The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheltenham NRNB?

Home Forums Horse Racing Cheltenham NRNB?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 610

Hi Chaps,

Anyone know when the whole No Runner no Bet thing for Cheltenham is likely to kick in? I seem to remember that Ladbrokes had it around this time last year, but I can’t quite remember!

Any help gratefully received.

FLD

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Ladbrokes did it on the Championship races (Gold Cup, Champion Hurdle, Champion Chase and World Hurdle) from November last year.

The firms normally go NRNB at the start of March.

Martin

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

I know Ladbrokes are doing it on the World Hurdle so you can take 4/5 if you think Big Bucks only has to turn up.

kasparovkasparov
    • Total Posts 662

Ladbroke certainly are NRNB for the big 4 races. However, I believe (but am not certain) that they can apply rule 4 at their discretion. This makes it less of a good deal than might appear. e.g. if you back Zarkander with them and Hurricane Fly (quoted at 2-1) doesn’t turn up you will be hit by a big rule 4 deduction.

On the other hand I think 2-1 NRNB is a better deal on HF than 5-2 antepost.

It’s a bit murky though as rule 4 is designed for races where the entered runners are committed and no fresh entries are allowed. The special NRNB rule 4 can only work against you in these Cheltenham races whereas one might argue that if a new horse enters the race at low odds you should get a reverse rule 4 ie enhanced odds to compensate.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

‘rule 4 at their discretion’

That sounds murky enough in itself.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

Not sure where you have got this idea from – the point of ante-post prices is you might be getting a bigger price than SP and Rule 4 does NOT apply.

kasparovkasparov
    • Total Posts 662

I got the idea from a Ladbrokes shop when I went in to bet on the Gold Cup. It said on the screen NRNB rule 4 may apply. I queried it with the man in the shop and he said it did apply.

But
    1. it doesn’t say that on the website (but it doesn’t say antepost rules either)
    2. I am not sure if the man in the shop knew what he was talking about.

So some doubt in my mind, but I am assuming the worst case scenario.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1572

I suspect the screen that said Rule 4 may apply is a default screen for NRNB markets. Rule 4 cannot apply to ante-post bets as the rule 4 deductions can only be applied once a horse is declared to run (48 hours in these cases). the NRNB is a concession by Ladbrokes in their ante-post market. I’m sure an email to their customer support would confirm this.

kasparovkasparov
    • Total Posts 662

My email to Ladbrokes has confirmed they will make rule 4 deductions on their NRNB Cheltenham markets. :( You have been warned.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

I still don’t believe it.

kasparovkasparov
    • Total Posts 662

It does seem rather odd but not totally unreasonable. Are there precedents from last year?

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1572

Its not really an ante-post bet then is it. Whatever it is Ladbrokes should call it something else. Personally I always thought the point of backing ante-post was to search out value in comparison to day of event prices and you accepted that sometimes your fancy never got to post.

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

My email to Ladbrokes has confirmed they will make rule 4 deductions on their NRNB Cheltenham markets. :( You have been warned.

That has to be the biggest joke of the year Kasp! If you backed

Synchronised

now at 12/1 and Long Run,Kauto Star and Grand Crus dont turn up,their rule 4 deductions would leave you being paid out at 2/1.That is not Ante-Post betting.My understanding was typical Ladbrokes,they offer this NRNB but go shortest on all prices available compared to other firms. :roll:

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

Just backed

Synchronised

with Ladbrokes at 12/1 NRNB and they assure me if nothing else turns up i will get paid at 12/1 Kasp! Panic over! :D

kasparovkasparov
    • Total Posts 662

This is my email from Ladbroke (after I had asked them to double check the rule and give an example)

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding your bet.
    I can confirm that if Big Bucks is withdrawn from there race an appropiate Rule 4 deduction will be applied to any bets placed in the Non Runner No Bet market."

Fairly clear I would say. Maybe they don’t like me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.