The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Arabian race at Ascot

Home Forums Horse Racing Arabian race at Ascot

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    gumshield
    • Total Posts 119

If you disagreed with David Hood’s supersize outpourings of spin on a consistent basis, you’d find the truth nine times out of ten. But here’s the exception that proves the rule:

William Hill director of public relations David Hood yesterday labelled the running of an arabian race after the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes as “the most ludicrous piece of race-planning of all time”.

Spot on, Mr Hood. A race in which punters have zero interest shoe-horned into a top-quality card.

Let’s hope it doesn’t clash with the 5.01pm from Steepledowns, eh? That really would put punters in a dilemma.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

It is not very often that I agree with the bookmakers PR reps but I am with Hood on this one.

I have no interest in Arab racing which means I have to spend over an hour hanging around clicking my heels waiting for the final race at Ascot.

Fine I accept there are those who ardently support Arab racing and I have no fundamental objections to them being on mainstream cards – but either before or after the main racing.

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

Another with a similar view. Arabian Racing – FFS No!! Lets stick to the proper stuff.

It won’t catch on no one is interested so lets not annoy everyone by keep flogging this dead horse. Next year at this meeting I do NOT expect to be kept waiting for the last by a load of nonsense.

Not particularly impressed with the order of todays card at Ascot anyway why do we have two handicaps immediately before the King George? King George should be forth race on the card IMO.

zanybody
    Participant
    • Total Posts 73

Top or bottom of the card for me.
    Does not sit will jammed in the middle.
    Also agree about the timing of the main event.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I have to agree it’s been badly placed but on the only occasion I watched one of these races it was after the last at Sandown a few years back.

It was ok and I understand the owners will be very excited about racing at Ascot. The time and effort they put in is much appreciated as is the tender loving care they show their animals. So much so it would bring tears to a glass eye…….now will you tell them to bog off and go play somewhere else. 8)

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

I have to agree it’s been badly placed but on the only occasion I watched one of these races it was after the last at Sandown a few years back.

It was ok and I understand the owners will be very excited about racing at Ascot. The time and effort they put in is much appreciated as is the tender loving care they show their animals. So much so it would bring tears to a glass eye…….now will you tell them to bog off and go play somewhere else. 8)

Yep I would Fist. :evil:

Ascot stage Arab race days from time to time I have no problem with that as long as they don’t interfere with proper racing.

Give them a Sunday when Ascot is available.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I believe the timing of the big race this afternoon is TV related

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I think you would probably be correct in that belief, Paul.

Colin

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

Who are the connections of Arab racing, in the main – do they put anything into British racing?

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

The Sheikhs.

Colin

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

A few races today sponsored by Abu Dhabi. The same with the Arc.

This is part of the quid pro quo.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

The Sheikhs.

Colin

well, considering the fact horse racing would collapse as we know it if they pulled out all of their related interests, i really don’t see the problem with them wanting to run the odd race of their own during the season

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

The Sheikhs.

Colin

well, considering the fact horse racing would collapse as we know it if they pulled out all of their related interests, i really don’t see the problem with them wanting to run the odd race of their own during the season

I am sure we will be able to test your theory in the next few years when their corrupt dictatorships go bankrupt as the oil dries up.

Racing survived before they came and it will survive long after they have gone.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

I don’t see a problem with it – if people aren’t interested then don’t watch it, same with sprints or 2m races or XC races. Some will enjoy watching them and the ARO regularly have meetings on HRA racecourses so why not let them stage their biggest race of the year after one of our biggest races?

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

Oh it’ll survive Paul, but on a much smaller scale surely?

Take away all the breeding operations they bankroll either directly or indirectly by buying the products, the breeding industry will be constricted, the same for horses in training, trainers, jockeys, stable staff, etc. The knock on effect will damage racecourses seeing them close, the betting industry and people employed within that, etc.

In fact, if racing is constricted that much it could just go back in time to being a small and closed business, more murky than ever.

I thought they were catering for the end of the oil business by putting their considerable wealth elsewhere anyway?

If I spent as much as them on racing in this country I might want more than the odd Arabian race on an Ascot card, regardless of what small time racegoers and punters were telling me – in fact, I’d probably tell them where to go as well.

I read somewhere this morning that those who attended the Arabian raceday the other day not only got in for free but enjoyed goodie-bags and free prize draws all day – wish I’d have known, I’d have been there.

Diversity is the spice of life, why someone can differentiate between a 7 runner class 5 hcap or a G1 Arabian race is beyond me, very little of the stock flat or jumps fare is significantly different or better in my opinion.

Bring it on I say.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Oh it’ll survive Paul, but on a much smaller scale surely?

You say that as if it would be a problem – I don’t see it as a problem.

As I have said previously I have no issue with Arab racing per-se but not in the middle of a thoroughbred card – run the Arab races before the first .

I don’t think I am the only one because the crowd for the final race here is decimated following the hour gap,

It is quite interesting – there are some Abu Dhabi journos – all of whom have buggered off after the Arab race. They were complaining the primary advertising on the winning line was Betfair and not Abu Dhabi – their solution – they are going to Photoshop the photos so the "correct" branding appears.

BUD
    • Total Posts 98

Is it really that problematic.
    Put it this way if that being the worst part of your day waiting for a terribly boring race to conclude, your darned lucky you had a great day. (if that be the worst part of it)

carry on

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.