The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A ton of bricks

Home Forums Horse Racing A ton of bricks

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 279 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

I think it unfair for people to pick on Australia. Steroid use in training is allowed in other countries. Should we not allow Animal Kingdom to race here because it is allowed in the US ? Should we not allow horses that have been trained in Dubai to race here ?

Animal Kingdom is a bad example because Graham Motion is known for running a clean operation – he’s never had a single medication violation of any sort in the 20+ years he’s been training.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

I think it unfair for people to pick on Australia. Steroid use in training is allowed in other countries. Should we not allow Animal Kingdom to race here because it is allowed in the US ? Should we not allow horses that have been trained in Dubai to race here ?

I think I might have "picked on" Australia Ken, purely bacause the BHA/Ascot seems to go out of their way to attract them to Royal Ascot. ie Trying to attract horses who’s jurastiction allows them to do exactly what MAZ was banned for and what the 15 horses have been banned 6 months for. That’s hypocritical of the BHA! I also saw a piece on the Wibbly Wobbly Way about Australia allowing Stanozolol and ethylestranol "out of competition".

Dubai horses will come here without any effort from the Authorities, so they are not being enticed to come and therefore not quite as hypocritical of the BHA. However, I agree Ken,

any horse

who’s juristiction does not include a full training ban on these steroids should be banned from racing in Britain. Otherwise there is no doubt British trainers will be at a disadvantage. I am not certain what the rules on Stanozolol and ethylestranol are in USA (can Andyod or Miss Woodford fill us in?). What about Hong Kong or Japan? The press conference seemed to suggest it is only Europe that has the same rules as us (not parts of Skandanavia). It is also not enough to just ban these substances, they need to test for them "out of competition" too.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

Most American racing jurisdictions now follow the ARCI model rules. Some are more restrictive. One of the difficulties in implementing new racing policies in the US is that the NTRA, JC, ARCI et al. are basically powerless, it’s up to the individual states and racetracks.

J. Androgenic-Anabolic Steroids
    (1) No AAS shall be permitted in test sample collected from racing horses except for residues of the major metabolite of stanozolol, nandrolone, and the naturally occurring substances boldenone and testosterone at concentrations less that the indicated thresholds.
    (2) Concentrations of these AAS shall not exceed the following urine threshold concentrations for total (i.e., free drug or metabolite and drug or metabolite liberated from its conjugates):
    (a) 16β-hydroxystanozolol (metabolite of stanozolol (Winstrol)) – 1 ng/ml in urine for all horses regardless of sex;
    (b) Boldenone (Equipoise® is the undecylenate ester of boldenone) in male horses other than geldings – 15 ng/ml in urine. No boldenone shall be permitted in geldings or female horses.
    (c) Nandrolone (Durabolin® is the phenylpropionate ester and Deca-Durabolin® is the decanoate ester)
    (A) In geldings – 1 ng/ml in urine
    (B) In fillies and mares – 1 ng/ml in urine
    (d) Testosterone
    (A) In geldings – 20 ng/ml in urine
    (B) In fillies and mares – 55 ng/ml in urine
    (3) Any other anabolic steroids are prohibited in racing horses.
    (4) Post-race urine samples must have the sex of the horse identified to the laboratory.
    (5) Any horse to which an anabolic steroid has been administered in order to assist in the recovery from illness or injury may be placed on the veterinarian‟s list in order to monitor the concentration of the drug or metabolite in urine. After the concentration has fallen below the designated threshold for the administrated AAS, the horse is eligible to be removed from the list.

The 1ng/mL level (one part per billion) is actually under the screening method detection limit for the majority of testing facilities around the world. Boldenone and testosterone are endogenous; both are naturally occuring in horses at low levels.
    This applies to horses in racing and training. Out of competition testing at licensed training facilities has become routine, especially for blood doping agents which have long-term effects.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Don’t put words in my mouth! Jim Mcgrath wouldn’t have a clue he is a race caller over there.I never said some horses here dont use it,so DO NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH!!!My point is people like you get on the bandwaggon and all of a sudden everything is on steroids!What helps them look so bulked up? Not working them into the grounnd to run over 14f first up! Not one of your trainers could have won with Makybe Diva over 7f first up.We call it having them ‘big and fresh’ not flat and dour.Horses such an Miss Andretti was a small mare no growth steroids there,Choisir was a bull,so he didn’t need it.

It does

not

matter how big the horse is Jollyp. It’s the muscle definition that is effected by Stanozolol. Ben Johnson was "small" too. :lol:

So not wishing to "put words in to your mouth" Jollyp… Is what you are now saying?:

Some

Australian horses are/were given performance inhancing drugs; but it just so happens that – despite being a

legal

substance –

NONE

of those that raced at Royal Ascot were ever given performance enhancing drugs

in the lead up

to coming over here?

Of course a man who’s not only a race caller but a racing journalist with good Australian connections knows far less than you – which horses were given performance enhancing drugs. I’d be grateful if you supplied us with the names of those horses that do/did and do/did not race on performance enhancing drugs Jollyp. :wink: It seems to me any horse you do not wish to think of as doing so – didn’t. :wink:

I’ve

never

said that

all

Australians racing in Britain had the benifit of performance enhancing drugs. The mere fact that Australian horses have the

opportunity

of benifiting from training on performance enhancing drugs means British trainers are at a disadvantage.

I ask you again Jollyp, how would you react if the shoe was on the other hoof?

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Thanks for that Miss Woodford, will have another look in the morning.

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

GT same old every time with you,always twisting my words.Is there something wrong with you? You keep saying i said this or now are you saying this,when i have said no such thing.As the fine Australian Sir Leslie Colin Patterson(Cultural Attache to the Court of St James and Chairperson of the Australian Chapter of the International Cheese Board) said of Lady Patterson ‘You would bore the a*se-hole in a wooden horse’ :wink:

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

The mere fact that Australian horses have the opportunity of benefiting from training on performance enhancing drugs means British trainers are at a disadvantage.

I ask you again Jollyp, how would you react if the shoe was on the other hoof?

Absolutely spot on GT.

British racing should have a ZERO TOLERANCE approach to substances not allowed here – That should run to banning any horse from a jurisdiction which allows the use of medications/drugs that are banned here from competing in our races.

If the boot was on the other foot (i.e. our horses going to Aus or US with an advantage of any kind) the noise from those countries would be deafening and I’d wager they’d act pretty quickly to eradicate that advantage.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Australian trainer proposes a ban:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/horseracing/no-place-for-steroids-in-stables-trainer-20130425-2ihre.html

But Australian Trainers Association is dead against:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/australian-trainers-association-oppose-proposed-steroid-ban-for-horseracing-in-australia/story-e6frfkp9-1226629194818

"You give a horse a dose of steroids to help it thrive out in the paddock, you can bring it back earlier and start earning some money earlier for the owner."

That just sounds appalling.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Australian horses on steroids :shock: Well, I never !!! :wink:

I always suspected those Kangaroo munchers were dodgier than Arthur Daley, Del Boy and Charles Green put together.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Apologies if it’s been mentioned before but no time to go back and read all the posts but I had been wondering to myself if Al Zarooni had been involved in Godolphin over in Australia and had therefore been used to giving steroids to horses?

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Apologies if it’s been mentioned before but no time to go back and read all the posts but I had been wondering to myself if Al Zarooni had been involved in Godolphin over in Australia and had therefore been used to giving steroids to horses?

If I got it right from the press conference video on You Tube Moehat – it seems they are allowed steroids in training in Dubai. Although Simon Chrisford maintained apart from one incident there – Godolphin/Zarooni had not used it. He also said Zarooni should have known British rules and it was no excuse.

Thanks to Kenh
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMZXUGZC … e=youtu.be

Hope your hearing is good Moehat. :wink:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Well at least that explains why

So you think

,great big bull of a horse got beat by Al Zaroonis

Rewilding

,one was going through ‘Cold turkey’ and the other was ‘Buzzin’!! :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Well at least that explains why

So you think

,great big bull of a horse got beat by Al Zaroonis

Rewilding

,one was going through ‘Cold turkey’ and the other was ‘Buzzin’!! :shock:

Best horse won Gord, never in any doubt I thought. :wink:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Interesting to hear Clare Balding, when interviewing Roger Charlton, that he, via Twitter, he had wondered whether Black Caviar had been given steroids. :shock:

Maybe he’s just another old cynic like me. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

At times like this you have to note what a striking similarity there is between the features of Mohammed Al Zarooni and those of Colt Seavers:-

Mazza:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/fallguy_zpsd956862a.jpg

Seavers:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/maza_zps5d8adac6.jpg

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Interesting to hear Clare Balding, when interviewing Roger Charlton, that he, via Twitter, he had wondered whether Black Caviar had been given steroids. :shock:

Maybe he’s just another old cynic like me. :wink:

BC has never had juice H, just like all Australian horses who’ve raced here. :wink:

After all, his trainer has said so, so we should believe him.

Roger Charlton has said he wants a "level playing field"! I should shout it from the Beakhampton rooftops if I was you Roger, may be Australia Towers might here you.

Make no mistake, if Australia (and others) do not change their rules quickly – British trainers won’t be welcoming them to Royal Ascot.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 614

I had a few exchanges with Jolly over Australian racing and doping. He is very sensitive in this regard. I remember he wanted me to have a fight with Black Caviars trainer at Ascot. He slabbered soemthing about the trainer being a hardman from the outback or something. Nobody at the time bothered, but the whole Al Zarooni saga obviously brings the negatives into focus. I mean, Gai Waterhouse got away with traces of coke being found in one of her runners in 2005 when she blamed it on a stable hand having a habbit. Speaking of the devil……..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/super … 6630746541

:lol: :lol: watch the clip

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 279 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.