2017 Wokingham

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 2017 Wokingham

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16242

Along with The Hunt Cup, my favourite race of the meeting, and had my moments in it, so hoping for a miracle again.

I’m willing to give Big Time another chance here at 33’s, as I’ve long thought he had a big prize in him, and his last run didn’t put me off at all. 33’s looks fair to me, in a race I was desperate to see him get an entry.

I’ll definitely have another go before the day, with……..

Naggers 16’s
    G Force 25’s
    Poyle Vinnie 25’s
    Boom The Groom 33’s
    Squats 33’s

…..all catching the eye.

GL

botchy1botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3264

Outback Traveller for this. 4 lbs higher than beating Brando ( rec 1 lb ) last year but had a terrible draw and traveled into it like a real class horse. Brando went on to boost the form in a big way.

Backed him at 29.0 & 28.0 this morning

Really got the hots for this one i have :wacko:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5603

Agree with you on OUTBACK TRAVELLER 25/1 on him last year after saw him run well in Victoria cup.Did ok in same race this year.

Before entries come out i like MAZZINI 33/1 his trainer very good in this race and targets horses for this race.Runs at Goodwood so hope for a good run there

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5603

Money been flooding in for OUTBACK TRAVELLER was 25/1 few days ago with Betfred now fave for race

viktors89viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 337

Yeah, Hugh Taylor tipped Outback Traveller.
    Not keen on him to be honest, less at that price that he has now.

Some interesting names (Naggers, Boy In The Bar…) but I will wait at the moment

KrisKris
    Participant
    • Total Posts 451

Viktors, I agree about naggers he is very interesting, but at 33-1 a horse I really like for this is Edward Lewis. I know that he might run at Musselburgh before this but I think he will appreciate the step up in trip here and I hope they give this race some thought

viktors89viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 337

I agree with you Kris, Edward Lewis is progressing and could be a darkhorse if ends up in the race.

Not sure if Watchable will run, but he’s putting on some good performances lately and could be a good play for some E/W money.

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

As I said on the Scottish Sprint Cup thread, Edward Lewis has looked a better horse at 5F. He gives me the impression that will be his best trip. He didn’t look as good on the soft at Thirsk over 5F and sometimes I feel this is because it pushes the stamina requirement up.

Pace looks his best asset and the pace they will go in a big field at Royal Ascot in the Wokingham will mean a horse needs to see it out really well.

Maybe a Stewards Cup on good ground at Goodwood would suit him better with it being a faster track?

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4592

I was looking for a Wokingham thread and surprise surprise Bobby has one up and running!!
    I should have known!!

MUNTADAB has been a revelation since going back to six furlongs and I know it is SO hard to win this front running but at 40/1 if this turns up it will go close IMO

AMAZOUR at 33/1 is my next one!! This ran in the Britannia last year over a mile and didn’t quite get home but ran a hell of a race!! I think this six furlong cavalry charge will suit him down to the ground and granted a decent draw will go well.
    HARRY HURRICANE 50/1 is the third one!! This fella has been campaigned for the most part over five furlongs but I think at the price is worth a speculative punt that this six furlongs will suit him. He did run seven lengths or so behind Magical Memory giving it a pound a couple of years ago and to be honest that form would put him right in the mix.

GOOD LUCK :good: :good:

• Total Posts 16242

lol Raymo………….good luck with yours :good:

The Ante-Post KingThe Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8706

I’d love to see Intelligence Cross 40’s on the machine run in this..Coolmores only entry and would get in with virtual bottom weight,not bad for a horse who ran 4th in the Group 1 Middle Park last year.

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

I’d love to see Intelligence Cross 40’s on the machine run in this..Coolmores only entry and would get in with virtual bottom weight,not bad for a horse who ran 4th in the Group 1 Middle Park last year.

Intelligence Cross is shown as carrying 9.00 in the Wokingham Gord. That is based on top-weight Certificate carrying 9.10

It’s 30 years since a 3YO won mind you. My big worry would be how well the O’Brien horse has trained on this season. His two starts this year have not been much to shout about and he’s a War Front who took the oft poisonous route to the Breeders Cup Juvenile.

Outback Traveller is 4 lbs higher than last season but that’s not too bad for a previous winner. Selhurst Park Flyer is the last one I recall winning it back to back, so it would be a rare feat to see the double landed this year for the favourite. He’s too short for me but good luck those on at big odds.

I was going to put Fastnet Tempest up as a lay at 9/1 but you couldn’t really get much kudos for laying in the Wokingham. He’s simply never run at this trip and the question mark about speed has to be a worry.

At massive odds of 40/1 I was looking at Birchwood, who was a talented sort in his day. I backed him in the Cammidge Trophy but he didn’t look quite ready that day and he faded. Next time I left him alone because it was 7F and he did weaken after leading that day. Back to 6F Birchwood is now on a fairly attractive mark of 105, being a horse whose strike rate has been blunted by the tough assignments he has faced. 12 of his 15 starts have come in class 1 company and this would be his first try in a handicap if he shows up. His mark is such that he’s guaranteed to get in.

Anyhow, Birchwood would be a fascinating runner and at 40/1 you don’t need to stick much on for an interest in the race.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

The Ante-Post KingThe Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8706

At massive odds of 40/1 I was looking at Birchwood, who was a talented sort in his day. I backed him in the Cammidge Trophy but he didn’t look quite ready that day and he faded. Next time I left him alone because it was 7F and he did weaken after leading that day. Back to 6F Birchwood is now on a fairly attractive mark of 105, being a horse whose strike rate has been blunted by the tough assignments he has faced. 12 of his 15 starts have come in class 1 company and this would be his first try in a handicap if he shows up. His mark is such that he’s guaranteed to get in.

Anyhow, Birchwood would be a fascinating runner and at 40/1 you don’t need to stick much on for an interest in the race.

He’s an interesting horse too Steve,very few ‘National stakes’ runners turn up in a ‘Wokingham’ and 40/1 is massive.Good luck.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

Birchwood’s attitude is in terminal decline – 40/1 feels like a bit of a bait price to me. I like TAPK’s shout among the recent post – always thought good old Intelligence Cross would enjoy a big field and a rattling pace. Obviously would rather wait until he’s a confirmed runner though.

• Total Posts 16242

Along with The Hunt Cup, my favourite race of the meeting, and had my moments in it, so hoping for a miracle again.

I’m willing to give Big Time another chance here at 33’s, as I’ve long thought he had a big prize in him, and his last run didn’t put me off at all. 33’s looks fair to me, in a race I was desperate to see him get an entry.

I’ll definitely have another go before the day, with……..

Naggers 16’s
    G Force 25’s
    Poyle Vinnie 25’s
    Boom The Groom 33’s
    Squats 33’s

…..all catching the eye.

GL

I’ve topped up on Big Time at 40’s to 46’s, and I’m keeping everything crossed that this is the plan, as he looks like sneaking in if that’s the case.

I have added another though, but it’s not from my original shortlist. I’ve went for Aeolus at 33’s, as he looks to have finally been given a chance by the handicapper, and he’s always looked the type for a prize like this. He’s ran some nice races in defeat since his last win, and worth a go off of 103.

I’ll almost certainly add another, but will wait till final decs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.