break won’t have helped.

While I’m on… the horse that’s really catching the eye at Henderson’s is Dave’s Dream. I think Nicky will give up training if he gets beat tomorrow. :wink: Hope to hell that doesn’t jinx him.

I have to go; I’m preparing a speech for when Binocular wins the Champion Hurdle and "Who’s yer Daddy" is as far as I’ve got :lol:

Good term Fist,I do follow Hendos horses,as ive said i like Binoculer enough to back him but not after the fifth,I will be backing at least 2 today at Newbury.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9229

I was all set to contact Fist to see what it’s like to drive around in a new merc but, alas, I’ll have to wait.

I’m afraid that Binocular gives every impression of not being good enough. Beaten fair and square last time and, despite some of the logic espoused on this thread, I’m afraid he ran poorly here. He was beaten soundly last Champion Hurdle and, on all visual and formbook evidence, it would take a significant leap of Fistesque faith to see him winning a Champion Hurdle.

Go Native, on the other hand, has proven Newcastle to have been no fluke. He’s proven at Cheltenham and with challengers (Binocular and Celestial Halo in particular) falling by the wayside fast he must have a great chance in the Champion Hurdle.

Zaynar has looked impressive but still has it to prove against top class opposition for me and I think that the tough and under-rated Punjabi could be the one that the Meade horse will have most to fear from in March.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I like you! in fact I’ve always liked you but when it comes to racing your patters rotten! :mrgreen:

Back what you like but come March what beats him wins….He’s still number 1 in Nicky’s pecking order and number one in mine……..Never knew Mick Fitz had said that but you know what………He’s right :)

I like people who tell it as it is and that is how i am,there may be a bit of patter now and again but on this occassion i think you have misunderstood me!My position regarding Binocular is this-. I said at the time of his fighting fifth run,that was not him,when others said No good!I say the same about his Xmas hurdle run,he is the horse to take out the race,i am convinced he is being laid out for the Champion hurdle!No where have i said i am actually going to back him for the champion as i have said it umpteen times my money is on Celestial Halo. Anyone who rates Celestial has to respect Binocular,because we know what Binny has done to him when he is on song,its called a memory,something that many have,but many more have short ones!If anything i am guilty of supporting you Fist,from the many who think Binocular has had it!Sometimes you have to stand back to back and fight your way out of a corner,but you would rather throw eggs at me! :cry:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

I’ve been wondering about whether these ‘bonus’ races make trainers campaign horses in a way that doesn’t suit them..ie more often than usual, earlier in the season etc. I was under the impression that Go Native was very much a Cheltenham horse and that would be the aim for him. Annoyingly I didn’t back him for the Ch Hurdles ante post which I planned to do.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

I think we have all seen enough of binocular to know he can certainly be placed, and therefore possibly win the champion hurdle. In fact, give me the right odds and I would certainly back him. But we also know now he is isnt a special horse and a genuinely top horse will probably always have his number.

I actually thought the horse to take out of the other day was a horse I was quite set against and thats Zaynar. Cape tribulation ran a very respectible race at Kempton.

SHL

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

When you sit down and really think about it judging horses on a run or two almost always leaves you with egg on your face.

Look at What a Friend today. If you care to look back last years threads myself and a couple of others said he looked an awesome prospect. Others said he was a monkey with a weird head carriage. He ran in the RSA and I thought, what a mug I was for backing him, now he goes and wins the Lexus.

Conclusion is if I had said he would win the Lexus this season after Cheltenham I would have been laughed off the forum.

So it doesn’t always pay to look and leap, sometimes you have to take a step back.

I done that and spent a long time studying Binocular’s races last season and this. I also kept a close eye on AP, as a jockeys body language can tell you a lot about how a horse is actually going and whether he’s confident ultra confident or knows his animal isn’t going to win.

So I didn’t just come on here and say I think he’ll still win the Champion Hurdle armed only with a keyboard.

In my opinion, for what it’s worth, we have only seen a glimpse of the Binocular who won at Ascot last season. He travelled ok at Kempton but not like he can and the race wasn’t being run at a fast pace. In his races when he’s right he’s always got there easily but AP began to look slightly uneasy before the third last, shifts his weight slightly and decided to go for a big one and doesn’t get it. That made no difference to the result IMO I think he’d gone before the mistake and wasn’t going to win.

When you look at Binocular at Aintree and Ascot he is chasing a far better and quicker horse than Straw Bear or Cape Tribulation and got to him in both races without as much as a hint of effort. If Celestial Halo had been setting the pace yesterday Straw Bear wouldn’t have been able to go the gallop and Binocular would have been beaten much further.

At Kempton I saw Binocular racing despite AP sitting fairly quiet not cruising like I know he can. I think Nicky is biding his time and while the horse is fit enough to race he’s no where near as fit as he will be at Cheltenham. This is no different than PN sending Kauto Star to Haydock fit to run but come the big it would make you wonder what he was feeding him between races.

I simply can’t see Binocular not being involved in the finish of the Champion Hurdle and if he’s back to his best and another year on his back he could well make all his doubters look very silly.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Look at What a Friend today. If you care to look back last years threads myself and a couple of others said he looked an awesome prospect. Others said he was a monkey with a weird head carriage. He ran in the RSA and I thought, what a mug I was for backing him, now he goes and wins the Lexus.

and you are a mug for not backing him then! I said before the Hennessey that P,Nicholls knew Denman couldn"t give that sort of weight away to What a Friend,who was tuned to the minute for it!Denman did though and that is why Paul got so emotional,he was as amazed as myself!The performance of the season bar none!

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

"The Ante-Post King" wrote:

and you are a mug for not backing him then! I said before the Hennessey that P,Nicholls knew Denman couldn"t give that sort of weight away to What a Friend,who was tuned to the minute for it!Denman did though and that is why Paul got so emotional,he was as amazed as myself!The performance of the season bar none!

The reason Paul was so emotional was that he had just lost a grand on What A Friend :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 154 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.