The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 392 through 408 (of 674 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2284

few weeks ago a dreamt BA won the national, maybe should of backed him antepost

i still like simon though i always follow himw, hope he comes back to form and his jockey stays on this time round

vf

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Simon hasn’t ran for ages has he? Are they just trying to freshen him up a bit? i would like to see him get round, and he’s got a decent weight this year…I would assume he’ll have a different jockey, as Andrew Thornton will probably ride for the Alners.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33020

Simon is one I’ve backed myself, but I am getting a bit worried he usually needs a couple of races to get fit. Has not run for some time and surprised he has not run since the weights came out. Though he is in the William Hill at Cheltenham. The Alners only have Micko De Beauchene in the field who will be going for the Gold Cup. Although MDB is top priced 40/1 with bookmakers he’s almost double that on the exchanges which probably indicates Miko being an unlikely runner at this stage.

I wonder just what the Bobbyjo form is worth?
    Black Aplachi won well but what did he beat? Snowy Morning has been nowhere near the form he was last term. One Cool Cookie had run below form last time and Southern Vic has been inconsistent at best since his novice year. BA also got a soft lead out in front and is unlikely to get that at Aintree this time. Though the Beecher will stand him in good stead, that race is often won by a front runner. I don’t think he is that well handicapped either. 14/1 is much too short for me at this stage.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 274

His weight puts me off. Other than that runs well at aintree and is packed with the ability to travel at pace and stay. Place claims seem solid and dependent on ground and starting weights he has a real chance at the win. Others appeal more for the win though, BA may turn into a slim pickings type IMO. Shame he fell last year.

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

Another error made by BFT during the Racing Post Chase. He can get away with it at Kempton because the fences there are like paper now but he is an accident waiting to happen at Aintree. He will not jump 30 fences without making a serious error no matter who is on board and Ladbrokes were quite correct, in my opinion, to push him out. They were, however, incorrect to have shortened him up in the first place.

It makes me smile but some people on here laughed me out of town for the mere mention of a 7 year old winning the race because the "trends" backed up their negative comments but a year on they seem to have changed their tune (no names mentioned of course!) so I put the argument that they levelled towards me back at them. How many 7 year olds have run in the last ten years and how many have actually completed and what is their best finish??? I know of course but I’m waiting for you!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

was McKelvey 7 when he almost won?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Another error made by BFT during the Racing Post Chase. He can get away with it at Kempton because the fences there are like paper now but he is an accident waiting to happen at Aintree. He will not jump 30 fences without making a serious error no matter who is on board and Ladbrokes were quite correct, in my opinion, to push him out. They were, however, incorrect to have shortened him up in the first place.

It makes me smile but some people on here laughed me out of town for the mere mention of a 7 year old winning the race because the "trends" backed up their negative comments but a year on they seem to have changed their tune (no names mentioned of course!) so I put the argument that they levelled towards me back at them. How many 7 year olds have run in the last ten years and how many have actually completed and what is their best finish??? I know of course but I’m waiting for you!

Kendal,
    if you are discussing 7yo horses in the Grand national and their relative performances in the race then there is no case to answer, as they
    just dont achieve a thing, who was the last 7yo to actually complete the course oh wise one?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

was McKelvey 7 when he almost won?

He was an 8yo Moe!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Crikey; only 4 horses in the last @ 10 years 7 or less have completed albeit way down the field [all French bred I think]…..I did think that a few might have been placed.

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

There was a fair bit to like about BFT’s run, but the fact is he is 7 and a novice. I know why they have decided to go for it this year and unless they put him away or kept to him hurdles only for another year, he’ll never get in off a mark like this again. But in my view he is unbackable to win the race and there isn’t that much place value left either.
    I was quite taken by BA’s run on Saturday, but the race wasn’t that great for a grade 2 and he got his own way up front for more or less all of it. Also I doubt he’ll get ground that soft come Aintree. Not sure what to make of Southern vic, he seemed to be running a decent enough race until he made a terrible blunder quite late on which took the stuffing right out of him. I’ve not given up completely on him, but he has got to improve a lot to figure in it and surely the cloak is off so there can have been no excuses.

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

We are all well aware of the history of the GN and to back a novice could be considered heresy,but I am very happy with my 50`s,33,s and 25`s about BFT . I thought he ran a fair trial Saturday and am looking forward to the real thing. All of his trainers and jocks consider him a good jumper. Inexperienced yes ,but it is interesting that Hills will not go more than 14`s. It may be the magic sign knows something I don`t but I will be in shortly to test them again at the 25`s. :roll:

Participant
    • Total Posts 33020

BFT is not the best jumper in the National but certainly is not the worst either. Worse jumpers have won it in the past, Maori Venture for one. Rather back BFT to get around than Snowy Morning.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

Nadover was seventh last year but that’s about as good as it gets for 7 year olds for quite some time and below I have listed how they have fared, or not as the case may be.

I’ve heard many people, not just on here, suggest BFT is a good jumper and in the main they are correct but the visual evidence suggests that he is inclined to miss at least one. I think that some of the sternest fences in the land are actaully at PN’s local track at Wincanton and I would have liked to have seen him try his hand over them this season to truly test him before he cut his teeth at Aintree but alas it is not to be.

Nadover 7th
    Bob Hall PU
    No Full F
    Madison Du Berlais F
    Iron Man UR
    (Also Turko Fell and was aged 6)

No runners

Whispered Secret UR
    Le Duc UR

Double Honour UR

Jurancon F
    Royal Atalza PU
    Montreal F
    Shardam UR

Majed 12th
    Iris Bleu PU

No runners (but two six year olds failed to complete)

Tresor De Mai F
    Spanish Main UR

Village King F

Castle Coin UR
    Eudipe F

If this horse wins I promise never to write another post on here! I promise.

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

I’ll go one further, if it wins I will never bet on horses again. And while Nadover was 7th last year, he finished in a different postcode to the first 3.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33020

So what are your opinions of Maori Venture’s jumping Kendal and Stan?

Yes, BFT does usually hit one a bit hard and it would not surprise me if he fell. But it is usually just one or two mistakes at most. I thought he jumped well in the main on Saturday. If he usually only makes one or two erors, then surely there is a distinct possibility that one day he won’t make an error. Snowy Morning has made significant errors on practically every run, bar when 3rd in last seasons Grand National.

It is not as if we are saying BFT will win the race, just that he is value to win. Allowing for possible jumping frailties. To write him off seems foolish to me.

I suppose neither of you were on Master Minded in last years Queen Mum because no 5yo had won the race, and the year before, not many six year olds had won either (Voy Por). Surely it is best to judge each horse on it’s own merrits, not on what their age group has done.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

I here what you’re saying – in fact I was on Royal Athlete in ’95 and he was a terrible jumper too and I was always told not to discount a horse because of his jumping flaws alone because one day they will get it right as countless horses have done. But is he robust enough for this race and let’s face it, in truth he is still only six – not seven. Personally I believe the weight/novice trend is far far more important than the 11st statistic.

• Total Posts 4293

I’ve just retrieved this from the long term thoughts thread:

"I was astonished to find how few chases some National winners had run in their lifetime up to Dec 7th in their GN winning season:- Lord Gyllene 6 (in Britain), Miinnehoma 7, Numbersixvalverde 8, Red Marauder 9, Silver Birch and Hedgehunter 10, Bindaree 11, Comply or Die 12, and Bobbyjo and Royal Athlete 14."

Could this be interpreted as saying that Novices have a chance, so long as they are good enough?

I am taking it to mean that horses still have to be a certain age (9+) in order to have the stamina to win.

A lot of the horses with few chase runs had injury plagued careers. Would the increase in schooling they received, for 2, 3 or 4 years, compared to novices, make much difference to their jumping ability?

Viewing 17 posts - 392 through 408 (of 674 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.