The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Charlie Hall Chase 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Charlie Hall Chase 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 2440

Seems that Knockara Beau may make his seasonal re-apperance here next weekend.

Have always thought this horse has a lot of ability and potential if he could just get his jumping together.

Has some good form in the book, 2nd’s behind Diamond Harry, Weird Al, etc… and ran 4th in the RSA behind Weapon’s Amnesty at Cheltenham earlier in the year.

Didn’t really run that well at Aintree, but maybe his season has caught up with him by that point.

Another horse to consider is Evan Williams’ Deep Purple, who is being trained for the race. Deep Purple will go to the Charlie Hall, then for the Peterborough Chase at Huntingdon, before taking in the Grade 1 chase at Ascot in February, 2011.

Battled on really well in the latter stages of the renewal last season and managed to get his head infront of David Pipe’s Tamarinbleu, despite giving weight away to everyone in the race except Snoopy Loopy.

Have also heard that China Rock may be running the Charlie Hall, with a view to also running in the Hennessy at Newbury at the end of November.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Knockara Beau

is a horse that pulls in a lot of form lines for me,particularly with

Weird Al

who i have high hopes for this year! Likeable sort who jumps and stays Gaz! By the way were you happy with Medermit yesterday? :D

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Oh you want to know what will win the Charlie Hall?

That’s easy

Nacarat AP McCoy

Hows that!!!!! :mrgreen:

• Total Posts 2184

China Rock seems to be improving. Doubtful Ruby will be available to take the mount though.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Race has every chance of cutting up badly Nacarat and Weird Al have only provisional bookings according to their trainers.

Weird Al’s trainer did say he would have his first race at Carlisle a while back and could still end up going there.

AP may be going to Ascot to ride Can’t buy Time and if that’s the case I wouldn’t be sure Tom George run his horse.

Nicky Henderson has 2 entered but I would imagine Barber’s Shop who’s bigger the mareket will go for the 3 miler at Ascot and Duc De Regniere could represent him here. The Ascot race is worth 3 times this so I’ll be shocked if one of them doesn’t go. Worry with the latter is his best form is at shorter trip than this. but he was impressive in his race s last year.

The Tother One seems to have had his problems but as he’s PN’s only represenative in this I would imagine he’s very straight and ready to go. Like all big races on a Saturday he’s hard man to keep out the limelight and he’s sure to go close.

Knockara Beau George Charlton stated sometime ago he was sending him for and that he is convinced he’s improved. He won at Kelso and Cralsile last year which have the 2 stiffest finishes in the country so he will be staying on when others have cried enough. Whether he has the toe to win a race of this calibre has to be doubtful.

Deep Purple. Winner last year and travels like a dream in his races. Tipped him up and backed him last year but felt very lucky because the horse he beat should have won but he’s a complete dog which allowed Deep Purple to get back up. Seems daft thing to say about ahorse who won the race before but I have hige dowubt about him getting the trip in what could be amuch better renwal.

China Rock has done well against some of the best without quite getting there but close enough to give the door a hard knock. If you took his win over Sizing Europe at face value he’d be a very short priced fa to win this. Obviously you can’t do that but it doesn’t alter the fact China Rock is winning races and that has a habit of changing a horse’s. Now he’s getting used to winning he must be a big danger to all here. The only negative is the trip he was staying on at 2m7f but that was against SE who apperaed not to stay. He did run over 3 miles but failed to get in a blow behind Pandorama.

Carruther is highly thought of by his trainer and his 4th in the Gold Cup gives him every right to be taking these horses on. I think he could run well but can’t fancy him to come out on top.

He has the same problem as the others to face what’s going to handle the ground if it remains on the fast side of good. Not sure about wethrby but it has been raining in York with more showers forecast but in the main they say it will be mostly dry.

Carruthers is at his best on heavy ground as is Knockara Beau which eliminates them immediately. China Rock and barber’s Shop would prefer some cut as would Weird Al and Nacart hence the doubts about them running. The Tother One won on fastish gound as a novice 3 yeras ago but has avoided it like the plague ever since.

That brings me back to Duc De Regniere who has won on good ground twice and at this trip may find the going more of help than a hinderence. I would have doubts about him if the ground changed dramatically but he has abit of class this horse. At one time it was debatebale about which was Nickys best staying hurdler him or Punchsstowns. he fell by the waysude abit but improved no end at the tail end of the season.

I think he could be a force to reckon with this season so I’m having a dabble just now and possible back him again if he is a confirmed runner. Not fully dependant on the ground either I just think he’s a good horse.

Duc De Regniere for me

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

As it stands, with Weird Al likely not to run, Duc de Regniere and Deep Purple are the two I’m looking at.

DP won last year, which is a big positive, obviously. However, one could be forgiven for thinking that he’s really a two-and-a-half mile horse, and there’s the possibility that last year’s success – his only win over more than 2m5f – was a bit of a fluke. He’ll be carrying five pounds more, too. On the other hand, his trainer’s had a very good record in the race recently, and I have a suspicion that this is the horse’s main target.

DdR fits a lot of the trends, and is definitely one to look out for. However, if we take a look at his last season, it seems as if his connections aren’t entirely certain whether he’s a hurdler or a chaser. However, his record in chases is four from six (compared to DPs six from 13) and, as Fist says, the predicted good ground will help him. He also looks to be a horse that’ll go well on longer trips, and is certainly one to bear in mind.

I shall make my final decision after the final declaration on Friday!

What do you think?

FLD

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

I’m going to risk an ew on Master Medic if he runs. I know the distance is an issue, but he has Buckskin on the damside which

means there should be some stamina around; he likes good ground and he goes well fresh. The Alners thought the world of him.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Duc De Regniere runs in the John Smith’s Hurdle on the same card.

• Total Posts 2440

Knockara Beau

is a horse that pulls in a lot of form lines for me,particularly with

Weird Al

who i have high hopes for this year! Likeable sort who jumps and stays Gaz!

By the way were you happy with Medermit yesterday?

:D

Considering how the fences at Aintree were, then yes, he didnt jump fantastically, and got away with a few of them, but there were many complaints at Aintree regarding the fences being too stick and far too upright.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Is this confirmed?

My shortlist has Calgary Bay, Nacarat and Barbers shop.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Afraid So!
    Thankfuly ddin’t have too much on.

Don’t know what to make of it. Either he needs a run or Nicky fancies his chances with both.

If Barber Shop were to win it would be well overdue.

He looks very well in getting weight of horses that unlike him you wouldn’t normallly see in Gold Cups.

When I heard the plan was to back AP in the last today and stick the winnings on Barber Shop. Had an awful day so far so can’t se me taking the risk.

Still have no idea what Tom George will do.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

Ollie, Ollie Ollie! :D

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Is this confirmed?

What about Weird Al?

As it stands, I would say he’s the main threat to Deep Purple…it’s the age-old conundrum – go for the horse that’s been there, done that, but maybe isn’t quite what he was, or could be, or go for the up-and-coming youngster who might just be unproven at this level.

Twitter=@PGHenn

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’d be very careful concerning Weird Al. His trainer doesn’t want to run him if it looks like a hot contest so he will go for the 20k Colin Parker Memorial Chase at Carlisle on Sunday a race both Tidal Bay and Knockara Beau have won in the past. Either one of them or both could end up going there as well if the ground doesn’t ease.

For what it’s worth none of them might win the race as Ferdy Murphy runs The Hollinwell who he thinks will beat the lot of them.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

I’d be very careful concerning Weird Al. His trainer doesn’t want to run him if it looks like a hot contest so he will go for the 20k Colin Parker Memorial Chase at Carlisle on Sunday a race both Tidal Bay and Knockara Beau have won in the past. Either one of them or both could end up going there as well if the ground doesn’t ease.

That’s why I’m waiting until Friday before I put any money down!

Twitter=@PGHenn

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Barbers shop cut from high of 10s this morning to as short as 5’s in places today.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I grabbed some 13/2 I can’t see him being much better than that now.

Look like there isn’t going to be much change regarding the ground but Carlisle already on the soft side is having monsoon weather so it will be interesting to see what runs where.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.