The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bernard Manning

Home Forums Lounge Bernard Manning

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

…but for me, the epitome of stand-up comedy.

I saw him live on three occasions and virtually passed out from laughing.

Became a bit of a caricature of himself in latter years, but the guy was 76 for heaven’s sake.  In his prime, his machine-gun gags and banter were unmatched.

If you were a comedian, you shouldn’t follow him on.  If you were a member of the audience, it was best to sit at the back and never, ever get up for a p*ss.

Mike

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Not my favourite comedian, but very good at what he did. Undoubtedly very, very good at comedy timing and delivering punchlines.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

He was a racist, sexist dinosaur.

However, you couldn’t help but laugh….

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I was a fan .. suprisingly enough .. :biggrin:

Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

have to admit, I wasn’t too sad to see the news…in fact most of us were more on the happy side i’d have said…you lot praising him must be old men…too old to know better ;)

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

far from a comic genius in my opinion but did tell some funny jokes – check the betfair forum out for favourites being retold – and after a few beers was even funnier

i was bored in the local one night and someone said he was in the working mens club so i walked round the corner and paid a tenner on the basis he wouldn’t be doing many more gigs and was quite disappointed really – even if the mic had been working properly i’d heard every one from off the telly or a video i was given years ago

still, with this hybrid nanny/nazi government and it’s striving for complete and total inclusion, you mustn’t criticise any group of people or even comedians, so fair play to him for daring to be different and we must be glad he was ;)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Quote: from Small Bear on 1:46 pm on June 20, 2007[br]you lot praising him must be old men…too old to know better ;) <br>

<br>.. God your so ageist.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

He was a racist, sexist dinosaur.

However, you couldn’t help but laugh….

<br>Absolutely.

I have no truck with racism, sexism etc but as a passably intelligent human being, the sheer fact that Bernard used such palpably outmoded language I found funny in itself.  It was the irony of the ridiculous anachronisms in his act that made me laugh so I would like to think I watched him on a higher intellectual plane than most of his, er, "target audience".

He also had an ability to make gags that would seem mundane when written down very, very funny.

Mike

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

:old:

I am with large on this one<br> The last of the great barrel funnymen<br> his mic rarely failed<br> and well able to dress Jose Mourinho<br> in a clown’s outfit as he spat out sour pips<br> whilst repeatedly scoring the ladies’ casa blancas<br> as he tiptoed past red lights in the toilet<br> to collapse himself in the livingroom<br> and flatten the couchees

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

funny thing about Manning :laugh:

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

:old: yes

I can’t remember him much<br> can you dee do,<br> removed if I remember<br> and I’ve never been to a working man’s<br> why should I ?

A fascinating paradox Manning<br> reviled and encored at the same time.<br> Terrific confidence<br> and no awkard look like Ken Dodd<br> when the crowd is silenced by dead pan.

He was a guest at sissergamble’s wedding.<br> Someone beckoned and encouraged him,<br> come on Bernard<br> and he unassumedly walked up<br> and the room fell silent in awe<br> of one of the greatest barrel funnymen.<br> He leaned gently forward<br> aimed at the crowd<br> and cracked open a few cleanies

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

the bride blushed :laugh:

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

<br> :old:

Some people thought Manning a twat<br> I thought of him as a magnetic twerp<br> a santa with claws and guffaws<br> one of the last great barrel men<br> of our time

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

Is no one else drinking tonight ?<br>

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

<br> :old:

I can’t remember any of his jokes<br> just that big fat mug

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.