The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheltenham NRNB?

Home Forums Horse Racing Cheltenham NRNB?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

Kasp,I thought it might be just the ‘World Hurdle’ that had the Rule 4 proviso due to

Big Bucks

being an Odds-on fav so i spoke to them again tonight and guess what i have been told this time……..

LADBROKES will apply a Rule 4 to ALL Cheltenham NRNB wagers

thats after being re-assured that my

Synchronised

bet would be paid at 12/1 if he was the only horse to turn up. Ladbrokes really are a law unto themselves.The only benefit of this bet is if your horse doesn’t run you get your money back but its certainly not an Ante-Post wager by any means! :roll:

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4517

Little confused here. I suspect many punters like myself have taken 4/5 Big Bucks and expect to get paid at that price. Someone needs to drag out the Ladbrokes mouthpiece and get him to explain the smallprint in front of a camera.

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

Little confused here. I suspect many punters like myself have taken 4/5 Big Bucks and expect to get paid at that price. Someone needs to drag out the Ladbrokes mouthpiece and get him to explain the smallprint in front of a camera.

Stilvi,have you taken 4/5 under the NRNB proviso? Or have you taken 4/5 under the normal Ante-Post rules?

kasparovkasparov
    • Total Posts 660

Stilvi – at worst you will get about 3/5. They could for example apply a rule 4 if Oscar Whisky drops out.

My suspicion is that they are protecting themselves with this rule and they won’t apply it unless they are desperate as it could create some badwill and confusion.

kasparovkasparov
    • Total Posts 660

The more I think about this the more complicated it gets. Suppose one had backed Sizing Europe for the Champion Chase NRNB before Ladbroke quoted for Al Ferof. He is now quoted. If Al Ferof in fact doesn’t enter can he then create a rule 4 deduction when he wasn’t quoted at the time the bet was struck? I would say no, but if so this means Ladbroke would need to record the full tissue for every NRNB bet at the time it was taken in order to treat punters fairly. I doubt if they would do this.

Therefore I reckon they would do the rule 4 only if a principal horse that was quoted at the outset pulled out – say Long Run or Big Bucks or Hurricane Fly or Sizing Europe. Even then they might not apply it as I can imagine the consequences. Suppose one backed Oscar Whisky with Ladbroke at 6-1. Big Bucks pulls out. Oscar Whisky wins. Ladbrokes deducts rule 4 so Oscar Whisky pays out at less than 3-1. Meanwhile everyone else is getting 8-1 from the other firms. Some punters complain. Although Ladbrokes points out it has paid back millions to Big Bucks punters so it is being fair, some people will be disgruntled.It’s more likely that Ladbroke would choose to act differently and spin it better: "We lost £x million in fulfilling our unique promise to refund Big Bucks punters in full and we are also paying out on Oscar Whisky without a deduction as a gesture of goodwill on a race we are proud to sponsor."

Maybe this is wishful thinking. Perhaps someone who works at Ladbroke could clarify.

kasparovkasparov
    • Total Posts 660

I see fitzer raised the rule 4 issue last year when Binocular dropped out of the Champion Hurdle. It doesn’t look if he got a reply, but perhaps someone remembers if there was a Ladbroke rule 4 deduction on Hurricane Fly.

McMahonRacing
    • Total Posts 1

The bookmakers are out skim the punter. They are market tradesman and are all about the sell. You have to tread careful with them especially when it comes to their offers. They are aiming their sell at the punters inherent need to find value to play their trick cards. You will never be better off listening to bookmakers. They are the punters enemy and always will be. They should be looked on with contempt. They only want to fleece you more of your lowly worth. Any bonus bet is not worth the bother. Unless you have a 80% strike rate at backing a selection you will always fall short of beating the bookie. The best way to deal with these highly contemptuous types is to stay clear of anything they advertise. ie Offers. Marketing Techniques, so called freebies..etc etc I just stick to the old fashioned each way single stakes bet. Its not trying to be clever its just common sense. I do not trust any of them. Especially if they are on line. 8)

Punter power

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.