The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Anton du Berk (sic),Bruce Forsyth & the troublemaking Press

Home Forums Lounge Anton du Berk (sic),Bruce Forsyth & the troublemaking Press

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 467

Anyone got any thoughts on why certain sections of the media are determined to keep the Strictly racism row in the press literally weeks after it happened with daily totals of the number of complaints recieved by the BBC and now chopped up and resequenced quotes from Bruce Forsyth which IMO are designed to cause deliberate confusion and uncertainty about what constitutes a racist remark.

If anyone is any doubt as to the effect of this typically mischevious Press poo stirring perhaps you might like to take a look at the response columns of the websites of some of the most read tabloids in the country where some of their readers are asking what the difference is between calling someone the vile insult that the gormlessly unfunny Mr De ‘Berk’ used and calling someone for an example an Aussie or a Kiwi etc?!!!!

This is a clearly ridiculous comparison which shows no awareness of how offensive the word is and how it has been used and continues to be used.If only the word could be so innocent.

Du ‘Berk’ caused racially based offence not once but twice and offered an unreserved apology which was accepted.The press keeping the story in the news does nothing but harm in my opinion and gives undue credence to people who find racist language acceptable.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Overblown and of course the politically correct BBC News division are loving it – I notice on tonight’s 10:00 News they have even managed to roll out an Asian reporter to report on the matter, how convenient, and they even rolled out the pathetic Kelvin McKenzie to pontificate on the matter – as if anyone cares what the hell he thinks.

At the end of the day it is just a word and the issue, for me, is the context in which it was used, not the word itself. Any word has the potential to be offensive if it is said in a particular manner or with venom.

The person on the receiving end of the comment apparently has no issue and the person who made the comment has apologised – it should be a matter between the pair of them and if they are happy with the situation then it is absolutely sod all to do with anyone else.

Are they saying I cannot call my Welsh friend a "taffy ba$tard" and he cannot call me a "Sassanach tw@t" even though we say it jokingly and with affection?

Should we no longer call the French "Frogs", should the Australians no longer call us "Poms"? Just in case somebody is offended by it?

I have many friends and acquaintances who happen to be members of the Asian community – some of them, of Pakistani origin, even refer to themselves by the same epithet that has been deemed to be offensive.

Just another example of the parlous depths this country has reached – political correctness is like a cancer that is destroying our society.

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Let’s just all try and get on

and stop calling each other names.

Now, I’ve got an image of you, naked, bent over on all fours

David Brent

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

and they even rolled out the pathetic Kelvin McKenzie to pontificate on the matter – as if anyone cares what the hell he thinks.

I agree with you in principle, but around 10M people (IIRC) used to read a newspaper that McKenzie edited, so I can see why folks might come to think that his opinion carries some sort of weight with the great unwashed. :wink:

Roddy Owen
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

They only read the paper for its good racing and boxing coverage. Surely not for the insidious Kevin. Spent many years inside an English scrum being called a Welsh B or C or SS. What difference does it make. Bit of fun surely. Names mean nothing

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

I find it truly offensive being called "unwashed" just because of the newspaper that i have chosen to buy!!!!!!!!
    How very dare you Friggo!!

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Quite interesting how this has been going on all week in the week when the X Factor has its first live show for the performers.

Maybe it was all concocted by the BBC so they would get the attention in the press to divert away from ITV.

The BBC for me are far to pro politically correct just for the sake of it and have this obsession that everybody is friends with everyone no matter what their colour or disablilty they have but sadly this is not true and probably never will be.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 467

I don’t think treating people with respect or how you would like to be treated is too much to ask for.

For example,If you get your kicks by teasing your freinds about where they come from then thats fine(odd and childish IMO) but its not unreasonable to expect you not to do it in public because we all have nationalities and origins which most people probably care about to some degree and I think its entirely reasonable to expect to not to be insulted by default because other people don’t have enough basic manners to raise their ‘affectionate’ jibing of their so called freinds to a more specific level which therefore has nothing to do with where anyone else may or may not come from.i.e make the insult or jibing personal to your freinds not something that could possibly be anything to do with anyone else.100% achievable.

As for Asian people calling themselves vile terms of abuse,they are either selling out in order to fit in or they are trying to claim back the term to take the offence out of it just as some misguided IMO black youth have tried to reclaim the N word…….a confusing and damaging approach to the wider world so therefore easier IMO to drop the abusive word altogether in the gutter where it belongs not to cause confusion(for some) as to whether it is offensive or not.

Don’t agree about the BBC’s alleged political correctness agenda I just think its a trendy thing to say and never appears with convincing examples IMO but I do think they have got a responsibility to represent ALL sections of society where feasible or relevant and I personally don’t notice them doing that in a particularly bad way.

Like to hear more about Niel’s gloomy outlook about people of different (colours?!…..nationality or racial origin surely?) and disabilities not getting along or being unlikely ever to do so.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I would rather be "odd and childish" than narrow minded and oversensitive.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 467

Sadly,and I quote, if you think the term Paki is ‘ just a word’ and terms like Frogs and Taffy B$astards are acceptable then I’m afraid you’ll probably be called a lot worse…………..not by me of course.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Sadly,and I quote, if you think the term Paki is ‘ just a word’ and terms like Frogs and Taffy B$astards are acceptable then I’m afraid you’ll probably be called a lot worse…………..not by me of course.

but the point is it wouldn’t actually worry me – I am not that sensitive to verbal insults – they are only words.

As the old saying goes – "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"

My answer may seem to be flippant but, frankly, there are more important things in life to worry about and, lest you think otherwise, I do not, myself, set out to offend people deliberately – although being human I am sure I do slip up on occasion.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Quote ”I do not, myself, set out to offend people deliberately – although being human I am sure I do slip up on occasion. Paul O

And there was me thinking you could walk on water. :oops:

No I can’t do 65 mph any more :) although I can still do the old water into wine trick sometimes

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

I would like to point out Bob recent events like the mother who killed herself and her disabled daughter when police did nothing while they were being abused and insulted by a load of scum on a their estate while they were trying to lead a decent life in society, now if this was an Asian or Muslim mother then the police would have been round no doubt in seconds.

The murder of Anthony Walker in Huyton a few years ago was sick yet her mother amazingly found forgivness for her sons killers.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 467

Thanks Neil……its amazing how it sometimes takes someone else’s wisdom,insight and ability to construct a lucid and logical argument like you have done here in order to be able to fully understand something even as complex as this subject.I think we’re all obliged to you.Truly amazing. :roll:

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I would like to point out Bob recent events like the mother who killed herself and her disabled daughter when police did nothing while they were being abused and insulted by a load of scum on a their estate while they were trying to lead a decent life in society, now if this was an Asian or Muslim mother then the police would have been round no doubt in seconds.

Isn’t that a sad reflection on society on two separate counts – firstly that the mother and daughter had to suffer at the hands of these feral youths. The police and local council have attracted criticism for not doing enough but what about the other residents in the street who seemed to be aware of what was happening, yet did nothing or were afraid to speak out – do they not also share in the responsibility?

Is it not

everyones

responsibility in what is meant to be a society?

We had a problem here some 18 months ago with some "visiting" yobs who seemed intent on causing trouble – nothing on the scale of the Leicestershire case but they were starting to make life unpleasant.

There were some who turned a "blind eye" but there were enough of us who were concerned enough to make sure something was done and we made sure the police and local council were involved and the problem was dealt with in a couple of weeks. In away we are lucky here as there is a very strong community policing setup – each "grid" in MK has it’s own designated police officer, who knows the area – just like the "good old days" – plus we have two PCSO’s who are a visible presence.

The comment about the reaction had they been Asian is also a sad reflection on society – perhaps I am just naive but the last thing I even think about with anybody is the colour of their skin. I could not give a toss if someone is white, black, yellow or even purple with orange spots, it is the sort of person they are that is important and lets face it fundamentally well over 95% of people are decent, regardless of ethnicity. Of the obnoxious members of society no colour, race or creed has a monopoly.

The murder of Anthony Walker in Huyton a few years ago was sick yet her mother amazingly found forgivness for her sons killers.

I don’t know if I could forgive someone who harmed someone I cared about or loved but it is difficult to say until you are in that position. I do have admiration and respect for those who can forgive like that though.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 467

I can’t help thinking that ‘feral youth’ probably grew up in houses where not showing anyone else respect,insults and racial abuse for example were ‘just words’ but the consequence was probably that they grew up not knowing what respect and discipline were.

Which is why I am torn about the exposure of stupidity like Anton Du Beke’s being kept in the media spotlight even though I feel it is an important point of principle that racist comments are not allowed to slip back into public culture unchallenged.

What for me is a simple issue of treating other people with respect or how you would like to be treated yourself gets clouded and muddled in a debate about whether it is ‘political correctness gone mad’, meanwhile confusion spreads about what should be a simple matter of right and wrong.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

That is an over simplistic summation Bob – and dare I say in taking such a view you are in danger of trivialiaing the causes.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.