The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Chase 2020

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2020 Champion Chase 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Andy4Fingers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20

Sometimes the most obvious answers are right in front of your face, which leads me nicely to Altior @ 5/1 to win the Champion Chase.

Now I know it’s not the most original selection but surely the 5/1 is about double what the price should be?
    I can only really see Altior running in either the Champion Chase or the Gold Cup. Although the distance seems perfect, the Ryanair just isn’t prestigious enough for a horse of Altior’s calibre. So let’s start with the gold cup.
    Firstly, it seems like an excellent standard of opposition this season with the top 5 in the betting all boasting strong claims. Not that I think Altior’s team would shy away from that but it would surely have to be in the mindset when deciding on their Cheltenham target. Secondly, and the big one for me, to go from the 2m CC straight up to the 3m 2f plus of the GC in a season would be asking an awful lot. It would take a mightily impressive King George performance for me to believe stamina issues wouldn’t be a problem in a GC and even then the King George suits certain horses who excel at a flat 3 miles (I’m thinking Silviniaco Conte, Might Bite, Thistlecrack) but that doesn’t necessarily translate to the gold cup and I think Altior falls into this category. And that’s based on Altior winning the King George which is by no means a certainty.
    In the event that being raised in distance doesn’t work out what would the alternative be? For me the only realistic option left would be the CC and with Chacun Pour Soi looking the only realistic major threat surely that makes the 5/1 too big to ignore?

Ray1891
    Participant
    • Total Posts 122

Funny you say that Andy4fingers. I said the exact same to a friend yesterday, What happens if this all doesn’t go to plan. Altior would go here again! And if your not backing him at 5/1 then that is madness.

Andy4Fingers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20

So Altior doesn’t get the distance. May try the King George but surely doesn’t win it, so I still can’t see any other option than they go back to the CC.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1851

Altior 4-1

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 384

But the question is will something come along to tap him speedwise , listening to Nicky he,s finished really really tired , going to be interesting to see what happens next time

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1792

At this stage I think I’m happy to take him on

Defi and chacun pour soi are way better than politologue and sceau royal

Altior will have to run better than he did last year and that run today may have bottomed him

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 384

Cough .. Ryanair anyone ……

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1851

I’m not convinced on Defi for this atm. He was getting 3lb from Politologue last time. For me he would take some stopping in the Ryanair and should go there unless this race falls apart. The Tingle Creek will tell us a bit more.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1792

I do agree especially since the ryanair will now likely be a much weaker race than this with altior, douvan and chacun pour soi to potentially take on

Defis finishing kick will be even more of a weapon against the slower horses in the ryanair

Ray1891
    Participant
    • Total Posts 122

That JLT looks like cracking form these days, DEFI looks like he would absolutely smash a Ryanair to bits for me! I suppose the thinking is if Altior is going off to try a bigger distance then Defi will take over that division. I’d much rather see Defi go for the Ryanair as I think ALTIOR will return here come March

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1792

I really hope chacun gets here for you guys on at massive prices

He must be a monster to beat defi that easily on only his second chase start

befairbefair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1117

Haven’t heard any plans for Chacun; presumably Leopardstown at Xmas

VautourVautour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 702

Chacun Pour Soi is ready to go at Xmas. Had a Gallop at Punchestown yesterday after racing; Ruby was riding him. I’d say you’ll see him at the Paddy’s Rewards race at Leopardstown. Worth noting that Cilaos Emery has the best Irish form now after beating BallyOisin at Cork yesterday. Hardline got close enough to Min and BallyOisin was way too good for Hardline when they last met; I know that Hardline may have needed the run but still; you’d have to say that Cilaos Emery is the top Irish horse for this race so far. We’ll wait and see what Chacun Pour Soi can do.

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17609

Thanks FF, happy that Defi is franking the form for Chacun, but there’s the obvious concern that Defi has had improved since.

Also the concern that Cilaos looks very good, as Vautour mentioned.

I’d already laid some Chacun at 4.8’s, but I’ve laid a wee bit more off, to go green on the race, it just makes sense this far out to take advantage of that opportunity, especially as Chacun has been fragile in the past.

Still hoping Dynamite comes into the picture in the new year.

Chacun Pour Sois 50’s EW (laid 4.8’s+)
    Dynamite Dollars 50’s EW

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2581

Massive price Bobby + all that- i presume you’re hoping for that small field, and a nice ew? He’s surely not good enough. Even on the form he’s shown??

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 147 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.