Ascot Gold cup 2017

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 Ascot Gold cup 2017

This topic contains 36 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  jumpsfan 2 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8302

@viktors89
    With respect, it was the concensus of opinion after the race that connections of Big Orange would have welcomed OOSG being more up close and personal to Big Orange because that would have given him more incentive to kick on and beat him by even further.. :yahoo:

Aiden O’Brien was very gratious in defeat, he lost Big Orange won and it was well deserved.

Well done with your win on Big Orange and all who supported him, this was the best race of the Meeting so far and Richard Hoiles commentary was excellent. Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...

MRSRAYMO
    Participant
    • Total Posts 126

I have to comment on this subject. It was a fabulous race and the shouting in our house reached very high decibel levels but I am glad Big Orange won because he was so brave and I bet him !!

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15299

Outstanding race, and we’ll do well to get a better finish this week, well done Jac, and Raymo’s missus.

jumpsfan
    Participant
    • Total Posts 97

Anybody know the last horse to lead all the way in an Ascot Gold Cup. I thought it would be too tough an ask and if Moore could’ve kept OOSG a bit wider it would’ve been.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25897

Anybody know the last horse to lead all the way in an Ascot Gold Cup. I thought it would be too tough an ask and if Moore could’ve kept OOSG a bit wider it would’ve been.

At a guess Double Trigger, if I remember rightly Paen did too. But being out in front yesterday was an advantage given pace in the race. Gold Cup has also been won by many ridden prominently too.

The old cliche of “doing it the hard way” is bullXXXX. If judging the front runner it is unfair to judge 1 horse against the rest of the field (1 against many). It’s worth pointing out (as I understand it) – the percentage of front runners that win races is greater than those who track pace who are in turn greater than those ridden mid-div, who are in turn greater than those held up, who are in turn greater than those dropped out. Although pace is key to any individual race of where the advantage lays.

value is everything
    steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5651

A thrilling finish and a superb performance by the winner though I’m not so sure the ‘great race’ plaudits are full deserved.

The runner-up, closing all the time, never quite got to the winner. Like others, I suspect BO would have out-battled him even in a protracted duel, but we didn’t get the chance to find out.

Well done Big Orange backers; he proved he’s still the Jaffa!

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

jumpsfan
    Participant
    • Total Posts 97

If Double Trigger was the last one to do it then either it’s the hard way or no decent horses have tried it since, if so why not? Probably because it’s the hard way!

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.