Cheltenham 2017 – the bad each way angle

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2017 Cheltenham 2017 – the bad each way angle

This topic contains 25 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  RacingLife 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

RacingLife
    Participant
    • Total Posts 86

Hi Guys,

I don’t know how you all feel about doing bad each-way bets – singles, doubles, trebles? I love them, some people don’t like them or look down on them but I really don’t know why…if you don’t like them that’s fair enough I just wanted to create a thread to discuss what we think might be the ‘best’ bad ew horses of the festival.

Cheltenham is great because you can take 3 places 1/5 the odds NRNB in a market like the Arkle or in the Queen Mother and there is a fair chance that you might only have 6 or 7 runners on the day.. it’s almost a license to print money.

My picks so far –

Arkle –

Charbel 8/1 – there was 10/1 up to a few days ago which I have in a couple of bets but still the 8/1 is quite good and I will be adding him to a few more. He seems like the ‘solid’ option in this race, around 2.5 in the place only market on Betfair right now, this could be a lot shorter on Tuesday)

Royal Caviar 14/1 – I don’t particularly like this horse but I might put him into a couple of doubles anyway as 14/5 is better than the odds of around 3.1-3.2 in the place market.

The other horses in this race I don’t know very much about but Cloudy Dream really looks like he could be another great each way bet… currently you can get 16/1 wSpith some firms NRNB yet he is floating around 2/1 in the place market.

Champion Chase

Gods Own 14/1 If you look down the betting for this race then after Douvan you have Altior and Un De Sceaux who both won’t go for this and Fox Norton who I think there might be a doubt for?.. Or am I wrong about that?… Anyway he looks a good one for your bad EW multiples.

The one that I really like here however is Special Tiara who should get conditions to suit for the first time this season – unfortunately the 25/1 is gone now but you can still get 20/1 in some places, has to a be a great pick to put in an EW double as there is no way in hell Special Tiara will be a 4/1 to shot to finish in the first three on the day

Stayers Hurdle – Cole Harden 5/1 (w/o the favourite)… this might be my favourite one as your getting even money about him finishing in the top 4 (if you include uknowwhatimeanharry in that first 4) and against most of the horse quoted near the top of the market in this race won’t be running in it.

Remember if you are doing these types of bets you need to do them while the markets are still ante post and NRNB (i.e. before 48 hours declarations) so that you are getting your 3 places… otherwise you will have R4s and you will be subject to the place terms according to the amount of runners on the day.

Best of luck all!!

RacingLife
    Participant
    • Total Posts 86

IF you decide to do some of these bad ew horses in doubles and trebles then do them in shops, don’t do them on any accounts that you have access to as the companies really take a dim view of this type of thing.

My fav bet at the minute is an each-way treble – Charbel 8/1, Special Tiara 20/1 and Cole Harden 8/1 (in the regular stayers market which for a £10 ew stake returns £17,348.00 if they somehow all won (hardly) but if they all place then it pays £338.00.. which is not bad when it would probably pay around 10/1 on a straight place market treble

RacingLife
    Participant
    • Total Posts 86

What do you guys all think? Will you be planning to do any of these types of doubles and trebles this year?

What sort of horses are you looking at to get placed in these races? Any particularly strong place fancies?

Regards,
    C

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

Sounds like an expressway to a 0.01% account to me! :negative:

RacingLife
    Participant
    • Total Posts 86

Sounds like an expressway to a 0.01% account to me! :negative:

Of course but just use shops instead.. put the legwork in and you can get a tenner on in ten different shops – when it comes to Cheltenham these bets won’t even be looked at by security, believe me.

RacingLife
    Participant
    • Total Posts 86

A bit more difficult to get around 10 shops if you don’t live in a city maybe

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

Yeah I suppose so, not sure I could live with myself though. I think I’ll stick to handbag thefts and burglary.

RacingLife
    Participant
    • Total Posts 86

Yeah I suppose so, not sure I could live with myself though. I think I’ll stick to handbag thefts and burglary.

Fair enough, I don’t personally feel too much remorse for these firms when I see the way they have promoted the use of FOBTs over the last 10 years through promotions and giveaways, creating a generation of hard gambling addicts in order to fill their coffers.. maybe donating a portion of the profits to the NHS to help treat the victims of these companies might be an idea.

RacingLife
    Participant
    • Total Posts 86

Fair enough, I don’t personally feel too much remorse for these firms when I see the way they have promoted the use of FOBTs over the last 10 years through promotions and giveaways, creating a generation of hard gambling addicts in order to fill their coffers.. maybe donating a portion of the profits to the NHS to help treat the victims of these companies might be an idea.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

Welcome back Lost Soldier, good to see back on here.

I don’t see the problem with this good luck to Racing Daily.

William Hill are still offering odds (or were last time I looked) with no NRNB on horses that are not going to be running, hardly a fair chance there

Racing Daily’s bet is on odds and places on offer from the bookie, he hasn’t set the prices himself, he’s more likely to lose then win, I’d be baffled if he appeared on Crimewatch.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

RacingLife
    Participant
    • Total Posts 86

Welcome back Lost Soldier, good to see back on here.

I don’t see the problem with this good luck to Racing Daily.

William Hill are still offering odds (or were last time I looked) with no NRNB on horses that are not going to be running, hardly a fair chance there

Racing Daily’s bet is on odds and places on offer from the bookie, he hasn’t set the prices himself, he’s more likely to lose then win, I’d be baffled if he appeared on Crimewatch.

Thanks Nathan, I was a little baffled by the response I got too… All that I am doing is taking advantage of the inefficiencies in the each way system – 90% of the time each way works to the bookies advantage (i.e. the ‘place’ part of your bet is a much worse price than the ‘true place’ odds…14 runner handicaps for example, you bet a 12/1 each-way in one of those and you can be fairly sure that the place odds you’re getting (12/4 or 3/1) will be much less than the true odds)… and if the bookies are offering NRNB ante post betting then I have no moral issue in punishing them for it – they are doing it as a loss leader anyway in order to get people into their shops or onto their websites. They know they are losing money by doing it.

Vautour
    Vautour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 596

Thanks for that, Racing Life. The place opportunities in the Arkle and Queen Mother are interesting. I’ve added the following to my portfolio on the back of your advice.

Bet 1
    Royal Caviar – 14/1
    Gods Own – 12/1
    Clondaw Warrior without Harry – 7/1

Fiver each way treble pays 150 if they all place

Bet 2
    Royal Caviar – 14/1
    Gods Own – 12/1
    Petit Mouchoir – 7/1
    Alpha Des Obeaux – 6/1

Fiver each way pays 355 if they all place :mail: :mail: :mail: :mail:

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4510

Be careful with these bets guys!!

I have had several accounts closed for these type of bets. If the bookies don’t spot them fine but if they analyse your type of bets and spot them your accounts will be closed pretty darned quick!!

I had two accounts closed last April for three each way doubles and an each way treble all at Aintree
    Shaneshill
    Le Prezien
    The Game Changer

Filthy each ways they used to be called!! :good:

Vautour
    Vautour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 596

Why would they close your account?

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4510

It is called each way filth for a reason Vautour.

the reason being the bookies consider it to be a less of a risk to the punter than the odds reflect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.