The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Arkle Challenge Trophy

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2022 Arkle Challenge Trophy

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7177

Initially i thought with Ferny Hollow the standout horse out, then it would be Blue Lord by default but have had a closer look. Elliott said RD has thrived since her last run so she could therefore be a couple of pounds better than her mark as well as the 9lbs she gets. Which means Blue Lord would have to run to 162+ today to win. Which is near enough Ferny Hollow level and Shishkin level when he was a novice going to the Arkle. As a 148 hurdler, is Blue Lord that good now over fences? He might be but since Mullins is quoted as saying he wouldn’t be surprised if the other two of his turned over Blue Lord at Leopardstown, it does make for an interesting race today.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3393

Ill be half surprised myself if blue lord is able to give her 9lbs today, but then again, he has looked really good so far, atleast you will know today, if she cant win today, she wont win this, shes been given an OR of 150, so like you say, if she runs her rating blue lord will have to put in an arkle winning worthy run, not sure she will have much improvement in her, the run behind ferny will be her “top” IMO, but that would likely be good enough to win today and possibly this without FH

Ive backed her today but not for this, yet

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7177

“not sure she will have much improvement in her”

As she has only turned 5, Elliott and her backers would like to think the ceiling of her ability will be more than it is now.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7204

She’s a rangy scopey mare too so there ought to be more to come. Although has has more starts than BL so don’t know if a lot of short term improvement likely.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7177

The last fence cost her today i think.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6489

It definitely did Mike

She will be getting 2lb less weight at Cheltenham and given it was blue lords first proper race of the season he has plenty of scope to improve

Far from a vintage renewal but an interesting one

None of these will be troubling shiskin and energumene in 2023

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7177

Won’t be much in it. The way RD was finishing after making a complete horlicks of the last was encouraging for her supporters.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6489

Yes definitely

Watching it back blue lord jumped pretty badly so he brushes up on that at Cheltenham its another factor

Riviere detel has an excellent chance and going forward looks a great chance in future mares chases if she stays 2m4f

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3393

I think, There will be more in it come this, she wont reverse the form, she had to win by atleast a decent amount today, shes had more experience so less likely to improve run to run, blue lord still looks capable of more,

I wont be touching her for this now (i backed her today) agreed regarding future mares chase. Possibly

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 908

Has the feel of the year Duc Des Genevries won, I think Hardline went off favourite? Wasn’t a true G1 horse amongst them. I’ll be taking on Blue Lord. Wasn’t close to being a G1 novice hurdler, Appreciate It had pretty much lapped him before he fell in the Supreme. Isn’t built like he was crying out for fences, jumping was a bit dodgy today in his first proper test and seemed very weak at the line to me. Something will beat him he’s no superstar. Saint Sam was encouraging today on just his 2nd chase I thought, did plenty wrong but was coming back to them at the line. Could easily end up i the Marsh I guess

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3393

Saint sam wont be getting the few lbs either, i doubt he will be anywhere good enough, would have liked to have known what HEC would have done had he completed,

I partially agree, at this point edwardstones put up the best performances of whats left, but i wont be backing anything british in a hurry

Participant
    • Total Posts 3879

Saint sam wont be getting the few lbs either, i doubt he will be anywhere good enough, would have liked to have known what HEC would have done had he completed,

Again haven’t a bet here, but if SS was ridden with a bit more patience i don’t see why he couldn’t run better than today. He was headed and still managed to stay on at the finish. Showing to me there’s something left + if ridden more efficiently he could do better. Possibly a step up in trip is what he needs. He won’t be beating Bob though so i suspect he’ll be in here.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1018

I can see Edwardstone winning it this year. Blue Lord wasn’t impressive.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1313

I agree dbr. I bet Blue Lord ante-post, but I’m not at all confident

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 570

I’ve added Couer Sublime 16/1 to go with my ap bet on Blue Lord

TakeYourTime
    Participant
    • Total Posts 586

I’ve been strong on Magic Daze all year for this and see no reason to desert her now. Spring ground will be ideal for this free going front runner. Her run in the Mares Novice Hurdle last year was excellent for an inexperienced horse and I like the way she’s been campaigned so far, getting early season experience before being freshened up for this. 16/1 is still generous but i’ve been topping up from 66s all the way down since October.

No Rachael on board but Darragh O’Keeffe has won on her before.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1531

Plumped for Magic Daze to provide a shock :good:

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.