The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Alice Plunkett

Home Forums Horse Racing Alice Plunkett

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

It was a depressing day for this RUK subscriber yesterday. Alice Plunkett fronted the whole broadcast from Sandown and was given a warm welcome back by Angus McNae which sounded ominous. I really don’t know what this woman’s qualifications are – she seems totally lightweight to me and suffers hugely by comparison with Lydia Hislop who regularly demonstrates that she knows her stuff. Plunkett on the other hand seems happy to "wing" it with her lack of preparation showing through at every turn.

Before the first race alone she told us that Ned Ludd "has done absolutely nothing wrong at all" – er, no, apart from being beaten in three of his four races – and then went on to mention that "Francois" (presumably Doumen) has three entries in the Triumph which tells us all we need to know about the cosy relationship she has with racing professionals. There is no chance whatsoever of Plunkett ever being objective and subjecting any of these people to criticism or rigorous interview.

I wish she’d get back to standing just beyond the finishing line as horses thunder towards her.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Totally agree

Also likes to project herself rather than the racing. Shes a lightweight and ive often thought shes a bit cocky too

Establishment too….wasnt it her who said "who cares what the pnters think?"

No in Lydia’s league at all :angry:

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I wish we had a red button to press and escape all pundits, guests and presenters.  Let’s see the horses in the parade ring, going down and the races in full without opinions, ego merchants and adverts.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>She made me wince yesterday when ‘Laertes’, running at Wetherby was pronounced ‘Lurts’.

Obviously Shakespeare and the Greek myths (Laertes was one of the Argonauts) passed her by.

AP

AP

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

I’m sure she would have waxed lyrical had the beast been called Jade Goody (by Green Desert out of Sweet Wilhemina), AP.

I often think we ought to encourage trendy names for horses to attract a younger market to the races.

Chillzone, Yo!, Restpectblood, Hollyoaks, Gaybarman, Ant n’dec, Crystalmethnights are just some of my happening suggestions. I’m sure Zara and Alice will be will up for my proposal innit.;)

But I digress…

Happy JackHappy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Her heavyweight grilling of Nicky Richards yesterday went along the lines of: "I would wet my pants if I had a horse as good as XXX, how do you do it?"

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

That elicited some roar from my colleagues!!

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Quote: from Maxilon 5 on 1:59 pm on Feb. 4, 2007[br]I’m sure she would have waxed lyrical had the beast been called Jade Goody (by Green Desert out of Sweet Wilhemina), AP.

I often think we ought to encourage trendy names for horses to attract a younger market to the races.

Chillzone, Yo!, Restpectblood, Hollyoaks, Gaybarman, Ant n’dec, Crystalmethnights are just some of my happening suggestions. I’m sure Zara and Alice will be will up for my proposal innit.;)

But I digress…<br>

#

That isn’t street enough Max…….

Try Big up, De nada, Bootylicious, You gonk!, dimepiece, wack, cock block, herb etc….

PurwellPurwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 654

Translation required for this old fart!

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Quote: from Purwell on 12:17 am on Feb. 5, 2007[br]Translation required for this old fart!

I think the point is so old farts can’t understand. :P

yorky
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1

I agree with Guskennedy what a heart sink moment when Alice Punkett reappeared on ruk I thought she had gone for good. she is by far the weakest  member of the ruk team

toddy
    • Total Posts 8

What a nasty, spiteful thread this is – I’m disappointed in TRF – some of you are no better than the pathetic lowlife on BF who have got nothing better to do than slag off other people all the time. And don’t call it constructive criticism, read back what you’ve written – it’s just a character assassination. I don’t know much about Alice Plunkett, but I do know that she has completed the course in the Foxhunters over the Grand National fences, as well as the Badminton 3 day event. Therefore she has already achieved more than you whingers will ever do, so hang your heads in shame and try to do something with your empty little lives. Come on TRF, you can do better than this – and in future leave the moronic slagging to the BF idiots.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Quote: from toddy on 2:56 pm on Feb. 11, 2007[br]I do know that she has completed the course in the Foxhunters over the Grand National fences, as well as the Badminton 3 day event.

Talk about missing the point. In what way at all does doing any of that make her a competent broadcaster capable of engaging her audience – the people that pay her wages.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Quote: from toddy on 2:56 pm on Feb. 11, 2007[br]it’s just a character assassination.

I thought it was fair comment, to be honest.

Welcome to the Forum, toddy.

toddy
    • Total Posts 8

Thanks for getting back Gus – fair comment it may be in your opinion, and I respect that. But a lot of broadcasters/jockeys etc who get criticised on forums like this are doing their best and I don’t suppose people who post anonymously on this and other boards would ever have the guts to make their observations directly to their faces. Remember this is not a pub – it’s a public forum that in theory can be read by millions, and excessive criticism can be very hurtful. Personally (and I address this point not specifically to you Gus, but to everyone who contributes to TRF) I think it’s only a matter of time before someone has a breakdown or tries to top themselves as a result of sniping on a board like this – and how would you feel if it was your comment that caused it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.