The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Becher Chase 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Becher Chase 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1698

My personal highlight of the early jumping season is coming fast and i must say this years list of entries is as classy as i can remember. Looks like an average Hennessy! Not the greatest compliment, but given some of the mediocre fields we’ve had in more recent runnings; it’s a really exciting looking race at the current stage.

Haven’t picked an early selection as of yet, but i will say that 66/1 about Ballyvesey is a steal. Has run well in this twice and nothing to suggest he won’t at least run into a place again.

Looking forward to dissecting this field!

tony321
    Participant
    • Total Posts 368

Hopefully the weather won’t interfere with the race as it’s one of my favourites too

• Total Posts 790

Initially when looking at the entries I was drawn to Join Together, some decent bits of form and with him being the only Nicholls runner he must have a chance.

However just watched a repeat of last years National and swiftly got on

Planet of Sound

at 14s with Hills. He travelled like a dream up until 2 out were the tank began to empty but if he was to run a similar race on Saturday he will take some beating providing the ground doesn’t end up heavy ala last year.

If the ground comes up heavy would expect West End Rocker, Ballabriggs and old Hello Bud to be right there as usual.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1698

Just a little pointer…

Join Together is from Old Vic, who produced three consecutive Becher Chase winners in Mr Pointment, Black Apalachi and Vic Venturi (not to mention the National glories). So if any horse was bred to win, it would be Join Together!

• Total Posts 1218

Looking rather cold in the North West for the rest of the week but will hopefully be on come Saturday…

One of my favourite horses Hello Bud goes again in this and although beaten a long way on the X Country last month, he still jumps particularly well and is 8 lb lower than when winning in 2010. Although he is now 14, I wouldn’t have thought TD would keep him in training if he didn’t think he could still be competitive. A decent each way chance considering he’s a front runner and a good stayer.

Join Together may be a bit inexperienced for this (only two 7 year olds have won since its inauguration) but definitely one for the future. Poker De Sivola has a chance but needs good ground, so perhaps WEST END ROCKER can follow up last year’s win in the prevailing conditions from a 5lb higher mark.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

West End Rocker does look rock solid. I just hope Hutch gets the ride.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Torrential rain today in Liverpool (I am about 4 miles from the course). More rain and hailstones at the moment. I hope this meeting beats the weather!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1698

Heard the weather is looking brighter on Friday and Saturday (think i also heard that either tomorrow or Thursday is going to be dry) and Aintree has always been very quick to dry out. When was the last time Aintree lost a days racing through rain? Got to be looking back a few years now?

• Total Posts 1218

Heard the weather is looking brighter on Friday and Saturday (think i also heard that either tomorrow or Thursday is going to be dry) and Aintree has always been very quick to dry out. When was the last time Aintree lost a days racing through rain? Got to be looking back a few years now?

Good question, can’t remember it being called off due to the weather in my lifetime (27 years), that said, it doesn’t have many meetings anyway!

I expect it will be something like good to soft, soft in places come the weekend?

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

This race is massive for trends followers and 2 large ones are must be 8yo or more and previous course form is a must!

Taking this into account West End Rocker is an EW must at 8s

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

This race is massive for trends followers and 2 large ones are must be 8yo or more and previous course form is a must!

Taking this into account West End Rocker is an EW must at 8s

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9061

I just wonder if the National has soured the horse somewhat. Horses don’t seem to come back to those fences time and time again with enthusiasm the way they used to. Is Big Fella Thanks in it? I thought they’d retired Hello Bud so was surprised to hear that he was running again.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I see Choc Thornton’s got the ride then :|

• Total Posts 447

Did West End rocker not fall in the National last year?

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

In April yes he did.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

Boring but Join Togther for me. Not sure how much more improvement is left in Problema Tic

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Problema Tic has an interesting profile.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.