The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

‘A KINGS RANSOM’

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips ‘A KINGS RANSOM’

Viewing 17 posts - 2,109 through 2,125 (of 2,437 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Excellent post Tommy,I’m pleased you are keeping the faith with

Sir des Champs

as I admire loyalty.If you put the horse in a parade of 50 others we would be able to single him out as he really is a beauty who has prescence.I would be seriously tempted with him myself at 10/1 as he can only get better.If someone said to me "You can have 25/1 about ‘Boston Bob’ or 25/1 about ‘SDS’" I’d snatch their hand off as he’s a certainty for a place,I’m just looking at the race from an Ante-Post perspective whereby I see a horse,a Mullins horse in particular looking likely to be targeted for one reason or another to the Gold Cup and will come in significantly over time,I see that in

Boston Bob

Definitely wouldn’t put you off Boston Bob Gord, I’m a big fan of the horse, you have to love the way he stays and he showed a decent turn of foot in the RSA too. I’d fancy him to be a player, 25/1 is too big! Boston Bob and SDC would be the only two I’m interested in backing at the moment.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Great minds think alike THM. Boston Bob 25/1

and

Sir Des Champs 8/1 are the value.

Gord, have you backed Boston Bob, or are you still thinking about it? :?

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Any chance we’d see Boston Bob in the King George at Kempton? Or with him being Irish-trained is it more likely they’ll keep him over there until next Cheltenham?

Or would it be a matter of them not wanting to push him too hard in his first potential Gold Cup year?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

and

Gord, have you backed Boston Bob, or are you still thinking about it? :?

I have a whole fiver on the machine at 25’s Ginge,early days to be playing on Betfair yet but its something I’ve always done and that is just chip away at what I perceive to be a reasonable price.I believe he’ll touch 40’s in time.There are times when you think you are being clever by taking a price on the machine months in advance only to see it double in time…………

Celestial Halo

did just that! :twisted:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Any chance we’d see Boston Bob in the King George at Kempton? Or with him being Irish-trained is it more likely they’ll keep him over there until next Cheltenham?

Or would it be a matter of them not wanting to push him too hard in his first potential Gold Cup year?

What we have to remember about

Boston Bob

is the unique fact that he is owned by a fanatical English racing fan in Graeme Wylie so where as Willie Mullins might keep a horse to an Irish schedule Graeme has influence to bring his over here to race so it would be no surprise to see

Boston Bobs

first major target being the King George Ben.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I was down at Rock City in Nottingham again this week supporting the Worlds greatest Bass Player and Band and again the same as last year the Balcony was closed! :lol: That Balcony is what makes Rock City the best venue for live music and for some stupid reason its closed!Of course just like I did last year I hung around the periphery waited for a few songs in and jumped over the rail for what is a modern classic,a song called ‘Relentless’,I did the same thing last year and spent the remainder of the gig in what can only be described as a personal Audience with The Stranglers! Well thats what I thought anyway! Shame 2 great big Bouncers didn’t agree,one came from either side of the balcony as though they thought I was going to do a runner and politely told me I wasn’t allowed to stand up here,of course I’m thinking of playing the Dumb Mute at this point but that wouldn’t wash at a loud live music concert so I had to remove my person most sheepishly,of course all those who saw me being lead away thought serves you right but I still got the best view in the house for my current fav song albeit for 10 minutes! :oops:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I’m not feeling the passion with this new C4 Racing team at all,GC is a fantastic judge and a form student extroadinaire but he lacks the Francome humour that tickles Jimbo so much.Mick Fitzgerald puts the Jockeys perspective across well and again is respected for his knowledge in that sphere.Claire Balding is the Professionals Professional but there’s again a seriousness that could so easily be softened by a touch of humour.Thommo for all his creepy idiosyncracies at least had a sense of humour and could lighten most situations,he was often the brunt of Nick Lucks dry wit but at least Nicks not afraid to express his point of view,I like his style,he knows when to ease off too.Maybe its just going to take time to adjust but I’m not over enthralled by the current shape of the programme.
    I’ll tell you something if Jeremy Kyle can make it on TV then there’s hope for us all,I could imagine myself suggesting that on closer inspection Paul Townend gave ‘Boston Bob’ a shocker of a ride,Jim would try and make me look daft by saying he did nothing wrong in his opinion then me saying he caused the horse to fall and him repying ‘Thats Rubbish’ and me saying but the horse was hanging badly into the rail and Paul encouraged it to do it more with his whip in his right hand flailing away like a Haymaker with a scythe.’Ive never heard such tosh’ Jim would groan with his mightier than thou attitude.No he definitely caused the horse to curl up going to the last by unsettling it with that animated display says I.’Ok so why has no one else mentioned it then’? says clever clogs Mcgrath.Bit like why they never mentioned why Willie Mullins reasons for not letting his 2nd Stable Jockey ride ‘Sir des Champs’ you mean James?? ‘Poppycock’ retorts a foul mouthed Jimbo! Up yours says I.
    A week later viewers are phoning and e-mailing C4 as to why that very talented presenter known simply as TAPK wasn’t back on the show again?? The switchboards were jammed!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Sympathies to all those who fancied ‘Nine realms’ at 4/1 for the Lincoln Ante-Post but I’m afraid the King of foresight just couldn’t have it.Of course I’m sitting on nice double figure prices about the joint favs now and am waiting to collect my

Captain Bertie

at 16/1 voucher…………..But hold on just a minute,there’s a chance that might not happen! What? he’s a bloody good thing! No! its not that he wont win its that its going to bloody Snow and the race will be abandoned and a new book will be formed and my fellow will go off the 5/1 fav! :twisted: Geezus the plight of the Ante-Post Gambler eh! What next? Snow on Guineas day.I’ll clear the bloody Snow myself if I have too!! :twisted:

Eliwallach
    • Total Posts 18

I miss Francome. Its just not the same without him. I like Mick Fitz but he ain’t no Francome. Which would you rather have a night out with? Exactly!

I can’t warm to Cunningham, i don’t dislike him, but i’m just not sure.

I like Balding, and Lord Snooty. And Jim "eyes closed while i talk" Mcgrath is ok.

And i have quite a soft spot for "T", imagine her whispering sweet odds in your ear at bed time!

Participant
    • Total Posts 32178

I can just imagine Jimbo winking and blinking at you Gord, you might want to bury him in the snow ……. :lol:

Everythings going your way for the Guineas Gord. The money for Henry’s son says it all for O’Briens mob with this ‘Highbarns’ using the race as a Derby prep, he’ll finish about 4th in the Guineas with O’Brien saying ‘We’re delighted, listen he’ll improve for the run, he needed it, he’ll get better as the season goes on, the Derby has always been his target, obviously we haven’t trained him too hard as he’ll find his own feet with races’ etc, etc.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Bit like why they never mentioned why Willie Mullins reasons for not letting his 2nd Stable Jockey ride ‘Sir des Champs’ you mean James?? ‘Poppycock’ retorts a foul mouthed Jimbo!

And that is ‘Poppycock’ Gord :lol: It’s obvious Mullins was none too pleased with Townend after the RSA but I have it on good word that he wanted him aboard Sir Desmond in the Gold Cup, but Giggy wouldn’t have it! Mullins is like you and me Gord – loyal! Even if it means following a horse off a cliff :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

and

And as I always say Ginger, value is everything :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

There’s a saying about when you are Fighting,never to take your eyes off your opponents eyes,its a lot of rubbish actually but Imagine doing that with old ‘Oogle poogle’ eyes Mcgrath he’d knock you out with dizziness just watching his eyes rolling around his head,he spends more time with his eyes closed on the show than he does with them open,then he gives that I shouldn’t be laughing at that naughty joke look,almost like a shy Schoolboy who’s never had a Girlfriend!!Then there’s the belly laugh, a laugh that normal folk aren’t allowed in on,its a clique laugh only for those in his circle but he does it to the Millions of viewers anyway as Jim thinks he’s the only one who’s allowed too.Watch how many times he’s either smirkin that smarmy smirk or actually laughing out loud just after a break for adverts,its one of those looks he gives to camera that says I know something you dont! The guys as transparant as his hairline and as sincere as a Snake.What Jim tips up on TV certainly aint the horse he’s backed! :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

and

Forgive me for asking Ginge,but when did a horse trading at 8/1 ever become ‘Value’ for a race a mere 365 days away?
    A horse at 25/1 certainly can be described as such as there’s every chance of going off at 8/1 365 days later,as could your 8/1 shot! :wink:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7872

Gord on ANNIE POWER i thought you were not one for trends

And if INVICTUIS is back next year i think he could run well in gold cup too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Gord on ANNIE POWER i thought you were not one for trends

And if INVICTUIS is back next year i think he could run well in gold cup too.

By definition I wouldn’t describe

Annie Powers

inability to win a Champion hurdle as a ‘Trend’ darren, more a fact! :lol:

Invictus

smart prospect that he was developing into is probably flattered by the form book mate.Any horse returning from injury is marked down as doubtful to return to the level once shown.
    Here’s a question for you Darren,What do you think the chances are of

Dawn Approach

winning the Derby?

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

and

Forgive me for asking Ginge,but when did a horse trading at 8/1 ever become ‘Value’ for a race a mere 365 days away?
    A horse at 25/1 certainly can be described as such as there’s every chance of going off at 8/1 365 days later,as could your 8/1 shot! :wink:

Classic TAPK. :D
    For someone who claims to have backed Simonsig @ 4/1 on the machine a year ago for the Arkle; to now think double that price is never "value" betting 365 days in advance. :lol:

You will never understand fair value Gord. :wink:

Punters need to win 11% of their 8/1 bets to break even.
    Therefore, if a punter

believes

a particular 8/1 horse has better than an 11% chance, then they believe it is "

value

" and should back it. Of course when betting ante-post the estimate of a horse’s chance has to allow for such things as likelyhood of running/injury, expected going etc.

Punters need to win 4% of their 25/1 bets to break even.
    Therefore punters need to believe a 25/1 shot has a better than 4% chance of winning for it to be worth a bet.

(I’ve rounded the percentages up so you don’t take a dig at the decimal points Gord). :lol:

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 2,109 through 2,125 (of 2,437 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.