The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Can You Beat The Bookies? BBC1 now

Home Forums Lounge Can You Beat The Bookies? BBC1 now

Viewing 13 posts - 35 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    chestnut
    Participant
    • Total Posts 674

All adverts for gambling need to be banned.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7207

Just watched the Panorama one on iplayer. The company ringing up the lady when she hadn’t been online for 24hrs to push free bonuses at her to drag her back in was horrendous. When they asked if she was OK I naively thought they were going to point her towards Gamblers Anonymous…

They did it to the fraud guy too. That’s like bar staff continuing to serve a known alcoholic till he stumbles outside and collapses in the gutter, whereupon they go out, gently put his arms round their shoulders and carry him back into the pub for free shots. That would be totally illegal if bar staff did it.

It’s not as if they don’t know…£600k….the only people who can piss away that amount for fun and remain unaffected are the likes of JP McManus. And he isn’t playing the online sodding fruit machines. The 78% revenue from 4% of players was pretty telling.

chestnut
    Participant
    • Total Posts 674

Do bookmakers still give money/bonuses to high amount losers? Or was that part of there previous bad days.

If they do then an undercover journalist needs to record such conversations and the bookmakers exposed.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 477

Really disappointing in this era of social media and rapid communication that businesses that behave as disgustingly as a few of the ones mentioned in the Panorama programme aren’t immediately subjected to being boycotted and brought to their knees financially.

I would like to think that 99% of people would object to companies that prey on vulnerable and addicted people to make their profits. Utterly contemptible and should be actionable.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6489

It is actually horrifying to know that they will let you lose that much money

And not only will they let you lose it they will ring you up and offer you free money to get you into another chasing spiral

It’s hard to know who is more to blame, the companies or the regulators

The introduction of the £2 max stake in shop is clearly pointless if people can do £2000 spins online

Tighter regulation online is surely only around the corner

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6489

And these VIP managers and whoever instructs them what their role is must be some of the biggest scum on the planet

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

NAP – Its no different to those sells people you see on rogue traders who target the vulnerable
    Matt Allwright needs to get his disguise on and go under cover at the bookies headquarters

NB – I dropped my sandwhich on the way to work perhaps I should phone the bookies and see if they would like to put a fiver in my account although you can guarantee those bonus they were handing out came with x30 wagering requirements before withdrawal

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2621

And these VIP managers and whoever instructs them what their role is must be some of the biggest scum on the planet

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in those meetings. Somebody must literally be instructing them to extract as much money from these people as possible at all costs. If I was asked to do that they’d be told to stick their job firmly up their backside.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6489

To do that job you would have to have absolutely zero empathy for the people on the other end of the phone

Any normal person would as you say tell them to stuff it

Participant
    • Total Posts 6764

15/08/2019 19:30 ITV1

Ross Kemp: Living With….

– Online Gambling Addiction

Another programme being aired.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16293

Will watch that tonight Matron :good: interesting to see how it compares with the Panorama version..the way these bookies are encouraging their clients to part with more than they can afford to loose is disgraceful,..perhaps Ross Kemp will get to the bottom of why so many folk are prepared to throw away everything they have worked a lifetime for so that bookies can throw that money the way of other compulsive gamblers who will no doubt give it straight back..a vicious circle of the darkest kind…forget 888 more like 666.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4452

It might be just me here, but I didn’t really touch on the subject like the PANARAMA program did. Yes the subject was online gambling and it said the industry wasn’t trying hard enough, but seemed (at least in my opinion) to say that it’s the individual’s responsibility. YES to a point I agree but the Panarama program showed that bookmakers/bingo operators put temptation in their way.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Of course problem gambling is an issue, bookmakers have a responsibility to their customers to identify those displaying problem behaviour. But really which bookmakers are going to truly live up to these standards, they are a for profit collective of companies. There is a lot of information out there and awareness for problem gamblers to seek help, but addicts in the eye of the storm of addiction rarely are able to identify they have a problem. This program was not really up to much, as has been mentioned there was no real mention about odds and percentages and how the book making works. They could have found better punters to follow, the show didn’t really do a lot for the understanding of betting to win.

Viewing 13 posts - 35 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.