The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best books on Horse Racing … and the disappointments

Home Forums Horse Racing Best books on Horse Racing … and the disappointments

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553

The first named on here -Seabiscuit- was a good read. Also Alan’s two books re gambling- the Straight Track and other one I can’t bring to mind. Lots more like Hen’s Best Mate book and the first AP autobiography (not read the second one) Dunwoody’s Obsessed held my attention as well. The one that’s a stand out for me though is Graham Bradley’s autobiography- The Wayward Lad.

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Alan’s books : Against The Crowd and The Inside Track.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

‘The Sure Thing’, an immaculately researched book about that Curley ‘multiples’ gamble, is a great read.

BUY THE SUN

Mighty Marine
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26

Hi
    New to this, hello all.
    Thoroughly enjoyed Jamie Reid’s ‘Doped’, the Alan Potts books and rather to my surprise the Richard Burridge book on Dessie.

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

Thanks Nenni, I’ve ordered that Aintree book.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

I’m a big bio fan and I’d say better than sex Mick Fitzgerald’s bio and The sure thing , Barney Curley bio are both well worth a read , I think Mick is one of the few ex jockeys worth listening to , plenty humour in the book to and of course it covers his horrific fall , Curleys dies mostly concentrate on his coups does give an odd glipse of the man behind them , I’ve read 2 books on McCoy , unlike Fitzgerald I just don’t think he,s at home in front of a camera or indeed behind a pen

Participant
    • Total Posts 7470

Managed to secure a ‘good as new’ copy of ‘Aintree The History Of A Racecourse’ for just over £8 (original price £30) and it was delivered today. Certainly is a weighty tome and looking forward to working my way through it.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Two thirds through Geraghtys book. Would say its a 6 or 7 out of ten

Like his descriptions of the characteristics of horses he rode but his blow by blow recounting of races does get a little protracted although they are a reasonable insight. He doesn’t slag anyone off particularly although its a little noticeable that speaks warmly of some high profile colleagues but says little about others.

Two big facts I really taken from it

Hes in awe of Hendersons abilities with horses (and as a man too). He’s a fan of Jessicas but simply bowled over by Nickys skills. interesting and do recall Fitz saying much the same

He feels us his birthday which is the same as mine but for some reason he doesn’t mention that in the book.

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

You beat me Rob. My Aintree book cost a tenner!!

Received it today. Only had time to look at a couple of pictures but the 1886 water jump photo inside the front cover is exactly the sort of thing I’m after. can’t wait to get stuck into it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553

Alan’s books : Against The Crowd and The Inside Track.

Yeah that’s correct, Colin, long time since I’ve picked those books up.

Cheers.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

I like enemy number one by Veitch. If you read well between the lines there is a lot to be learned from the book

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Got to mention not enough time by hen knight , bio on her life and her time with Terry biddlecombe , lol Mick fitz mentions in his bio about a joke the pair played on him when he was riding out one morning , lol the pair of them weren’t exactly shrinking violets

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Just re read talking horses by Jeffrey Bernard very rare I read a book twice but it’s short and last time was 30 plus years ago

A couple of the stories around a bit tall but it’s a cracking read with some surprisingly sharp observations

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Henrietta’s book on trainers was very flat. The writing was like reading a bunch of school reports. I like her a lot but she needed assistance to bring it to life I gave up half way

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Betting For A Living – Nick Mordin: Disappointed me. Questionable idea of value and systems / method supposedly proven in just six months. Too short a time period to prove anything.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

I’ve got the Tiger Roll book absolutely love it. Though I might be biased as I love the horse :heart:

VF x

Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

Enjoyed “The Price of Success” Ryan Price’s biography by Peter Bromley and “Calling the Horses” Peter O’Sullevan’s autobiography.

Has anyone read Tommo’s autobiography? Not done so myself but it must get the award for the worst title “Too Busy to Die”

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.