The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

‘Coolmore and Godolphin’

Home Forums Horse Racing ‘Coolmore and Godolphin’

Viewing 17 posts - 613 through 629 (of 646 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I just watched the race for the first time. I’m not sure why Moore is getting so many plaudits.

Didn’t you know Joe? All winning rides nowadays are ‘excellent’, ‘inspired’, ‘genius’ etc etc. (See ATR/RUK/C4 for further details).

Mike

If only we could all get such lavish praise for doing the job we are getting paid to do competently.

It makes me wonder why bankers need a bonus for doing what they are getting paid handsomely already. I have an idea for a bonus scheme, it is called "Job Retention"

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 478

To be quite honest I cannot recall

Lester

throwing away group races

like Joseph does.Camelot, Magician, Tapestry and now the super horse Australia.Sure a lot of wonderful horses for a very young man.No? Perhaps too young for that king of responsibility.

:lol: What about the 1977 Leger on Alleged? Terrible ride.

Seriously though it was pound for pound his worst ever…..there weren’t many though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

He said – Listen, this is a very good horse. Listen he has loads of speed. Listen he is the best horse we’ve had at Ballydoyle. Listen the boys will decide where he goes next. Listen we have no problem dropping him back in trip. :mrgreen:

Talking of dropping back in trip, who’s bright idea was it to drop Tapestry back to a mile? :roll:

Love this.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

The Ballydoyle boy genius already has a much better strike rate than Lester.A strike rate that has Aidan and all of us in shock.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I wonder how many odds-on shots Joseph O Brien has won on over his career?

It would also be interesting to find out how many of his winners were favourites.

He’s had 115 winners this past 12 months and is still down almost £150 to a £1 level stake. Blimey!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

I believe Joseph said he couldnt believe he was beaten and everything that could go wrong, went wrong

SHL

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

That is exactly the problem.If destined to win one cannot believe when it doe not happen.Riding becomes a matter of faith not reason.Good versus evil.Sometimes the bad guys win!Nobody is responsible. God knows best.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Giving instructions to your jockey to give the outside to no one in a 7 runner race smacks of lacking confidence in your jockey.

Does anyone really believe Moore would have been given the same instructions if riding Australia?

Like when Tapestry beat Taghrooda I think Moore was worthy of plaudits for his ride on The Grey Gatsby, in fact I was surprised how little praise he got for both rides, when they made the difference between victory and defeat in both races.

Swap the jockeys in both races and I believe both Taghrooda and Australia would have won comfortably.

I don’t think enough is made about the quality of the jockey in a race and that’s no sleight on lesser jockeys than Moore. Like any profession the quality of riders will vary.
    Plenty of jockeys wouldn’t have won on Estimate last week for me.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Seen so many races this season where a horse has only won because its had Moore onboard. Not only does he give his mounts incredible rides, but he’s exceptional at keeping his rivals blocked in and not allowing them to find gaps. He really understands where his opponents want to be and how to stop them from getting there.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

what did Joseph take from the race? "but we live and learn. It won’t happen again.” Can you imagine another jockey who lost a big race offering that to the trainer and owner as a comment on losing? Most jockeys would lose their job after a performance like that.Complete arrogance from a you can’t fire me guy.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Moore’s a fine jockey, I just can’t see what he did in this race that merits such praise.

No matter who was on him, TGG could never have been anywhere but where he was throughout the race, because of the pace. As the others faded, he was hitting top speed having been brought up the outside where 99 percent of jockeys would have delivered him.

He wasn’t consciously held up, nor nursed along, or cunningly slipped through a gap, or delivered right on the line as perhaps an extreme idler would have been. He went as fast as he could throughout and that happened to be good enough on the day…imo, of course

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Tom Segal has declared Joseph’s ride on Australia the worst in a big race in the last 30 years.

Mick Kinane must be breathing a sigh of relief. :lol:

bascule
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

Others might nominate Greville Starkey
    28 years ago

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Tom Segal has declared Joseph’s ride on Australia the worst in a big race in the last 30 years.

I can’t agree with that sentiment. I think there is a large overreaction because Australia was seen as a wonder horse by some people and rather than accept that the horse just wasn’t as good as they perhaps thought, there needs to be an excuse and the jockey gets it in the neck again.

Sure enough, Australia went wider than ideal but it’s not the huge difference some seem to be making it out to be and certainly not the worst big race ride in 30 years.

Try taking a look back at this year’s Eclipse and watch William Buick on The Fugue. He never put the filly in a position to be able to win the race at any stage and that was a much more heinous crime than being narrowly worn down by the strongest jockey in the business.

I agree with Steeplechasing regarding Ryan Moore’s ride on The Grey Gatsby. He gets plaudits for working hard to keep the horse going and for his strength in the finish, however there was no tactical nous or cunning move during the race. The Grey Gatsby was never travelling well enough for the jockey to have any other option than to just keep him going and hope that he would stay on in the closing stages.

It seems highly unlikely that Australia will run in the Arc and I notice he’s joint fav on Betfair with Kingman for the QEII back at a mile. Kingman has had a setback and is not a certain runner there, so perhaps the thinking is that Australia could scoop the group 1 at a mile to add some polish to the old CV before he gets to put his hooves up at stud.

• Total Posts 45

I think there is a large overreaction because Australia was seen as a wonder horse by some people

Those "some people" happen to be the horse’s trainer and the jockey’s father…and therein lies the problem. Aidan is guilty of over-hyping yet another great rather than brilliant thoroughbred and is hoist by his own petard.

At best this was a naïve, injudicious ride and it simply highlights, yet again, the dilemma for Coolmore and Partners although, very specifically, John Magnier.

Giving one of the best racing jobs in the world to a callow youth never made any sense particularly when that lad was 6 feet tall and leaning towards a natural weight well over ten-stone. Surely he had to spend time learning the trade, do a stint or two in the US and Australia and come back and "challenge" Johnny Murtgah for the right to ride the Ballydoyle blue-bloods based on proven talent-not be given preferential treatment that saw Murtagh get p*****d off, pack his bags and leave. In my opinion, we simply don’t really know how good a jockey Joseph is because he hasn’t been tested in the usual way.

There were rumours circulating before this year’s Epsom Derby that all was not well with the Joey retainer and Australia’s win simply deferred the issue to another day. A wide-boy like Tabor will be fuming and a wider-still boy like Smith (so ungracious in his many public TV sightings leading in winners) will be apoplectic about losing big races and both will be feeling relatively helpless. John Magnier is, as ever, the kingmaker and his loyalty and admiration for Aidan and his family will have been tested to the limit by the story being constantly about the boy rather than the horse. And the HORSE is where it’s at for this outfit.

This situation simply cannot change for the better because the jockey is too big and too heavy and every season will be the same problematic matters debated ad nauseam in the "press" (whatever that is nowadays)

Magnier – who will be getting it in the neck from his legion of advisers – will call in Aidan and commiserate that Joseph’s exclusive reign (at least) is at an end, no! he is not waiting for Donnchadh to grow up and there must be a change…."and my preference is Ryan Moore".

Coolmore may have a new retained rider next season and possibly a new retained trainer after Aidan considers his position.

edinahib
    • Total Posts 198

Staggered at people’s presumption as to how ballydoyle runs. Aiden is an employee of cool more as is Joseph and head man john magnier would change things if he felt the need. As allistair down said coolmore are very loyal to there people and magnier knows that aiden is still one of the top trainers now and for the last two decades. Remember it’s the lads who decide where horses are placed and aiden trains them accordingly something stoute hannon or sir Henry never have had to deal with. Coolmore is the most pressurised gig in British and Irish racing with the sole aim to creat potential stallions. As I said before Ryan Moore was offered the job but didn’t want to uproot to Ireland and neither did the likes of Hughes. Pat smullen is another who was in the frame but knows the pressure that comes with being stable jockey at ballydoyle and stayed put. Joseph to me has done remarkably well considering his age and as barzalona has found out its tough for young jockeys now. We will find out at ascot how much the loss on Australia was down to Joseph.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

"We live and learn it won’t happen again"… Joseph O’Brien.That is the excuse for the owners to mull over.No accepting responsibility for what happened.He is only the jockey.One cannot help wondering what this callow youth lived and learned.

Viewing 17 posts - 613 through 629 (of 646 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.