The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champions Day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    jeffc
    • Total Posts 1

So what do you think for Sat.

With the ground still subject to change it’s a bit early to be bold but here goes

Satchem<br>Lightning Strike<br>Pride<br>Halicarnassus<br>Puggy<br>Juniper girl<br>Kahlua Kiss

read em and weep

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Really looking forward to seeing Teofilo back in action again. Ideally Holy Roman Emperor will also take him but with Strategic Prince also in the race it looks likely to be the most informative 2yo (is that the right grammar?) contest of the year.

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I’ll be very tempted to back Strategic Prince in the Dewhurst.

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

Quote: from jeffc on 4:13 pm on Oct. 9, 2006[br]So what do you think for Sat.

With the ground still subject to change it’s a bit early to be bold but here goes

Satchem<br>Lightning Strike<br>Pride<br>Halicarnassus<br>Puggy<br>Juniper girl<br>Kahlua Kiss

read em and weep<br>

Satchem will need further than this 7f

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I hope Puggy wins, I would have won a shed load had he won last time.. That was a killer.

Sir Percy @9/2, get on it I reckon. Don’t think anything can beat him unless HR runs. Stick it in a reverse FC with notnowcato though just in case.

Interesting that Art Museum is down to run, he looked one of Ballydoyles best last year and should improve for his last run. If there’s money i’d say he’ll be expected to win.

The dewhurst is a difficult one to fathom. The rest of the field will be value due to the presence of Teofilo, I was taken by strategic prince but Duke of Marmalade is probably ballydoyle’s 3rd or 4th string in the 2yo division so you’d have to be concerned with that form. Hamoody and Hallicarnassus must have chances but I think i’ll be investing in the place market. Can’t really see past Teofilo

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

On what piece of form does Hamoody have any chance whatsoever? I’m really keen to be against this. He won what is imo the weakest juvenile pattern race all year. Bodes Galaxy has been beaten further in races like the Gimcrack and this field is better than the Gimcrack. Add in the fact that Hamoody failed to settle that day and I think it means taking a lot of what Chapple-Hyam has said (and he likes to say a lot) on trust.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Think Noseda could sign out a great season by winning this. With Pride and Hurricane Run the big dangers.

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

Sir Percy to win the Champion Stakes.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

davidjohnson Posted on 1:33 pm on Oct. 10, 2006 <br>On what piece of form does Hamoody have any chance whatsoever? I’m really keen to be against this. He won what is imo the weakest juvenile pattern race all year. Bodes Galaxy has been beaten further in races like the Gimcrack and this field is better than the Gimcrack. Add in the fact that Hamoody failed to settle that day and I think it means taking a lot of what Chapple-Hyam has said (and he likes to say a lot) on trust.  

I am expecting a big run from hamoody, on breeding and form he has class coming from out of his ears and has 2000 guineas written all over him, granted his goodwood win wasnt the best group2 ive ever seen but he did everything wrong and still won, showing some good battling qualities at the end (having pulled his head off for every single yard), make no mistake, he’ll love the extra furlong and if dettori switches him off early (which should be easier with the extra furlong) i see him winning quite easily. He’s been my Dewhurst/Guineas horse all season and I’m not going to desert him now, underestimate him at your peril.

I do really like teofilo, and think he has epsom written all over him, but hes a big rangy type at what must be his absolute minimum trip and must be somewhat vulnerable to an improving guineas type with more tactical speed, he did well to beat HRE last time but its all the top 2yos now.

I dont see halicarnassus winning, i backed him last time at 33/1 but thought he was lucky in what was not a great race.

Sir Percy has to be the cert of the season in the Champion stakes, Im a massive Hurricane Run fan but HR is an out and out galloper and at 1m2f i dont reckon Hurricane run can match Sir Ps tacical speed. Or anything else in the field (dont see Araafa fully seeing out the trip) matching him including pride and Ouija board.

I havent seen the rest of the line ups as my computer is down at the moment but if puggy is out i’ll be on her too.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

DJ, I think they have a chance of placing but I can’t see them beating teofilo, who on all known form should win this well. But as SP has proved you don’t have to win by 10 lengths to be good.

Araafa will have to step up to win the champion stakes.. Personally I can’t see it unless the ground is really soft, even then he’ll struggle.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Sir Percy has to be the cert of the season in the Champion stakes, Im a massive Hurricane Run fan but

HR is an out and out galloper and at 1m2f i dont reckon Hurricane run can match Sir Ps tacical speed. Or anything else in the field (dont see Araafa fully seeing out the trip) matching him including pride and Ouija board.

The key too is that for all other than SP the race would appear to be something of an afterthought…

The news from the always straightforward MT is very very positive too….

Has to be a bet

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Quote: from clivex on 11:15 am on Oct. 11, 2006[br]Sir Percy has to be the cert of the season in the Champion stakes, Im a massive Hurricane Run fan but

HR is an out and out galloper and at 1m2f i dont reckon Hurricane run can match Sir Ps tacical speed. Or anything else in the field (dont see Araafa fully seeing out the trip) matching him including pride and Ouija board.

The key too is that for all other than SP the race would appear to be something of an afterthought…

The news from the always straightforward MT is very very positive too….

Has to be a bet

Couldnt back him although I still think he has potential I would have liked to have seen more of him.  Also while I accept that the likes of Pride and HR would be prepared for the arc, there is every chance they are still at peak.

SHL

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Agreed that HR and pride are likely to still be at their peak, but i think that their best efforts wont be good enough, i am a massive fan of hurricane run and am the first to say that sir percy won a weak derby but this race is 1m2f, hurricane cant afford a slow gallop and i reckon sir percy will stay a fast gallop at 1m2f. Hurricane Run has never been a horse with a turn of foot, and pride is not quick enough. I am generally not a great sir percy fan myself, but he has great 1m2f horse written all over him and it is his race to throw away. I wouldnt touch anything else in the race.

If the race was over 1m4f id go Hurricane Run, but its not and its has to be sir percy.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Isn’t this a bit of an afterthought for Sir Percy? He was initially being campaigned with the Arc in mind, or so Tregoning led us to believe.

Please could someone explain this phrase I keep reading ‘Tactical speed.’ I haven’t got a clue what it means.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Not really (thought options were always open) and obviously he hasnt got an arc run to get over…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.