The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Akdam

Home Forums Memorials Akdam

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

The winner of the first juvenile of the season was dreadfully unlucky to lose his life today after being brought down two out in the Fred Winter.

Such a shame for the horse and its small yard.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16965

RIP Akdam :cry: :cry:
    I feel really sad today again after Our Conor yesterday and now this young horse who I did think stood a good chance of winning today. I heard the race on William Hill Radio and feared the worst when they said there had been some crashing falls including this poor boy.
    I can hardly watch the jump racing nowadays find myself watching the replays after I know all the horses are safe, but I do love to see them and a horse like Sire de Grugy winning for example.

Condolences to all connections of Akdam on another bitter sweet day, horses are so fragile. :(

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

R.I.P. Akdam

We were extremel lucky to have YOU as the only fatality today. I have rarely witnessed such ugly falls at a Cheltenham Festival. It´s great that some many horses got away with their lives, but this isn`t a enjoyable sport any longer. Cheltenham Racecourse made some very intelligent modofications over the past years, but the decision not water this year is a very poor and cruel one. I don`t givea s**T if I win or not not. The pocket counts here the least. It`s the animals and jockeys that have to get home in one piece.
    If you allow horses over two miles to smash the track records by 3-4 seconds then you must be dealing with some mental problems of your own. The fact the champion hurdle winner was about 3-4 seconds faster than Istabraq is some cause for concern. The best proof for that was the fatal fall of Our Connor in the same race.
    What is the point in having ground as fast as lightning and bone crunching falls?
    The "sport" is starting to sell itself very bad at the moment. I never thought that I would hate watching the Cheltenham Festival, but that`s the case right now.

AKP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23

Unfortunately stack the deck was also put down after being pulled up in the bumper too :(

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

Report here on the Beeb website:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/horse-racing/26553332

More fuel for AnimalAid to bolster their recently released report on Cheltenham.

RIP to both. Very sad.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

The old [?]course seems a very tight one

; horses were packed very tight in the race. I hate it even more than usual when a horse dies from being brought down, and this race was absolute carnage. Going forward needs to be looked at very carefully I think.

Meerkat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 66

R.I.P. Akdam

We were extremel lucky to have YOU as the only fatality today. I have rarely witnessed such ugly falls at a Cheltenham Festival. It´s great that some many horses got away with their lives, but this isn`t a enjoyable sport any longer. Cheltenham Racecourse made some very intelligent modofications over the past years, but the decision not water this year is a very poor and cruel one. I don`t givea s**T if I win or not not. The pocket counts here the least. It`s the animals and jockeys that have to get home in one piece.
    If you allow horses over two miles to smash the track records by 3-4 seconds then you must be dealing with some mental problems of your own. The fact the champion hurdle winner was about 3-4 seconds faster than Istabraq is some cause for concern. The best proof for that was the fatal fall of Our Connor in the same race.
    What is the point in having ground as fast as lightning and bone crunching falls?
    The "sport" is starting to sell itself very bad at the moment. I never thought that I would hate watching the Cheltenham Festival, but that`s the case right now.

In all fairness to Cheltenham the reason the course records are being smashed is due to a new method of timing races. Previously the time was taken from the moment the starter "dropped the flag", now the time is taken from when the horses pass the tape point. This has resulted in much faster times being recorded as the time taken from drop of the flag until the field to pass the starting point is now ignored.

And RIP Akdam, I always feel it is the worst way to lose a horse when it has been brought down through sheer bad luck.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.