The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 273 through 289 (of 674 total)
  • Author
    KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

Moehat

His French sire (Garde Royale) has had a runner up in the race and marathons have always looked within his compass. I like him more than some of his more fancied Irish trained counterparts.

Vic Venturi is still my dark one though until he proves otherwise!

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

PN is babbling rubbish to keep them of his back. Can hear him now if Kauto Star beats him in the GC "Denman is looking great after his defeat in the Gold Cup" "He’s so well in himself we have to go for it as he might never get a chance like this again" or some BS pretty near to it.

Last week he was warming to the chance now he’ll run if only!!! Bla! Bula Bula Bla!…..PN at his best :lol:

If Denman does get beat then I dont see how it can be Kauto who wins unless Denman falls, gets hampered or breaks down.

I’ll crack the jokes :shock:

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

How depressing :)

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

BUTLER’S CABIN: If ever a horse was laid out for a race it’s this one. Jonjo says he only runs when he feels like it and the problem is in his head. Much to everyone’s surprise :) he came right just in time for last years race and was absolutely cantering when he came down at Beechers. He has run over hurdles in his last 2 races supposidly to boost his confidence :roll: One to keep your eye on and he won’t start anywhere near 20/1 on the day.

NOTRE PERE: I first noticed this horse when he beat a Mullins horse called Knocknabooly and he looked like a real stayer in the making that day. He then won a Grade1 novice over 3 miles gainlooking like staying would be his game. I never knew he was running in the Welsh Grand National and wouldn’t have backed but wasn’t surpised when he won it.
    He’s tough as old boots had enough speed to win over hurdles at 2m.He has won on good ground but scraped home but has obvious claims if he gets cut in the ground. If it came up heavy he would still be going when others had cried enough. Would bet him a few days before the race if it looked like coming up soft.

COUDY LANE: Joint favourite last season. Not many horses have a season like he had last year and go on to win the National although Highland Wedding does spring to mind. Cloudy Lane had 3 hard races winning them all prior to Aintree and there is every reason to believe he may have been over the top at Aintree. Donald McCain is no one’s fool and looks to be taking things a bit slower with the horse this season. I would expect him to be much closer this year as he is obviously being trained with only the National in mind.

DENMAN: Obviously if he runs he will take the world of beating but giving lumps of weight to a horse like Butler’s Cabin at his best, even if he is out of the handicap, is a lot to ask. Perhaps he is good enough to poach an unassailable lead on the 2nd circuit but he doesn’t have a second turn of foot IMO and anything decent is with him over the last 3 fences I think he’ll be beaten.

CHARACHTER BUILDING: He’s been slightlly disappointing since winning over hurdles and needs to improve on his bare form. John Quinn has always said he’s a national horse and the trip is expected to bring the very best out of him. Hard to ignore he was expected to win the Boylepoker.com Chase and was beaten a very long way by Mon Mome. He may not have the class it takes to win the National these days but could be one of the safest EW bets in the race.

SIMON: Very often horses fall out of favour with punters and this one seems to be one of those. He was tracking the leaders and still going well when he unseating his rider at Valentines last year. He won the Racing Post Chase and the Great Yorkshire at this time of year last season and the 33/1 on offer looks very generous.

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

I was quite taken by Killbeggan Blade’s run on Sunday. Admittedly it was noly a novice hurdle round Towcester but it shopwed he remains in good heart, while others from the yard have not been as good since Christmas. Also by giving a higher rated chaser, who has decent form this year, a good beating and conceding weight, it shows his chase mark may be lower than his current ability. He’s the right age, seems to have plenty of stamina and goes on any ground. Obviously we don’t know his mark and the Denman factor will play a part, but if he runs and Denman doesn’t he should be below the 11st mark, but in the weights and wouldn’t be the worst bet ever.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

what age is he? he was in my long list for last years race….

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

He’s 10 now so falls right into the 9-10 year old age band that has dominated the race for the last few years. He’s also having what is now becoming the modern way to train a horse for the race, namely avoiding too many chases and exploiting novice or handicap hurdles to protect the mark the race at Sandown was designed to get him.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Southern Vic for me – bit concerned he’s not been seen since his unlucky unseated at Aintree but he jumped well enough there for me to back him for this with a light weight and he looks like he’ll stay the 4m+ with ease.

Any news on him at all?

• Total Posts 2184

Southern Vic is entered in the Normans Grove Chase over 2 miles at Fairyhouse tomorrow IS. The meeting is in doubt though due to the weather. Inspection at 7:30am.

• Total Posts 4293

Why is Black Apalachi out to 70?

I tried googling him, but gave up after the first couple of pages.

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

Southern Vic is entered in the Normans Grove Chase over 2 miles at Fairyhouse tomorrow IS. The meeting is in doubt though due to the weather. Inspection at 7:30am.

For a horse running over an inadequate trip, he ran well and will be interesting when stepped back up in distance, which I’m guessing will be after the National weights are out.

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

C’mon, I need to know the entires. Who works for Weatherby’s here??? I need to know if Kilcrea Castle, Niche Market, King Harald, Halcon Genelardais,Vic Venturi, Arbor Supreme, etc have all been entered.

• Total Posts 4293

Same here.

I’ve researched the RSA Chase while I’ve been waiting. (Top Of The Rock will be a "surprise" winner of a 3m chase sometime over the next few months.)

Arbor Supreme AND Kilcrea Castle – that’s 2 7yos. We’re all at it.

• Total Posts 2184

Silver Birch is entered in a point at Nenagh on Saturday

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I’m surprised to hear that King John’s Castle is back in training for the race.I can’t find a list of entries anywhere but there seems to be money going on Abbeybraney, Southern Vic and Niche Market so assume they’ve been given entries.

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

Had a sneaky £2 on Niche Market at 280’s a couple of weeks ago! My portfolio is quite laughable! Loads of silly little £2’s here and there. Glad to see King Harald is in there (another £2 at 200’s!).

A couple of those in there intrigue me. One Cool Cookie is one of them. I suspect he will go for Fairyhouse but he really does have an outstanding staying pedigree. Hasn’t been campaigned that much over three miles + but rather like A Piece Of Cake a few years ago his influences show a strong indication that 4 miles would be within his compass.

Ice Tea is another but for purely coincidental reasons given that his damsire is Kambalda, sire of Miinnehoma whose silks were red and yellow as is Ice Tea’s!!!

Kings Advocate ran a cracking comeback race at the weekend too. There’s a cavalcade of horses coming back from injury in this year’s entries.

But no Halcon. I don’t pay the horse’s bills but surely there is a certain lack of ambition with this horse.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

The prices have just come up on Oddschecker; all we have to do now is decide which horses are definately going to run; what the handicapper is going to do with them and work out if Denman is likely to run or not…surprised about Halcon, I must say.

Viewing 17 posts - 273 through 289 (of 674 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.