The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Arc Weekend

Home Forums Horse Racing Arc Weekend

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    ToneLoc
    • Total Posts 101

How many people on here are going this weekend?

Going for the third time this year and it still amazes me that the best day’s racing in Europe can be had for 8 euros with a free racecard thrown in for good measure.

Does anyone have any particular strategies for races other than the L’Abbaye and the Arc? The Prix de L’Opera and Prix du Cadran don’t seem to be especially strong trends races from my (limited) research.

And the handicaps?

A French racegoer told me that a decent strategy was to back the top 3 horses in terms of prize money won in both handicaps. (Don’t often play in handicaps here so never researched whether that is a good strategy here).

And finally, where do people buy the Racing Post from?!

I must be the only one without a copy.

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

Tone, the difference in entry fee is the price you pay for the privilege of being allowed to bet with bookmakers.:(

You can buy the Post at the gate or at any one of dozens of kiosks around the city.<br>

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

And finally, where do people buy the Racing Post from?!

Later this week (Prob Thursday or Friday), the RP will list the addresses of all the kiosks that will sell the RP this weekend.

Usually, a couple of the kiosks on the Champs has it. Can’t remember which ones.

If I was going to guess, I’d say start around the kiosk near Virgin Records (at metro FDR, RH sideof the street if you’re looking towards the Arc) as they usually have foreign papers there.

Steve

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

PS I notice Paris Turf newspaper is on strike tomorrow!

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Are there any indications of weather for the weekend in Paris? I.e what will the ground be like?

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

It rained earlier in the week.

BBC says it will be sunny every day until Saturday.

I’ll be there Aragorn – Salselon should be going as well. We’re going to meet up there, so if you wanna join our little ‘gang’, PM me and we can meet up for a drink afterwards if you fancy.

Maybe even a waffle spread with nutella! :biggrin:

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I’m not going Jack but thanks for the offer. Just wanted to know whether DI will get anything resembling good ground..

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

Meteo France are forecasting rain of some description on Friday:

http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/mameteo/p … 609270600#

To guarantee an RP  the best option on Sunday may be to emerge from the Metro half-way up the Champs Elysees. Several of the kiosks on the left side will have copies. Walk up to the Arc de Triomphe metro station and take the  RER out to La Defence, transfering there to the tram for Longchamp. You wont get an RP at the gate. (The RP are saying there will be copies available in the Totesport stand but I would recommend you get one outside just in case)

Mr Frisk
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

Ah, the legendary tram to Longchamp. I think I might take the plunge this year. Are you sure that it still exists, assuming of course that it ever existed in the first place?

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Ah, the legendary tram to Longchamp. I think I might take the plunge this year. Are you sure that it still exists, assuming of course that it ever existed in the first place?

I’ve taken the tramway to Longchamp a number of times.

If you see a map of the route from the tram stop to the course, it’s fairly easy.

This might help:

http://www.scort.com/webfr/images/plan/plan_suresnes.gif

Basically, it’s downhill from the tram stop, down Bvd Henri Sellier, across the bridge into the Bois.

You go past a pond on your RH side then reach a road that goes across you L to R.

The course is on the other side of that road and off to your right.

According to my A-Z, it’s about 200m along that road, but I don’t remember it being that far.  

I quite like the tramway (it’s not a tram at all, it’s an electric train). As well as using it to get to Longchamp a number of times, I’ve also taken it to Saint Cloud.

Steve

(Edited by stevedvg at 9:09 pm on Sep. 26, 2006)

Mr Frisk
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

"about 200m" is shamefully vague, but I’ll let it pass…

That’s the journey there sorted then, many thanks. The 60000-euro question, of course, is whether it works afterwards too?<br>

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

The 60000-euro question, of course, is whether it works afterwards too?

When there’s been free buses. I’ve always just taken the bus back to Auteuil.

However, I can confirm that I have taken the tramway back from both Longchamp and Saint Cloud after midweek meetings.

Steve

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

With regards to obtaining a Racing Post, I always ask the concierge at my hotel to get me one. He hasn’t failed me yet.

ToneLoc
    • Total Posts 101

Cheers for the information everyone, no excuse for not being equipped with the Post now.

I wonder whether the Sportsman will be as widely available….

The Opera is shaping up to be a classic and the Abbaye is always a fine race to watch :biggrin: Bit disappointed that Teofilo won’t be taking his chance in old Jean-Luc’s race but you can’t have everything.

Flying out tomorrow night, can’t wait.

frankmorby
    • Total Posts 23

Hi all, We always meet up at the tent outside the course ive been meeting there since 82(when Ardross was 2nd:-( and if its nice weather we walk back to Auteuile and have a couple in the trois stations pub next to the roundabout theres normally a load from ireland and Bury(Lancs) then its the Indian round the corner Ah you cant beat Arc weekend& Excuse Moi int Abbeye!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.