Ascot Gold cup 2017

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 Ascot Gold cup 2017

This topic contains 36 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  jumpsfan 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    plecornu1808
    plecornu1808
    Participant
    • Total Posts 100

What a finish. Hairs are on end.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

What a hero that horse is. Big Orange better than ever and Michael Bell is having his best season for a long time.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8617

Well done to all Big Orange backers and the Gredleys..got him at 16’s can’t believe it. :yahoo: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26322

I have never liked this race. It’s just like watching paint drying for me.

That’s the most exiting paint I’ve ever seen!

This race comes up with the goods year after year. :yahoo:

value is everything

Twice Over
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 179

If ya don’t love the Cup races, there is something wrong with ye.

Never ceases to amaze me about people who love their National Hunt racing but have an issue with races like the Gold Cup. Cup racing ain’t racing for botttlers. They don’t dodge races and the better you are , the more likely as some point you have to carry weight penalties for the Listed and group 3s. Some horse , Big Orange, have made a few nice pennies since the days of Tom Queally wining the Noel Murless on him. Delighted for Doyle as well

Rather surprised how well OSG ran, didn’t think he had much of a chance with the ground (after all AOB use to send him for soft ground races) On to Goodwood which is now a Group 1 thanks to the likes of Big Orange

Good to see Harbour Law back in form too

Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

Fantastic race, well done backers. I have to feel for OOSG, he is such a class act but just found this one too tough to get past. Ryan Moore will no doubt get slated by all the pocket talkers on social media, but I thought he timed it to perfection. Had he went any earlier Big Orange would’ve have rallied even quicker, he’s a horse who thrives off a good eyeballing. Thriller all around.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

I have never liked this race. It’s just like watching paint drying for me.

That’s the most exiting paint I’ve ever seen!

This race comes up with the goods year after year. :yahoo:

It’s the first two miles that is tedious.

I did Big Orange for this ante-post last year in what I promised myself would be my last try at the race, and he didn’t make it to Ascot. I was having a look at him the other week and I think he was 12/1 then.

Anyhow, I’ve just never liked this race and I rarely bet in races beyond a mile six. Basically, they are slow horses.

A short head in a snail race doesn’t make it an exciting race for me. I actually used to train snails for racing purposes but my last inmate was so slow I had to take desperate measures. I removed his shell to see if it would make him any faster but when my wife asked if it had worked, I had to admit “If anything he looks more sluggish now” :whistle:

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26322

Never ceases to amaze me about people who love their National Hunt racing but have an issue with races like the Gold Cup.

May be the difference is some people love the thought of horses falling?

value is everything
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

It’s not an “Issue” it’s a “Preference”

Perfectly normal and clear difference in meaning.

Generally I don’t like the jumps much.

Well bred horses, at the top level, racing between a mile and a mile and a half are what interest me most and give me the most pleasure from the game.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Twice Over
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 179

Fantastic race, well done backers. I have to feel for OOSG, he is such a class act but just found this one too tough to get past. Ryan Moore will no doubt get slated by all the pocket talkers on social media, but I thought he timed it to perfection. Had he went any earlier Big Orange would’ve have rallied even quicker, he’s a horse who thrives off a good eyeballing. Thriller all around.

Ryan Moore gave the horse a pretty similar run like he did last year. Leading Light also won like this. Anyone who thinks jockies don’t heed AOB on how he wants his horses running, is naive, regardless of the class of jockey is on board. I believed that the ground would do him in, but, he ran well to suggest that was not the issue. OSG had a long year last year, many Ascot Gold Cup winners do next to nothing after winning it in the same season, OSG should have won the Irish St Leger but he ran a blinder at the Arc, and should never have been sent to Ascot thereafter

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

Harsh words GT. I love these races.

And on the class angle, it’s worth remembering that Big Orange is a G2 winner at 1m 4f, Order Of St George 3rd in an Arc, Sheikhzayedroad a G2 winner at 1m 2f, Harbour Law and Simple Verse G1 winners at 1m 6f.

These are good horses being tested over an extreme trip – a special test that I really enjoy.

Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

Ryan Moore gave the horse a pretty similar run like he did last year. Leading Light also won like this. Anyone who thinks jockies don’t heed AOB on how he wants his horses running, is naive, regardless of the class of jockey is on board. I believed that the ground would do him in, but, he ran well to suggest that was not the issue. OSG had a long year last year, many Ascot Gold Cup winners do next to nothing after winning it in the same season, OSG should have won the Irish St Leger but he ran a blinder at the Arc, and should never have been sent to Ascot thereafter

I agree with you, but I’d say Ryan Moore has a significant input into the racing plans. Whether you believe what he says or not, Aidan has always maintained he bases his decisions off the information others pass on to him.

With possibly no Minding, no Found, and a lack of top class middle distance 3yo colts, I’d like to see Aidan aim OOSG at the Arc again. It will be interesting to see if Wings of Eagles can confirm the Epsom Derby form at the Curragh. If he manages to do so, we could see himself Highland Reel and OOSG all line up, with maybe the likes of Capri or Douglas McArthur in backup. The rematch vs Big Orange on Champion Day would be something to savour, but if it meant bypassing the Arc I would be disappointed.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26322

Criticism of Moore is overblown.
    OOSG is fully effective between a soft surface well run 1m4f and a truly run 2m4f; ie has speed at this trip. When racing at 1m4f it makes perfect sense for him to race prominently, because he’ll never be taking a hold and stamina is his asset at that trip. However, when racing at a full mile further – 2m4f – he’s racing at a pace significantly slower in the early stages and at this distance. Had Ryan innitially jumped out and let the horse go faster – to get a closer early position – there would be a good chance he’d get racing at his usual 1m6f speed (taking a strong hold). OOSG can also get a little excited at the start (sweats). Ryan played the percentages and took a pull in order to settle OOSG (just like last year). There’s always a chance the pace thereafter won’t suit a hold up horse and that’s what happened.

If looking at how OOSG is ridden:
    At 1m4f he’s ridden prominently.
    At 1m6f he’s never any closer than mid-div early, sometimes held up.
    At 2m+ he’s always held up.

Ryan Moore was never going to ride any other way. When assessing a race the punter needs to consider how the form horse could get beaten, how likely it is of getting the neccesary pace and what horse/s have the type of run style to benefit.

value is everything
    Gladiateur
    Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1127

A quite magnificent finish, reminiscent of the thrilling duel between those truly great stayers Le Moss and Ardross back in 1980. Today’s titanic tussle will take some beating as race of the season.

viktors89
    viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 337

Can’t feel but think Moore lost this one, they let BO have too big of a lead.
    Anyway, I had some money on BO at 9’s and happy with the return. :mail:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.