The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Another Handicap System

Home Forums Tipping and Research Systems Another Handicap System

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dallowboy
    • Total Posts 7

Hi ! I’m new to this site so please be gentle.

Has anyone ever heard of an old handicap system called RACEMASTER?

dallowboy
    • Total Posts 7

Apparently, it involves keeping a record of handicap race results and when a horse wins two h’caps in a season (doesn’t have to be consecutive races) you look at the runner-up in the second race and, if it gave weight (1lb or more) to the winner and finished within two lengths of the winner then you mark it down for a bet on its next three runs. The reasoning being that you are backing a horse that has run well against an improver. Does anyone know if these are the complete rules? I’m thinking of giving it a try when the flat season starts proper. Any thoughts? Thanks.

BTW this seems a great forum !

Regards, Dallowboy.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

dallowboy

Welcome to the forum.

This system is new to me and could be worth a try. My only reservation is the qualifying distance of 2 lengths which doesn’t seem very much at distances beyond the 5 to 7f range.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5679

Could be worth making the acceptable distance beaten a set number of lengths per mile, so that at 6f a qualifier would need to be within 1.5 lengths of the winner, at 1m within 2 lengths of the winner, at 1m 4f within 3 lengths of the winner and at 2 miles finish within 4 lengths of the winner. Distances in between would use fractions of a length.
    Alternatively you might group distance together for convenience and to ease the figures:
    5-6f – 1.5 lengths
    7-10f – 2 lengths
    11-14f – 3 lengths
    15-18f – 4 lengths
    and so on upwards for longer distances.

Not perfect, but useful as ‘working figures’.

Rob

dallowboy
    • Total Posts 7

Hi Artemis and Robnorth!

Thanks for your comments. Very useful. I’ll give it some thought and try to come up with some set "rules & regulations".

Cheers,
    Dallowboy

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 84

Welcome to the forum, Darrowboy.

Sounds like an interesting system.

Others have already raised some questions about the margins of victory. As for me, two questions: –

1. Why flat turf only?

2. Why pick three runs to stop at?

Regards,

Brian

dallowboy
    • Total Posts 7

Hello bcsim

I’m not sure of the answers to your queries. Maybe the "three runs" bit is just a case of "if it doesnt win by then, its not going to" and also I think you may get a lot of qualifiers! I’ll try to get hold of the bloke who told me about it and update things – he did say that its a system he used over thirty years ago!

Dallowboy

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 84

Hi Dallowboy (got your tag right this time!),

Thought I might have heard of RACEMASTER. No answers to questions, as such, but looking at my little book of systems, my notes say "applies to all types of racing, handicaps only" and "eliminate selection after three runs or any win".

Just for your information, really.

Brian

dallowboy
    • Total Posts 7

Thanks for that, Brian.

I’m quite keen on the idea of this so I’ll find out what I can and post soon – hopefully!

Regards, mike.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.