A catastrophic day for NH Racing

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2019 A catastrophic day for NH Racing

This topic contains 24 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  ham 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1203

Can’t get it any worse. The tabloids are already full with Sir Erec videos alongside the New Zealand killers and now with a Gold Cup fatality you never know what might come with some many bad things already happening in the first three days.

Hope that Invitation Only will survive, but I’m not quite sure.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7685

What a terrible week the Wylies have had…

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1076

Definitely not catastrophic. Some sad moments and some great moments. Swings and roundabouts. But to compare it to a mass terrorist attack is absolutely absurd

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2593

I think they need to review the field size / conditions of the National Hunt Chase

However, I wouldn’t say today has been catastrophic; quite an overreaction, actually.

If the BHA do their jobs, the sport makes progress from this point and improves the festival for all concerned.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2201

Yeah far from Catastrophic… only the uneducated in the sport could fathom the idea of today being described in such a way

Let the journalists do what they do with everything else…

How the bha handled the 4 miler was catastrophic…. not what happened in any race, horses and jockeys get injured, thats the nature of it, like it or leave it should be the BHA’s response, theyve already given in too much to this point.

patriot1
    patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 402

Ex Ruby could you describe yesterday’s racing by filling in the blank.

A ___________ day for NH racing.

Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1203

Ex Ruby could you describe yesterday’s racing by filling in the blank.

A ___________ day for NH racing.

As already stated: PERFECT.

But you know, one good day doesn’t even out one bad day. If a bank wasn’t robbed yesterday, but today this will still be a robbery. And the many good days without incidents won’t matter.

Sir Erec was admired by millions of people prior to the race, to see him smash a foreleg into pieces is CATASTROPHIC, especially on Gold Cup day and considering the bruise he had in the week prior to the race. The fact that the bruise didn’t matter, won’t bother most people who admired him prior to the race.

Then when you have Invitation Only falling on the first circuit and not moving his hind legs with the fence bypassed next time round, what kind of reaction will you get?

I’ll offer you 1-100 that people will rather click on a video showing Sir Erec’s accident than on one showing the entire Triumph Hurdle. The same applies to the Gold Cup. It’s not the 80s or 90s it’s 2019 and the clips on the internet will tell people the story they want to hear.

By the way, I never suggested or compared two equine fatalities with the 49 people killed in New Zealand.

patriot1
    patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 402

Both the traditional and social media always like to concentrate on negative stories. We can’t change that. What we can do is continue to talk up this wonderful sport, defend it from those who seek to destroy it and most importantly continue to enjoy the fantastic racing that we see whether flat or jumps.

What we don’t do is keep making concessions to the people who want an end to this sport, emphasise the negative stories and create negative stories where there wasn’t one as with the ridiculous jockey bans after the NH Chase.

I fail to see how we could avoid the sad deaths of Sir Erec and Invitation Only but I look forward to your suggestions ex ruby.

Finally could you not just say break his leg rather than “smash a foreleg into pieces”?

Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1203

Finally could you not just say break his leg rather than “smash a foreleg into pieces”?

Surely not. First if all, because you can’t tell me what kind of language I should use and because other people on social media are already talking like this about the incident.

What we don’t do is keep making concessions to the people who want an end to this sport, emphasise the negative stories and create negative stories where there wasn’t one as with the ridiculous jockey bans after the NH Chase.

The jockey bans were by no means ridiculous. They were instructed before the off about the characteristics of the race and what they should do and what not. To keep defending them all the time is a bit too simple. No one is perfect and jockeys aren’t either. But to keep defending them all the time is getting boring. They carry a lot of money (horse value, owners interests, bets) so one should be allowed to criticize them.

Oh, and by the way, I wasn’t the one who banned them.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25856

people on social media are already talking like this about the incident.

Those with agendas on social media will always do that, Ex Ruby.

value is everything
    Quelle Farce
    Quelle Farce
    Participant
    • Total Posts 144

Barring a death in the National, today is as bad as it gets for NH racing, I am afraid. The premier jumps race of the year will only be remembered for the death of a horse mid-race.

As excited as I was for Frodon yesterday (and no, I didn’t back it, it’s not about the money), I feel really deflated about today’s high-profile casualties.

patriot1
    patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 402

But what happened in the Gold Cup can’t be prevented.

I’m always gutted when horses die but I can’t see how we can stop it happening. So we have to make sure that today’s GC isn’t remembered for Invitation Only’s passing but for the superb performance of Al Boum Photo.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 444

Seen a few articles where the language the media use to describe the horse fatalities is similar to the way they describe what happened in New Zealand

To me this is an absolute disgrace and shows the agenda parts of the media have

Obviously it is such a shame that the horses have died but describing it with similar words to a terrorist attack in which 50 people were murdered in cold blood doesn’t sit well at all with me

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2201

“Admired by millions” really?? Lol….Your exactly the problem ruby with comments like that im afraid, activists like minded people (like yourself) tend to pick up the “high profile” accidents, but sir erecs demise is no worse than a horse that slips up on the bend at chelmsford and needs to be put down….. if you cant accept these things occasionaly happen on the big days and the small, then this aint the sport for you. We say it time and time again, but no one involved in racings wants this to happen but it does and it will continue to happen…

The jockey bans in the NH were absolutely stupid, what AP said was put better than anyway that i could ever have put it, the horse finished third for f sake, into an e/w place! Can you imagine the outcry if he pulled him up because some idiot australian thinks the horse wasnt responding…. the OWNER was happy the TRAINER was happy, do you think they (especially jp) want any harm done to the horse, of course not…

Educate the twitter idiots or ignore them, dont be as stupid as them if your not trying to.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2624

Due to my excessive hmmm let us say obsessive splatterings in these hives of talking heads – I had to dust down my wasp suit and slide into it at the onset of last week, and forego that next day ROAR and any eyeballing of all the highly anticipated bankers of the Fest. The Een had started for me.

I was lucky to find myself at home with some spare time on the Friday afternoon to slot in watching the Triumph – so jerked the old Menace into life – and was highly impressed with the look of the statuesque Sir Erec, staring back at me – a placid full figured chestnut horse with a nice face. Well, I was shocked to see him break down a few minutes later, doing what he does best, and yes I experienced the full impact of the shadow that hung forlornly over the event, replacing the weather and the day really.

The other race I pencilled in was the mighty Gold Cup and to see old man river and care of my old blue bursting pocketed friend, William on the hill. I tend to be a bit of a slouch these days and not the best organised – so bad in fact – I doubt I would even get past the selection committee for a fly fishing club. Damn flymen !!!

Drank a leisurely cup of four shot coffee and old man river filtered completely out of my head to be replaced by platitudes surrounding Sir Erec and his unexpected demise.

A pavement man was consequently seen at 3.36 post morning, running up that Hill and to it, like a blue @rsed, highly charged buzz caffeinated fly, from a station that had been a human crime scene a week earlier. Its a sad world, and observing disappointed features on downward familiar looking faces filing out – well I knew my fate. Cool hand Luke was ten minutes late for the funeral procession..I wandered in to see a few loiterers, the lights, the money machines, the screen of green, but not even a hint of a replay and no mention of IT.

I had no bets, no wins no losses, but am here to report the tale. Life goes on and I still have my dusty quarter back horse, in muniature with the missing ear, and white forelocks, and it still assumes a damn fine air of superior presence and dignity that I seem to lack but am constantly rooting for in the sharp difficult bends in that river, they call life.

I prefer not to comment too much on the deaths due to my short angled view, but will say, I felt no buzz and my memories are best forgotten, but tbey wont be, as I have a sharpish mind and much like a bone collector, I collect myriads of mental, mist filled, memorials in that silicon chip inside my head.

Bright and early for their morning races,
    Doing something, doing something…

I quite like Mondays Bob!
    :whistle:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.