The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Albany 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

This looked like being a one horse race with every hound in Ireland barking the name Lillie Langtry. Supposidly a bit of a wonder filly. When she won last time up she does look very good and was definitely in a different class to the opposition. However none of those behind were really going anywhere at the death so she might just be beatable.

Wesley A Ward out fiend from the USA sent out a waring when Strike the Tiger won the Windor Casle today.

Anyone who seen dual winner Aegean win first time out couldn’t help but being impressed, but working out how good the form is compared to ours was never going to be easy.

Strike the Tiger started at 33/1 but I doubt if this filly will.

This could become a match in the betting Ireland V USA and will be facinating to watch.

At the moment I am siding with the American filly but it’s been a long day and will watch them both on video gain tomorrrow before making up my mind.

With 33 entries there is bound to be a few others worth considering despite the Irish hounds

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

Wesley A Ward out fiend from the USA sent out a waring when Strike the Tiger won the Windor Casle today.

Check out the breeding………Secretariat!!!!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

One horse race Fist – Lillie L will make the market.

The bookies are bricking it – they’re really running scared on Jealous Again in the Queen Mary, took 20’s and 16’s last week :)

brendanr
    • Total Posts 196

I’m pretty sure somewhere here is a post where I stated I’d bet all of Wesley’s blind knowing they would be go off at much too long odds. Mission complete on that level. Johnny V is simply different gravy to the local boys in these type of speed races. Cannonball ran a respectable race as well. Honor in Peace was scratched in the Coventry today which was a shame as I had a NRNB at 33/1. I see he is entered in the Chesham on Friday, could be favorite by then especially if Jealous Again who has my money at 16/1 goes in tomorrow. Unfortunately Agean and Yogaroo are currently not being offered. I’ll be off that bandwagon if JA runs close to winning because the prices on Wesley’s will collapse thereafter.

brendanr
    • Total Posts 196

I see where Mr. Segal has now officially gotten on board of the Wesley Ward bandwagon. Should do wonders for the price. Can anybody tell me what he writes about Jealous Again?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

After that performance brendanr OAB’s will need wings to beat Aegean.

Would have been double figures for sure if the had opened a book earlier now we would be lucky to get 4 or 5 /1 :cry:

brendanr
    • Total Posts 196

Yeah Fist the cat’s out of the bag now. Speed kills and speed is an American forte in horse racing. Those Keeneland races are almost like running on turf. Really expect Aegean to hose up now but unfortunately at the expected prices not with my money. Dont discount Cannonball if he runs in the Jubilee. The way he was running on at the end leads me to believe that the xtra furlong could be right up his alley.

I see Yogaroo is 2nd fave tomorrow. Msr. Chevalier ‘s running style wont be very suited to this speed merchant either.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

I wish somebody had told me how forward the american 2yo’s were in comparison to ours BEFORE they all started winning. All of a sudden W.Carson is wealth of knowledge on these trans atlantic heists and speaks like he knew this would happen – he was obviously on then? like **** was he.

It now looks like a glorious treble for the USA with Aegean being described as a ‘machine’ and their best hope of the three! 11/10 on BF.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Yeah Fist the cat’s out of the bag now. Speed kills and speed is an American forte in horse racing. Those Keeneland races are almost like running on turf. Really expect Aegean to hose up now but unfortunately at the expected prices not with my money. Dont discount Cannonball if he runs in the Jubilee. The way he was running on at the end leads me to believe that the xtra furlong could be right up his alley.

I see Yogaroo is 2nd fave tomorrow. Msr. Chevalier ‘s running style wont be very suited to this speed merchant either.

Yes, if this horse is similar you can see Monsieur Chevalier being five lengths down at halfway.

My fear is for the punters who have missed the boat twice and will now be jumping on the bandwagon. Surely they can’t all win?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

13/8 Ireland v 2/1 USA

At least I sussed it was going to be a match in the betting but which camp to support :?

With 22 going to post you would think this would be a more competitve race but when you look through them they are a right rum lot.

The magic word "quickened" doesn’t seem to be something any of these other fillies have heard of. Most that have won in tight finishes against others that look as ordinary as they do on paper. Something is going to have to have improved an awful lot to get near these two.

One that did catch the eye was Richard Fahey’s She’s a Charachter. She ran unbacked drifting in the market against an odds on chance on softsh ground and won very easily. It could be she needed the run or it could be they thought the ground was against her. He’s a top class trainer in my view and at 20/1 I’ve taken the gamble she might be best of the rest.

I have watched both of these run and I think this could be down to the way they are ridden.

Aegean sat in behind Jealous Again who was favourite and went past her with ease and was at that time without doubt in a different class to her. It was two months ago and both had won their maidens when they met.

Whether Aegean could do the same again to JA if she took off like she did
    the other day I don’t know.

Either way I hink she will have to be lot better than Jealous Again to hadle Lillie Langtry. This horse is suppodily in a differnt class to the filies she took on.

If this comes down to two horses cantering going into the final furlong and is dependant on finishing speed I think AOB will definitaly come out on top.

They might ride Aegean differnetly and try and make all and she could try and take the sting out of LL’s tail. They didn’t go that fast in her race over the first 3 furlong and when they quickened up JM had to get after her from 3 out but the reponse while not instant was ecellent. Once she got into top gear she won very easily.

I doubt if the slower first 3 furlongs helped her and I got the impresssion she would be suited by a stronger gallop and further.

This 6 furlongs should suit her ideally at this stage of her career and I’m sticking with her. What swings me is the race JA won. I think it was a pretty poor afair by Ascot standards and the Yanks beating that lot is one thing but taking on a top notcher from AOB’s is another thing

Lillie Langtree 13/8 for me.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

This 6 furlongs should suit her ideally at this stage of her career and I’m sticking with her. What swings me is the race JA won. I think it was a pretty poor afair by Ascot standards and the Yanks beating that lot is one thing but taking on a top notcher from AOB’s is another thing

Lillie Langtree 13/8 for me.

Probably worth considering Timeform rated that ‘poor affair’ the best Queen Mary for 20years.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

She’s A Character created a big impression when winning on debut and should enjoy the stern test the Albany is almost certainly going to be. Providing Aegean doesn’t draw too much out of her, her turn of foot could see her run in to a place (at least).

It looks like I’ve missed the 20/1, but 16/1 will do (were she trained by Richard Hannon she’d be half that).

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

My guess is that the 2/1 currently on offer about

Aegean

on BF may look generous by racetime. I’d put my trust in the Yankee as a smart sprinter hosing up perhaps with the sometime company of Sweet Sonnet. Lilly Langtry looks more of a prospective miler and may need She’s a Character as a dedicated pacemaker to have any chance of beating the Yank.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Wesley Ward against AOB is exactly what was said above….a completly different prospect than the Queen Mary.

After seeing Yeats winning anything is possible and it will be a big plunge Horse in the Irish Offices tomoro.

Fully expect Lillie to win…. :wink:

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Ward said the only doubt of his quartet with regard to performing on turf was Yogaroo and the horse duly ran like it. He has no such concerns about Aegean which is quite worry for the rest I would imagine. 2’s will do.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

My guess is that the 2/1 currently on offer about

Aegean

on BF may look generous by racetime. I’d put my trust in the Yankee as a smart sprinter hosing up perhaps with the sometime company of Sweet Sonnet. Lilly Langtry looks more of a prospective miler and may need She’s a Character as a dedicated pacemaker to have any chance of beating the Yank.

That’s a defninte concern but hopefully it will be a plus. As I said Lillie looks like she will get further. Having speed is a must but having that bit of stamina can also come into play in a fast run 6 furlongs at Ascot.

brendanr
    • Total Posts 196

I could not get involved in any of the prices on the front two.
    If Aegean had not contracted so sharply due to the stablemates’ smart performances earlier in the week LL would have been odds on to win this race which would have then had me thinking big time lay.

As for AOB vs. Wesley Ward, well when it comes to training precocious 2yo’s I know who I would go with.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.