The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ballydoyle in Dubai?

Home Forums Horse Racing Ballydoyle in Dubai?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    andyccfc
    • Total Posts 123

Its probably been asked before, but why dont their horses go for the Dubai Carnival? I read somewhere of a boycot…..

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Ballydoyle have had one runner before at Dubai, Powerscourt. But in general it comes far too early for the yard at that time of year….they barely get them ready in time for the start of the season and unlike other Irish trainers (Oxx and co) he does not like sending his horse abroad for prolonged periods of time.

Though I suspect the recent boycott of Coolmore progeny by Sheikh Mohammad has probably lead to it being unlikely them having a runner even if O’Brien was happy to send one over.

dubai_millennium
    • Total Posts 139

Would be quite funny if Coolmore organised a secret breeding operation based around Giant’s Causeway so that they could dominate the Carnival with his offspring. Could you imagine Sheikh Mo’s face as endless prizes were handed over to Magnier!

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Don’t blame Ballydoyle I wouldn’t go either.

Its a Godolphin event set up for and by Godolphin.

The flat season in Europe is long enough and good enough why the hell should Ballydoyle / Michael Stoute or any top yard send their horses over for the Godolphin benefit?

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Personally I don’t care a great deal for the festival, and being a traditionalist the flat season only really kicks off at the Craven Meeting imo.

Yeah thats the way I see it too.

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

Its hardly setup for Godolphin – have you seen the lucrative prize money (and other benefits such as free travel and accommodation for horse and trainer) which they offer to entice the World’s best horses to compete? Because they’re desperate for it not to be a Godolphin benefit (though I’m sure they would like to win The Dubai World Cup themselves!).

I’m glad that Ballydoyle don’t run their horses there too: I’d rather see them fresh in England and Ireland like you, and Dubai is interesting enough without them anyway, to see the best horses from the US, Japan (very curious about some of those), South Africa and now South America compete with each other.

How can any follower of horse-racing not be curious about tomorrow’s main event, with Curlin (officially the World’s best horse) and Jalil (who cost 9.7m) running in it?

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

How can any follower of horse-racing not be curious about tomorrow’s main event, with Curlin (officially the World’s best horse) and Jalil (who cost 9.7m) running in it?

Dirt horses, dirt race. That isn’t proper racing in my book. The turf is what I call proper racing.

I know I’ll get up some peoples noses with that view but I’m not in that much of a minority.

AndyRAC
    Participant
    • Total Posts 369

The World’s best horse is Curlin? Mmm, not sure about that, I know you can’t compare apples and oranges – but is he a better Flat horse than Master Minded is a Jumper?
    Anyway all they have to do is open a Jumps track, then they’ve got proper racing!!!!

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Would be quite funny if Coolmore organised a secret breeding operation based around Giant’s Causeway so that they could dominate the Carnival with his offspring. Could you imagine Sheikh Mo’s face as endless prizes were handed over to Magnier!

d_m, you have a rather rose-tinted view of Giant’s Causeway’s record as a sire!

He’s an ok stallion, nothing more, admirable performer on the track though he was. Until this season, he was standing at a ridiculously high fee, which caused a lot of breeders to make big losses on him at the yearling sales last year.

His AEI (Average Earnings Index) is a healthy-looking 2.51, but his CI (Comparable Index, basically the AEI for foals produced by those mares by stallions other than GC) is 3.56. What this means is that mares who’ve produced runners by GC have done better with their offspring sired by other stallions.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

the DWC is interional, its meant too bring people and trade to Dubai, they are the finical capital of the middle east. Sheik Mohammed is trying too create a state that will have enough international wealth and trade too keep them afloat when the oil runs out. They dont intent too end up like the saudis who, bar the trade from meka, wont have a pott too piss in trade wise when their oil runs out.

Coolmore and Darley are rivals in the same market, but most of the dubai races dont make stallions markable yet, that and darely snub of their sires mean coolmore dont wish too play in the desert.

dubai_millennium
    • Total Posts 139

d_m, you have a rather rose-tinted view of Giant’s Causeway’s record as a sire!

He’s an ok stallion, nothing more, admirable performer on the track though he was. Until this season, he was standing at a ridiculously high fee, which caused a lot of breeders to make big losses on him at the yearling sales last year.

His AEI (Average Earnings Index) is a healthy-looking 2.51, but his CI (Comparable Index, basically the AEI for foals produced by those mares by stallions other than GC) is 3.56. What this means is that mares who’ve produced runners by GC have done better with their offspring sired by other stallions.

Interesting stats. To be honest though, I only mentioned Giant’s Causeway as he would be Coolmore’s #1 dirt stallion I presume, not because I believe him to be a super-stallion.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

“I think it is unsporting of Coolmore not to send a team to Dubai. Godolphin take Coolmore on time and again in their own back yard. “

Ballydoyle take on Godolphin at Newmarket (their base) time and time again.

“Curlin was beaten in Kentucky and defeated by the filly in the Belmont (and she was defeated herself next time up against her own sex). He was also turned over at odds prior to his prep for the Breeders Cup. “

He ran a tremendous race in the Kentucky Derby for a horse that was so inexperienced. He had only started his career 4 months previous with no run as a 2 year old. Yes Rag To Riches beat him (a nose) in the Belmont, but they beat previous Group 1 winners Tiago & Hard Spun by over 5 lengths. He then went on to beat older Grade 1 winning horses in the Jockey Club Gold Cup and has since remained unbeaten. His early defeats were due to his immaturity, but now he has progressed into a brilliant racehorse. He won off a mark of 129 hard held in his prep for Dubai!

Your comments regarding Rags To Riches being beaten next time are purposefully misleading as the filly was badly injured on that occasion and has since been retired.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I think Curlin is the best middle distance dirt horse in the world.
    However, being the best dirt horse in the world does not equate to being the best turf horse in the world – and vice versa.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Haven’t come across those perameters before Vensian- very interesting. I presume they are commercially produced and are available by subscription somewhere?

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Yes Rag To Riches beat him (a nose) in the Belmont

Rags to Riches was getting 5lbs that day, it wasnt Alberado’s finest hour in the saddle either.

The best dirt horse in the world imo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.