The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 460 through 476 (of 674 total)
  • Author
    Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

If he repeated even this year’s Gold Cup form, the opposition would be crossing the final fence as Denman crossed the winning line.

Connections should go for the Grande Steeplechase – it will be the easiest £280K pick-up in history.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

If he repeated even this year’s Gold Cup form, the opposition would be crossing the final fence as Denman crossed the winning line.

Connections should go for the Grande Steeplechase – it will be the easiest £280K pick-up in history.

I hope you’re right – would be great to see more target the race :)

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

Butler’s Cabin has always been AP’s intended ride and Jonjo’s representative. Nice to see him in better form of late as last year he just started coming right about this time. His festival run was quite encouraging.

ED finished very one paced in the Gold Cup there has always been severe doubts about him getting 4m4f anyway.

I believe they are going to run him again somewhere, but couldn’t tell you where.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Betfair Bowl looks the ideal race for ED.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 1982

Betfair Bowl looks the ideal race for ED.

Mark

Agreed, Ginge

The race is his to lose if he turns up.

I don’t think anyone would begrudge him another big race success. I’d love to see him saunter home like he did in 2007.

Quite interesting that he’s also entered in the Bet365 Gold Cup. I know connections were giving it serious consideration a couple of years ago.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Abbeybraney for me…. 10-3 at the moment, possibly anything upto 10-13 on the day will be a nice weight. He would be recieving 15lbs from Notre Pere (who beat him by a head at level weights at Leopardstown in December) and have no doubts the extra distance can work in his favour also.
    Dont know who told me this (was a long time ago) but a horse who is more at home over two and a half miles often gets these marathon trips better than the three milers. Not something I would swear by at any means but employed that theory to Drumconvis at cheltenham this year and worked a treat.

Brody
    • Total Posts 11

Abbeybraney for me…. 10-3 at the moment, possibly anything upto 10-13 on the day will be a nice weight. He would be recieving 15lbs from Notre Pere (who beat him by a head at level weights at Leopardstown in December) and have no doubts the extra distance can work in his favour also.
    Dont know who told me this (was a long time ago) but a horse who is more at home over two and a half miles often gets these marathon trips better than the three milers. Not something I would swear by at any means but employed that theory to Drumconvis at cheltenham this year and worked a treat.

Abbeybraney is a NR has been for some time.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Sh*t…… Back to square one then. :cry:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Sounds as if Garde Champetre isn’t running.

Participant
    • Total Posts 274

Yes so it seems. What a shame, and a costly one for me too.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I’m finding it difficult to ignore Darkness completely; my head says he hasn’t got a chance but he ticks an awful lot of boxes ..other than he won’t stay and can’t jump.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Just to correct an earlier post, the weights will rise to 11-10, not 11-12, hence a 7lbs rise if Nozic ends up topweight, or 8lbs if it’s Cloudy Lane.
    Where did anyone hear about Garde Champetre being an NR?

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

FWIW my 5 against the field this year are.

Brooklyn Brownie 66/1
    Tuned up with an easy win at Wetherby the other day which should leave him spot on. Handled the fences Ok in the Sefton. Stamina unknown beyond 3m1f but breeding encouraging. Well overpriced.

Himalyan Trail 40-1
    Won last year’s Midlands National. Ran well in the Beecher this Autumn on unsuitably soft ground. Didn’t show much in a handicap hurdle at Naas latest but trainer has won the race before with Monty’s Pass and will have him ready. A little 40-1 left, well worth taking.

Kilbeggan Blade 33-1
    Winning form over extreme trips at Sandown. Campaigned mostly over hurdles this season presumably to protect his mark. Overpriced.

I’ve also backed Garde Champetre at 40-1 pre Cheltenham (some rumours he doesn’t run?) 25-1 now is about right.
    I also backed Butler’s Cabin at 16-1 to smaller stakes, current 12-1 about right.

Participant
    • Total Posts 274

hey carvs, I believe totesport have removed him from their running list. To be confirmed tomorrow.
    Moehat, add ‘doesn’t perform in large fields’ to your profile on darkness ;)

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Garde Champetre wasn’t amongst the list of acceptors. Snoopy Loopy is the current top weight with 11-10. 88 left in, those originally on 9-12 look fairly sure to get a run.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Bit concerned that I haven’t backed Himalayan Trail but pleased with my bets so far; still concerned that horses seems to need a bit of class to win these days, and found myseld doubling the amount that I was going to put on State of Play so just rolled with it; surprised that Roll Along is still in it but until the weights went up thought he was ideal for the race. Also concerned that Hot Weld pulled up quite a few times before he won the Scottish National and worried that ferdy Murphy is doing a Ferdy Murphy.Think it’s time Snoopy Loopy was given a holiday; he’s done well for connections this year and deserves it.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Was reading Mouse Morris on teletext last night and he was saying that he his realy confident about war of attrition and reckons that he reckons war of attrition is well in at the weights, which is what I was thinking myself. Even if he ends up carrying quite a big weight he looks to me to be the type who is much better than his rating, and he is very exciting in the national IMO.

Viewing 17 posts - 460 through 476 (of 674 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.