The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cape Blanco at Leopardstown

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks Cape Blanco at Leopardstown

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    NogbadTheNog
    • Total Posts 37

Not, perhaps, the same level of brilliance but shades of Alleged.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

As for RIP, well I dont know what they will do with him next. Looks fairly certain they want to go to America with him but hes definitely not good enough for the mile and I doubt if hes even up to lining up in the Classic but best of luck to them if they believe.

I would have thought that given the modus operandi of Coolmore Cape Blanco would be most likely to head for the Classic too. He looks a dead set ten furlong horse to me.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Another race were Cape Blanco wins impressively, and again people make excuses for the horses in behind him. I definitely think Cape Blanco will win the most underrated horse of the year award.

He destroyed yesterdays field, funny to think before the race people were questioning why O’Brien was even running Cape Blanco!

JohnJ

del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

so youre telling me rip was given the perfect ride despite defeat johnj? take a long hard look at the race again.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Exactly my point, Cape Blanco won the race by 5 1/2 lengths, destroyed the field and yet he is branded lucky, flattered etc….I think if you ran the race 10 times there would be only one winner, and that was the winner yesterday.

You should take a look at the race records of both horses and tell me which horse is the more successful.

JohnJ

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

John,

For whatever reason, Rip and Twice ran below form. The way Cape Blanco won suggests they would’ve stuggled even at their best.

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Cape Blanco was clearly the best horse on the day, John, but it can’t be argued that there was little logic in settling the likes of Rip Van Winkle and Twice Over so far off the pace.

Had they raced on the heels of Cape Blanco, Seamie Heffernan may very well have kicked on again and won by an even greater distance (after all, stamina was hardly likely to be a concern over ten furlongs). But it’s that element of the unknown that leads, rightly or wrongly, to performances of this nature being downgraded.

del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

im not one of those who mentioned the horse to be lucky. thoroughly deserved win, but to state there are no excuses for rip is stupid. i think they were expecting it to pick up late from behind at york, but plans failed. johnny had the horse way too far back, dont care what anyone says.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Well, if you are saying that Rip had excuses, and CB was not lucky, then I think you are contradicting yourself.

As said before, it seems that when Cape Blanco wins his races, his performances are downgraded as his opponents apparently don’t run to form, therefore the most underrated horse of the season IMO

JohnJ.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

John,

Are you saying that Rip and Twice ran to form and all Cape Blanco, Beethoven and Sea Lord improved enormously?

It’s not contradictory to think Cape Blanco improved quite a bit. Cape Blanco was a worthy winner; it’s just that had the other two ran to form, they’d’ve been much closer than 5 1/2 lengths.

Value Is Everything
    johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

As said before, it seems that when Cape Blanco wins his races, his performances are downgraded as his opponents apparently don’t run to form, therefore the most underrated horse of the season IMO

JohnJ.

That is what I am saying.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Was Harbinger’s King George downgraded? If we believe Cape Blanco did not run to the same form as yesterday? Or that Youmzain did not run to the same form as his Arc seconds?

Had either Cape Blanco or Youmzain done so, Harbinger would be much greater than 140 on Timeform ratings.

We must be realistic with Harbinger’s King George and Cape Blanco’s Champion.

Impressed me with his action, powering away with a long stride, revelling in the ground and well suited to front running tactics. Wonderful performance.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Was Harbinger’s King George downgraded? If we believe Cape Blanco did not run to the same form as yesterday? Or that Youmzain did not run to the same form as his Arc seconds?

Had either Cape Blanco or Youmzain done so, Harbinger would be much greater than 140 on Timeform ratings.

We must be realistic with Harbinger’s King George and Cape Blanco’s Champion.

Impressed me with his action, powering away with a long stride, revelling in the ground and well suited to front running tactics.

It all bodes well for the return of

Workforce

who would show Cape Blanco a clean pair of heels over a 11/2m in the Arc Ginge! :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Hope so TAPK.
    With the form of Sir Michael being poor for some time before and after; yet improved of late. Seems as though it could’ve been solely trainer form as a reason for Workforce poor performance. Though still have reservations on a right-handed course.

Value Is Everything
    johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I would say CB does not fully stay 12f, his class got him home in the Irish Derby against inferior opposition, his stamina limitation was exposed by Harbinger in the King George. CB is a 10f horse as suggested by his performance in the Dante in May, he is uncomplicated, perhaps not as flashy or as hyped up as his previous rivals including Rip and Workforce.

I would strongly doubt that Cape Blanco will go to the Arc. Would love to see him kept in training next year as the stable’s leading contender for 10f races.

JohnJ

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Agree with all of that John. Well almost, do think the Irish Derby placed horses are fair, Cape Blanco probably ran to the same form there and at Ascot. Though the Dante has to be rated around Coordinated Cut and not Workforce, as he had worthy excuses. Yet improved yesterday over his optimum trip.

Value Is Everything
    johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

John,

Are you saying that Rip and Twice ran to form and all Cape Blanco, Beethoven and Sea Lord improved enormously?

In relation to the point you make above, both Twice Over and Rip finished pretty much the same distance apart in the International at York. Both Beethoven and Sea Lord rated 115 and 118 respectively were attempting 10f for the first time yesterday, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that both horses did in actual fact improve for the step up in trip.

In relation to Stoutes poor form affecting Workforce’s performance (I agree he didn’t show his true running) in the King George, you seem to utterly rule out the fact that Stoute trained the winner of the fore mentioned race.

JohnJ

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.