The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP 2009 and 2010

Home Forums Archive Topics CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP 2009 and 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 341 through 357 (of 623 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Interesting that they said Denman had perked up a lot since his usual lass had returned from maternity leave; seem to remember something similar happening years ago with The Langholme Dyer [although not at Gold Cup level].

• Total Posts 2440

That’s good to hear about Denman.

The horse could go down as one of the best steeplechasers ever, the sport needs horses like him.

Slightly difficult what to think at the moment though, Findlay saying that he is a ‘gone horse’ one minute, then next he is working ‘9 out of 10’ at home.

• Total Posts 1982

That’s good to hear about Denman.

The horse could go down as one of the best steeplechasers ever, the sport needs horses like him.

Slightly difficult what to think at the moment though, Findlay saying that he is a ‘gone horse’ one minute, then next he is working ‘9 out of 10’ at home.

Agreed, Gaz.

There’s been so many contradicting messages from connections that I don’t know who / who I want to believe.

I wonder if he’ll display the same ‘enthusiasm’ at the racecourse?

Hope he makes it. 7/1 could end up being a massive price about a horse who won so impressively last season.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Well, I do not think Denman will be withdrawn unless something "new" has come to light.

7/1 is starting to worry me though. Why would Ladbrokes go that price?

I’m starting to think the 15/8 Kauto at Hills should be taken NOW – or at least as soon as they are NRNB.

If Denman is going to be a lesser creature come Friday week….what can seriously beat KS? I wanted to back Denman E/W…bu the negativity of his price is just too off-putting.

Zip

• Total Posts 1415

Denman has no chance of winning. There’s no way they would go 7/1 unless they knew the horse couldn’t win.

• Total Posts 1537

I don’t see the point in running it unless it has a good chance. If it was Kauto it would probably be rested until next season, either that or they do think he has a chance.

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

Why wouldn’t they run him? He would be no good stuck in his box, it will do him the world of good and there’s no where else for him to go.

Then it’s off for along rest.

He was fit enough to see of some fair animals last time out. He will have come on a ton from that.

If he is not 100% fit you wouldn’t expect him to blow up until between the 3rd and 2nd last fence and by that time a lot of the damage will be done. He could be so far in front of the majority it will be impossible for them to catch him

I’m one of the many who think his win last season was in a lot of ways down to a poor display by Kauto Star and never expected him to have it all his own way this year. I have always had the impression PN and RW were of the same opinion.

That aside he can still stretch the best of them and if anything goes wrong with Kauto Star who knows?

I suppose he could get run out of it up the hill by Exotic Dancer or NC but he could still get placed or even win if something goes amiss.

I can’t see Pipes horse winning as if Denman takes it up at the same place as he did last year I think MDB will be sickened off very quickly.

Not much else to worry about really and Deman will let them all know they have been in a race 100% or not.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32971

Notre Pere is 23/1 in betting without Kauto Star and Denman.

That looks massive, is only 7/1 with Skybet, though 9/1 without Kauto, Denman and Neptunes Collonges with Tote.

Anyone know how certain Notre Pere is to run in the Gold Cup?

I think he should be around 14 or 16/1 to WIN the thing.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 1537

Aristo – if he’s not 100% then i don’t see much point in running him in a race that contributed to much of his problem in the first place. I was thinking that maybe he should be put away for a crack at the whip next season, but others know more than me with regards to what would be the right thing to do. I guess we’ll find out after the race.

PaleRider
    • Total Posts 52

Aristo – if he’s not 100% then i don’t see much point in running him in a race that contributed to much of his problem in the first place. I was thinking that maybe he should be put away for a crack at the whip next season, but others know more than me with regards to what would be the right thing to do. I guess we’ll find out after the race.

If Denman wins, after the race he did the other day ,i will go in to town naked and demand to be locked up !!! :oops:

• Total Posts 638

This is just a hunch… but it may affect Denman’s price (if not his chances).
    At Kempton it was remarked upon that Denman did not ‘look himself’, he is a liver chestnut and has turned up to at least one previous Festival covered in blotches, so he is not easy to having looking handsome at the best of times.
    However, it was noticeable that he was not platted up and this gave him a scruffy and unkempt look at Sunbury, which was factored into his performance retrospectively. My take, FWIW…. was that platting a horse gives it the information that it is about to race and can start a tightening process in the animal, given his heart condition they probably wanted to have the Champ’ as relaxed as possible for as long as possible before the Aon/Levy Board race.
    Come Gold Cup day they are likely to revert to their usual preparation and have the horse looking much more toned and groomed than 4 weeks ago. If I am right, this will be seen as a big positive pre race and could move the market in his favour. All conjecture but wouldn’t surprise me.

PaleRider
    • Total Posts 52

This is just a hunch… but it may affect Denman’s price (if not his chances).
    At Kempton it was remarked upon that Denman did not ‘look himself’, he is a liver chestnut and has turned up to at least one previous Festival covered in blotches, so he is not easy to having looking handsome at the best of times.
    However, it was noticeable that he was not platted up and this gave him a scruffy and unkempt look at Sunbury, which was factored into his performance retrospectively. My take, FWIW…. was that platting a horse gives it the information that it is about to race and can start a tightening process in the animal, given his heart condition they probably wanted to have the Champ’ as relaxed as possible for as long as possible before the Aon/Levy Board race.
    Come Gold Cup day they are likely to revert to their usual preparation and have the horse looking much more toned and groomed than 4 weeks ago. If I am right, this will be seen as a big positive pre race and could move the market in his favour. All conjecture but wouldn’t surprise me.

I saw the way he jumped at Kempton ,that alone says he cant win ! he put down 6 or 7 times ,hes not the same Horse !! :cry:

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

I’m traying with great difficulty to keep calm here due to the posts I am reading.

Graeme be a good lad and tell us how the Gold Cup contibuted to Denmans heart problem. It had absolutely nothing to do with it!!! It’s something an animal has be it a dog a cat or a horse or they don’t have.

What it did to is contribute to the horse being rested and not being pushed to hard at home. He was no where near fit at Kempton for pete’s sake. Harry Findlay didn’t even want to watch as he knew the horse was no where near right.

For someone to say at this stage he is not the same horse is just plain silly. He isn’t exactly an old age pensioner and given time he will be back as strong as ever.

I have never regarded him as good a horse as Kauto Star but by golly he is some machine.

I don’t think he will win this Gold Cup if he runs but then I never did. If PN runs him he’ll run a good race then be put away and come back with all cylinders firing next season.

Finished my backside :roll:

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

Aristo – even the owner has stated that he thought the Gold CUp done the horse in… Sam T threw everything at him to keep him going up the hill when he was almost flooping to the floor… If you dont think that would have an effect on the horses heart then i’m not sure what you think was the cause… Maybe someone just shouted BOO at him a few weeks later?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32971

Notre Pere is 23/1 in betting without Kauto Star and Denman.

That looks massive, is only 7/1 with Skybet, though 9/1 without Kauto, Denman and Neptunes Collonges with Tote.

Anyone know how certain Notre Pere is to run in the Gold Cup?

I think he should be around 14 or 16/1 to WIN the thing.

Mark

Thought it sounded wrong. As Big Mac would say, someone somewhere knew something.

Notre Pere’s had a slight set back and is out of the Gold Cup.

Hope he’ll be able to run in the Grand National.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Thats the first of my ante post bets in the bin; darn it….

• Total Posts 1537

Aristo – underscore pretty much answered your question. I’ve also saw Denmans gold cup win referred to as a ‘flogging’, which in my opinion insinuates that that run contributed to his problems. If he hasn’t got a chance of winning, then i just don’t see the same race as the answer to his return. However he will run to defend his crown, so that’s that really.

Viewing 17 posts - 341 through 357 (of 623 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.