The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bye bye, Sporting Bet

Home Forums Lounge Bye bye, Sporting Bet

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’ve just gone to deposit £20 into my Sporting Bet account and it wants to debit £21 from my debit card. Why? Because Sporting Bet are now charging you to put money into your betting account…

‘Like the majority/all bookmakers we charge 1.00GBP deposit fee for this particular payment method’

Has anybody been charged by a betting firm for depositing money via debit card before?

They’re also charging a £1 fee to deposit money using Click2pay, Neteller, Paysafecard, Clickandbuy and Moneybookers.

Quite frankly I’d rather bet £23 on a 25/1 shot than bet £20 on a 28/1 shot and get charged for it.

You are now connected with Tom

Zarkava: Good evening, Tom

Tom: Hi my name is Tom. How may I help you today?

Zarkava: Why have you started charging customers £1 to deposit money using their debit cards?

Tom: It is a new policy that part of the banking fees for deposits and withdrawals will be shared by the customers

Tom: I apologise for the inconvenience but this is a management decision that applies to all deposit methods across all domains

Bye bye, Sporting Bet. You’ve lost my custom.

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1144

Cheeky sods, just another example of the way we are ripped off at every turn, tell them to get knotted!
    I haven’t had experience of any other firm doing this, but it would not surprise me if they have not come to a collective arrangement, just as they did when deciding that deposits from Credit Cards would be treated as cash withdrawals. Mind you, was that the Banks ripping us off, rather than the bookmakers?

Yonder stands your orphan with his gun
    Crying like a fire in the Sun
    Look out baby, the saints are comin' through
    And it's all over now, baby blue
    Pants
    Participant
    • Total Posts 639

Jeesuz, first time I’ve heard of that, they would lose my custom immediately.

Steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5766

I suspect the policy will be reversed by Monday – very foolish decision to charge

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 504

If you can be bothered, write to the gaming committee at the house of commons, yr MP and all other gambling regulatory bodies and related publications. These firms do things knowing it’s a pretty safe bet no one will complain. Take my online bookmaker – who will remain nameless lest Cormack senses a conflict of interest with one of his advertisers – they recently massively raised the mimimum bet in live roulette from £1 to £10, a hike of 900 per cent. They lost my custom straight away. I have sent my letters. How many addicts won’t walk away?
    It was all done to guarantee punters take heavier losses and have to play longer on the margins to offset what they are losing on the numbers. I was once upbraided by one of the great moralists on here for referring to ‘the scum bookie’ , but really, what else can you call these internet shysters?

Steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5766

I was once upbraided by one of the great moralists on here for referring to ‘the scum bookie’ , but really, what else can you call these internet shysters?

The upbraider might well have been me. Nice to know I’m considered great at something, even if it’s moralising :D

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

My apologies Zarkava as I was thinking that you must be clearly using an obscure debit card and this charge couldn’t possibly apply across the board.

Well it does!

This is absolutely staggering. I can think of no other business that actually charges you to pay them!

Mike

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1144

Quite a few utility companies now charge for sending you a paper bill.

Yonder stands your orphan with his gun
    Crying like a fire in the Sun
    Look out baby, the saints are comin' through
    And it's all over now, baby blue
    Kenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 747

This is absolutely staggering. I can think of no other business that actually charges you to pay them!

Mike

All business’s that accept payments by card do charge in reality. If you buy a ticket for a concert they nearly always add a charge for paying by card. Other companies simply include the charge as part of their margins.

Lone Wolf
    • Total Posts 614

Quite a few utility companies now charge for sending you a paper bill.

That is true. Virgin media charge something like £1.25 for a piece of paper to say you owe them money. Then there’s the non direct debit fee of a fiver.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5709

Cash Is King…

…Holding The Folding
    Get Yer Fingers Round A Thick’Un
    Toss Ya
    Lend Us A Fiver
    Five Monkees John
    Reddies
    Readies
    Blueys
    Sovs
    Skint
    Wonga
    Penga
    Shekels
    Wedge
    Wad…whatever…

…happy days, tax paid :shock:

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

The Merchant Fee charged by their card handling company for a VISA Debit transaction would be in the region of 21.4p per transaction, that presumes an annual turnover in excess of £225k as their turnover is more than likely significantly higher I would expect their transaction fee to be even less than 21.4p

For a Credit Card transaction it would be around 1.58%

So arguably a £1 transaction fee to the customer is excessive, even taking into account their own internal costs.

On the other hand compared with what the likes of Ryanair charge then Sporting Bet are being positively generous.

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1533

Most of these decisions are made because they have to be made and are not some evil plan to rob customers

The economy is goosed most businesses are suffering and have to make certain adjustments to compensate.

Admittedly to the little guy who only has 20 to put into his account 1 pound is 5% and that’s a lot but to an average punter sticking 2/300 it’s a pittance so most people wont give a hoot and continue betting with them.

Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 504

I was once upbraided by one of the great moralists on here for referring to ‘the scum bookie’ , but really, what else can you call these internet shysters?

The upbraider might well have been me. Nice to know I’m considered great at something, even if it’s moralising :D

So, what else can you call these internet shysters?

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Admittedly to the little guy who only has 20 to put into his account 1 pound is 5% and that’s a lot but to an average punter sticking 2/300 it’s a pittance so most people wont give a hoot and continue betting with them.

Well thank you for your patronising, Hurdy. It’s a Grand National ante-post bet I was doing, not lumping on something at Cheltenham, hence only £20.

And yes, you’re right, if I were to deposit a few hundred I probably wouldn’t care, but it’s all relative.

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2810

Most of these decisions are made because they have to be made and are not some evil plan to rob customers

The economy is goosed most businesses are suffering and have to make certain adjustments to compensate.

Dear oh dear, there’s no need for that.

Also, however much it is, charging for it is wrong, especially when they’re stealing it in other ways.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

What do you expect, it’s Hurdy. He loves feeling big in front of that keyboard of his. Probably still sour about losing 1.8 million baht (£37,000) on Canford Cliffs 2 1/2 years ago. Poor aftertiming diddums.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.