The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 341 through 357 (of 674 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I think that the one who is really chucked in, but needs to get fit, is Trabolgan.

I’d have thought the plan would be to run in the William Hill Trophy at Cheltenham.

Henderson has got 2 months to do the magic.

GERALD,
    You Sir aren"t half as daft as you come across mate,
    Trabolgan, beat Comply or die in the RSA and would be the best
    handicapped horse in the race if as you say can show some of the old spark!

• Total Posts 4293

I thought I come across as an aesthetic intellectual?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I’m not sure about Exotic Dancer in the Grand National, personally.

Jonjo said that he can jump a fence, yes, he can, when he wants to. But at times he has put in some very dodgy jumps, noticeably at Aintree in the Betfair Bowl.

He wouldnt get away with that for 2 circuits over all the National fences.

GAZ,
    Thats where me and you will disagree i"m afraid, I think Exotic
    would love it round Aintree, he will be held up so far out the back that the fences will all be demolished by the time he jumps them, he will just saunter his way round, no problem!

• Total Posts 2440

GAZ,
    Thats where me and you will disagree i"m afraid, I think Exotic
    would love it round Aintree, he will be held up so far out the back that the fences will all be demolished by the time he jumps them, he will just saunter his way round, no problem!

Quite possibly, im not saying im right :) it’s just my opinion on how i think he may run.

It’d be so nice for McCoy to win it with Exotic Dancer, but he obviously has to ride for Mr McManus first and foremost.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I think Simon is worth an each-way punt at 33/1 – I’ll lay off in-running just before Valentines 2nd time around

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

whats Nicky Hendersons record in the National [his horses I mean having got a vision of the man himself jumping Bechers…]

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

I think that the one who is really chucked in, but needs to get fit, is Trabolgan.

I’d have thought the plan would be to run in the William Hill Trophy at Cheltenham.

Henderson has got 2 months to do the magic.

I find it ironic that the bookies are talking up Butlers Cabin being chucked in on Irish National form, when the OH has given him a 12lb raise from the current rating.

I also find it hilarious that because of bad form, the OH has dropped Tony Martin’s Dun Doire to 130, and now it stands no chance of getting into the race. :lol:

The most Ironic thing about the National is it give trainers the opportunity to train horses on the racecourse and most form flies out the window on the day. Trabolgan and Butler’s Cabin could finish tailed off in every race they run; win the National and the stewards wouldn’t say a thing. The trainers have an automatic out "The extra distance brought the best out of him".

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

He has been known to target the race Moe, with the likes of The Tsarevitch, Classified, Brown Windsor,Liberthine!

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Of the shorter ones, Butler’s Cabin looks fairly priced at 16-1, I don’t see that lasting. My main bet is Himalayan Trail at 33-1- Monty’s Pass trainer, won Midlands National, jumped around in unsuitable ground in the Becher and will be targeted at the race. Brooklyn Brownie looks big at 100-1 to me too after almost doing a Crisp in the Sefton.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

It’s difficult to ignore Simon carrying a stone less than last year..it could make quite a difference [perhaps a change of jockey as well?] always a horse to not back on the day because of all of the once a year punters latching onto the name.

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Having just had a proper look at the race, I agree with Roddy Owen.

Just watched the romp in the Sky Bet, [expletive] stats, this horse has a future.

The 33’s won’t be there for long; this is a plot horse, and he has nice e/w claims in what looks a pretty average renewal to me.

What’s the breeding suggest Kendal?

Pricewise ( TS ) has selected BFT for the GN this morning in the RIP. Nice to know we were there before him at 50`s

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Roddy

do you have to be careful about having a bet on another horse, just in case there a change of mind and Iron Man runs in the GN instead of the Topham?

Gerald

Problem will be getting him in Gerald. He`s coming back to form now IMO but probably miss the cut. Looks like the Topham

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

If a 7-y-o novice with 5 chase runs wins the National, I’ll take all my trend books and make a nice bonfire in the back garden. IMHO you guys should take advantage of the hype to trade out for a profit.

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

If a 7-y-o novice with 5 chase runs wins the National, I’ll take all my trend books and make a nice bonfire in the back garden. IMHO you guys should take advantage of the hype to trade out for a profit.

Interesting that TS starts his report today with" The trend boys aren`t going to like it because this is the race they relish more than any other,but the one I fancy more than most is the novice BFT,who is progressing at a rate of knots and could easily be thrown in off this mark"

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Have Big Fella Thanks in one of my Ten To Follow lists, primarily to win the 4 miler at Cheltenham. He is certainly the one who could improve dramatically, unexposed and probably can improve over the trip too. 50/1 or 33/1 is a great price guys, well done. 20/1 looks good on form / likely improvement.

However as has been said, he has looked a right dog at times this term, and does not jump well. Gwanako and Cyfor Malta have won over the National fences with very few chase starts to their name. But they were both very good jumpers. I’d say there is a probability of BFT either not taking to the fences (downing tools) or falling / unseating rider.

I do think Notre Pere is an ideal horse for the race, improving, jumps well, stays well yet is not an out and out plodder. Hope he is given his chance. 37/1 looks worth taking a chance.

Simon looks well handicapped. 33/1 looks tempting.

Air Force one would be interesting if he runs, looks unlikely.

Niche Market might be interesting but doubt if he gets in, may be another year.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

what sort of record does Pricewise have when it comes to the National? The only pundit I listen to is Eddie the Shoe in the Observer..doesn’t always get the winner but usually gets 2 or 3 out of te first 4.

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Harry Findlay says in the RIP today that he bought him because he was the best jumper his former trainer had ever seen. I can confirm his jock has also said smething similar.

Viewing 17 posts - 341 through 357 (of 674 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.