The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A Mad Question Or Maybe Not

Home Forums Horse Racing A Mad Question Or Maybe Not

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    batman
    • Total Posts 489

the Dec’s our out for the Grand National, i read in a recent interview with Micheal Hourigan that he might send Beef or Salmon to it, the Question is…..If he ran Would anyone Bet on him does he have a chance???

(BTW i love him so i would have a small bet regardless of his form in England)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

I think he’s entered for the Irish National which is a much more likely target, I really can’t see them running him and I’d be disappointed if they did – he’s been too good a servant to them…I’m certainly not against horses running in what is my favourite race of the year, but given his track record when he runs in this country and the occasional horlicks of a jump I don’t want to see him take part….I’ll be amazed if he runs in it, and I wouldn’t want to pass on my poisoned chalice by backing him!!!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

Good luck to Michael Hourigan if he thinks he can pull it off with a horse who has done him proud.

However, Beef Or Salmon is past his best, I doubt he’ll stay and his poor record this side of the Irish Sea would put me off.

Rob

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I think it’s a disgrace that the horse is even being considered for either race, but especially Aintree. He owes connections nothing and he should be left to live out his days in a field at this stage. Does Hourigan want another Dorans Pride on his hands?

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

I don’t think they’ll run him in the Aintree National, he’s too much of a pet to the Hourigans at this stage.

batman
    • Total Posts 489

I think it’s a disgrace that the horse is even being considered for either race, but especially Aintree. He owes connections nothing and he should be left to live out his days in a field at this stage. Does Hourigan want another Dorans Pride on his hands?

i totaly agree with you the irish national maybe as the fences are what he is used to but not Aintree didnt they do the same to Dawn Run??

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

Don’t think Dawn Run ran in a National.

batman
    • Total Posts 489

is that now how she died?

batman
    • Total Posts 489

is that now how she died?

my mistake she died in france in a hurdle race

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

BOS would require soft going. Also, he would be carrying close to top weight….non starter really..

regards,

doyley

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

to be fair to the Hourigans they tried to retire Dorans Pride and he hated every moment of it…it’s no consolation and I know it’s a cliche but he died doing what he loved…if Beef or Salmon was upsides at the last in the National with a horse that I had backed I would be screaming him home, but he won’t be there. It does question why I’m happy to see some of my old favourites run there but not others; I’d assume that it’s all down to how good their jumping was….

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

B or S needs soft or heavy to produce his best.
    He stays well but is getting on a bit and probably on the downgrade.
    I presume he is still rated with an x for being a poor jumper by Timeform.
    Any poor jumper should not be allowed to run in the National, however good he is.

Ginge

value is everything
    Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I would doubt that he will run, mostly due to a couple of reasons already mentioned above, i.e. he won’t be risked over the course and his British form is woeful (albeit with the exception of the Liverpool area’s other course, Haydock). I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if he was sent to Fairyhouse, however. He needs as far as you can give him these days and he’d probably have some of the more progressive sorts out of the handicap.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

If the handicapper gives him a chance, I don’t see why Hourigan shouldn’t have a go. I wouldn’t give him a massive chance but this "he doesn’t owe connections anything" guff is really tiresome. Name me a horse who does owe connections! He’s a racehorse for crying out loud ~ he’s still very useful and not overraced. The notion that he won’t stay is laughable btw.

Aside from his poorish record in England (although his Betfair Chase form is very smart) he’s not dissimilar to L’Escargot who was a careful jumper but nevertheless became an excellent Aintree campaigner in the twilight of his career. The difference is that L’Escargot got the chance to get his eye in in previous years before he took his big chance. It may be more of an afterthought with Beef Or Salmon, but he’s an intriguing entry, especially if very soft ground were a possibility.

On the subject of Doran’s Pride, the horse was retired but didn’t enjoy doing nothing and, tragic though his demise in the Foxhunters was, he had every right to be there (in fact he had won three PTP’s and was 2nd in the traditionally strong Hunter Chase at Leopardstown) and blaming his trainer is unjust.

(Apologies if I’m repeating anything mentioned earlier, but I started writing this response ages ago before getting distracted by some pesky work :o )

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Let him hunt around the back in Gr1 chases at Leopardstown and Punchestown if the horse still wants to race. Why subject him to a boat trip and the National fences. He doesn’t necessarily have to have a chance in the remainder of his races under rules.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.