The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cambridgeshire 2016

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Cambridgeshire 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17592

129 entries to sift through, and worth noting that Bet365, Betfred, and Totesport already offer 5 places.

I usually like a right early go on this, but just struggling a bit this year. My attention is drawn at this stage to

Banksea 28’s
    Spark Plug 33’s
    Clayton 40’s
    Dolphin Vista 50’s
    Spring Offensive 33’s
    Chil The Kite 33’s

who all appeal for various reasons.

I’m a bit hesitant, having got this badly wrong last year, but have had a go on Spark Plug, who ran well last week at York, and a couple of other runs have shown me enough to suggest that he’s over his fall last season at Ascot. 33’s with 5 places is too good to refuse.

I’m also swaying towards the Fahey pair, Dolphin Vista, and Spring Offensive, and I’ll probably have an interest in them as well at the prices. I’d prefer to be with just one other at this stage, but struggling to split the pair of them.

No big strong fancy then so far, and I might wait until the final decs before having a proper go, but at that price, Spark Plug would be my early #1, with the Fahey runners as tentative backups.

GL

botchy1botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3658

Very impressed by Firmament at York last week. I watched the replay a few times and he really hacked up.

Sold out of Noseda’s yard for 25K to O’Meara’s and he has shot up 19lbs this year in 7 races.

He could well be an improving type so had an E/W bet @ 16’s with 365 ( currently paying 5 places )

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5861

Any views on the Godolphin horses SECOND WAVE and Very Talented like the former ran good race at Ascot in Wolferton stakes think drop back in trip suit him with big field to

• Total Posts 17592

I like Second Wave a lot Darren, and he’s given me a return on his last 2 runs, so were he to line up here, I’d have him on side again. Left him out of the original list as I wasn’t convinced he’d head here, but obviously if he were to trap, then he’d be a big player.

Still not mad keen on anything so far, and have a few pounds on Spark Plug & Dolphin Vista at the big prices, and got them in a couple of mug perms and trebles, but at the moment, holding fire.

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4850

I have had a bit of a speculative bet in this cos we are going.!!
    I should really just let Mrsraymo pick em cos she has history in this race we have been to this race four times before and believe it or not she has backed the winner three times including SPANISH DON at 100/1 !!

Anyway I digress…

The three I have backed are AZZRAAF 25/1 BERMONDSEY 25/1 and DOLPHIN VISTA 50/1.
    Azzraaf ran well in the John smiths Cup and not quite getting home having been unlucky in the Royal Hunt Cup!!

Bermondesy was also unlucky last time and didn’t get the mile and a half the time before and Dolphin Vista could be same as last years winner and might get in with a penalty!!

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

You do indeed digress, Raymo…what does Mrs Raymo think?!

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8279

I’ve done Firmament and I felt he was unlucky dropped to 7F last Saturday. By the time he got out the winner had flown.

I expect Firmament to travel well and swoop late and as an improver with a little class I expect him to run a huge race.

16/1 was surprisingly still available after his unlucky run and I feel he will be a single figure price.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

• Total Posts 17592

No major withdrawals at the latest forfeit stage, though Second Wave, fancied by myself and Darren, is out, and he’s probably the highest profile absentee.

Pleased to see Dolphin Vista & Spark Plug stand their ground though.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

Real shame that progressive horses that used to win this race back in the day no longer have any chance of getting in. Obvious examples being Great Order (62) and You’re Hired (75). Sadly, the far less exciting You’re Fired will comfortably get a run.

You are left with a handful of potential improvers who have already been found in the market and the vast majority who will be lucky to achieve something near their handicap mark.

• Total Posts 17592

Can kind of see where you’re coming from Stilvi.

Very much like The Lincoln, the line ups the last couple of years, haven’t quite “grabbed” me like they used to, but as much as The Lincoln is in real trouble of losing much of it’s lustre, this race still holds a lot of appeal for me.

Of my 2 selections, Spark Plug wouldn’t have too many secrets, but very hopeful that Dolphin Vista can be that “progressive” type you mention…..well, as progressive as you can be off of 99.

• Total Posts 17592

86 stand their ground, and pleased to see that Spark Plug, and Dolphin Vista remain in the line up.

Spring Offensive doesn’t go, which has saved me a few quid. With a race like this, I’d like another in there, but will definitely hold off now until the final decs are known, though at 25’s, Bronze Angel is jumping off the page at me, I just wonder whether he’s been kept for this, and I don’t see why he can’t run a big race off of that big mark. 25’s tempts me.

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8279

Firmament is out of it. Just for a change a well supported one doesn’t line up.

Sacred Act is generally 10/1 favourite now.

Back to the drawing board for me. Hopefully something will pop up as a good bet.

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8279

I’ve found a contender at decent odds.

My eye was drawn to David O’Meara’s Treasury Notes.

This gelding is a 4yo son of Lope De Vega and he started the season on a mark of 77. It seemed to take a few runs before he started improving and since then he has steadily climbed the handicap, generally winning narrowly, and he has now risen to a mark of 100, which will cosily see him into the race.

Treasury Notes will need luck in running because he is a hold up horse and this will be a massive field. Three times this season he has met with trouble in getting a clear run but still managed to win all three times. A couple of times this year it has looked to me that Treasury Notes would be suited by the extra furlong of the Cambridgeshire and the hope would be to see him held up, get a clear run and hit the front fairly late in the day.

Knight Owl, who ran behind him last time is more prominent in the betting and he will be on better terms this time. The Fanshawe horse is one with a good profile but he’s six and at four Treasury Notes looks like he is improving and may have more to come.

Treasury Notes is going the right way and has won four of his last six starts. The trainer is no stranger to success and I feel that 28/1 for this horse is a bit of value. I would have chalked him up at 16/1 on my own board were I playing bookie on this.

Treasury Notes 28/1 to swoop late (Bet365)

botchy1botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3658

Shame about Firmament, the race looked ideal for him.

Just taken the 10´s on Sacred Act. Second the time before last to Lightening Spear who next time won a Group 2. Then won, despite trouble in running next time.

I´ve missed the prices but still feel it could end up even shorter on the day.

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

Spark Plug should ensure a good start for those drawn either side

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.