Ascot Gold cup 2017

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 Ascot Gold cup 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5558

ORDER OF ST GEORGE 5/2

Back him after he won race last year when you think he had class to be 3rd in the arc that a shows what a talented horse he is the way stayed in final furlong in gold cup last year was very strong at the line and recent run was a good one be much sharper come the big day.

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20968

Wall of Fire of Hugo Palmer’s is a horse I like, very strong stayer, wether he’ll run in a Gold Cup or not I’m not sure but still young enough for further progressing.
    Running tomorrow at Chester of all places, can’t understand why as the tight track will not play into his strengths at all with his previous two wins coming at Doncaster and York, says it all really…. :scratch:

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20968

As expected Wall of Fire was pushed along early and at regular stages throughout the race but stayed on strong for 4th from way back. He’s entered up for the Yorkshire Cup on Friday and that course will suit him much better than Chester.
    I don’t know why I’m writing about Wall of Fire on the Ascot Gold Cup thread as he doesn’t seem to hold an entry for the race but does for the Hardwicke instead. My lord, who picks these races for this horse, heads or tails between the ownership….. :unsure:

Participant
    • Total Posts 20968

Palmer on Wall of Fire

“He continues to run well and put in a career best effort in the Ormonde Stakes at Chester last week. He might go to the Listed race at York in two weeks time.”

Was a great effort considering the course was completely wrong for him…. :wacko:

Right, I’m keeping off the Gold Cup thread now, promise….!!

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5558

You be back Nath :yes:

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16062

Surprisingly little chat for the race this year, but one of the few races where I’ve had a go. Went for Sheikhzayedroad at 14’s each way, and fairly confident he can make the frame again this time, he certainly seems in good enough form.

Harbour Law did me proud in The St Leger last season, and no surprise to see him bounce back here, and he’s a fair price at 28’s, but it’s another big price, in the shape of Prince of Arran at 40’s who I’ll side with. I’ve bet him 3 or 4 times in the past, and though his 2nd over 2 miles here the last time isn’t good enough to take this, I just think the trip might be enough to see him sneak a place. Happy to take the chance at the 40’s anyway.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

Generally bookmakers seem to price up the shorter odds horses too big at Festivals these days.

Order Of St George is imo fairly priced @ Evens, I’m a big fan having even backed him in the Arc; but there is imo better value.
    So is Big Orange @ 8/1, although he’d definitely need to rely on either having a tactical advantage from the front, or the fav disappointing.
    Simple Verse is the one who has top class form @ 1 3/4 miles and could yet improve to callenge a top form Order Of St George. 8/1 is too good to ignore.
    However, one that’s imo vastly over-priced is Sweet Selection @ 16/1. Hughie Morrison has an outstanding record with stayers and this horse is improving fast. Won the Ces over 2 1/4m before a comfortable win in the Sagaro on reappearance.

I’ve had a big each way bet on Sweet Selection @ 16/1 with a good sized win bet on Simple Verse @ 8/1 and a smaller bet on Big Orange @ 8/1.

value is everything
    stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

I have never liked this race. It’s just like watching paint drying for me.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

nultynulty
    Participant
    • Total Posts 444

I think Quest For More is overpriced here at 22/1. Ought to be closer to 10/1 IMO

While I’m not Spencers biggest fan, I’m not his biggest critic either – but I think missing George Baker is a big loss for the horse. I’m hoping this year Charlton has been teeing the horse up for this race. He’s much better than these odds are suggesting. He’s beaten Vazirabad on his own turf, he’s fairly versatile in race position, prefers better ground.

Really prefer these thunderstorms stay away :unsure:
    :-)

Middle_Of_MarchMiddle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2556

Generally bookmakers seem to price up the shorter odds horses too big at Festivals these days.

Order Of St George is imo fairly priced @ Evens, I’m a big fan having even backed him in the Arc; but there is imo better value.
    So is Big Orange @ 8/1, although he’d definitely need to rely on either having a tactical advantage from the front, or the fav disappointing.
    Simple Verse is the one who has top class form @ 1 3/4 miles and could yet improve to callenge a top form Order Of St George. 8/1 is too good to ignore.
    However, one that’s imo vastly over-priced is Sweet Selection @ 16/1. Hughie Morrison has an outstanding record with stayers and this horse is improving fast. Won the Ces over 2 1/4m before a comfortable win in the Sagaro on reappearance.

I’ve had a big each way bet on Sweet Selection @ 16/1 with a good sized win bet on Simple Verse @ 8/1 and a smaller bet on Big Orange @ 8/1.

I too have done Sweet Selection each way.

I think the favourite may be out battled up the straight from Big Orange, Simple Verse and Sweet Selection.

Think our girl will go well and is a big price. We know she will stay after all.

CharlesOlneyCharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

Great minds and all that… Sweet Selection each-way at 16/1. My only play in the race.

thejudge1thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

I have never liked this race. It’s just like watching paint drying for me.

Hear what you’re saying, it’s like a jumps race without the entertainment.

Anyway it’s big orange for me :good:

Chivers1987Chivers1987
    Participant
    • Total Posts 887

Not a big betting race for me but it is the Gold Cup so a bet is in order. Many have flagged up OOSG as being no value due to him losing 3 of the last 4 of his races at odds on but I feel there were reasonable excuses for those defeats.

Irish St. Leger – Undermined the opposition and gave Wiclkow Brave too much rope
    British Champions Long Distance – Came less than 2 weeks after a fantastic effort in the Arc
    Vintage Crop Stakes – Reappearance run giving weight to an in form Torcedor, anyone backing him odds on needs to give themselves a slap.

I backed him as a single and to win by more than 5 lengths last year so made only a small profit after a 3 length victory. Today I’m just going for 5/2 that he wins by 3 or more as Simple Verse and Big Orange have the credentials to cause an upset based on class and how the race will pan out tactically.

Order Of St. George 5/2 to win by 3 or more lengths

steeplechasingsteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5734

Harbour Law thoroughly unexposed and looks overpriced at around 40 now on Betfair.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

plecornu1808plecornu1808
    Participant
    • Total Posts 100

Sweet Selection

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.