The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 674 total)
  • Author
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Harry Findlay will defineately want to run "The Force" that can carry 11-10
    in the Grand National so long as the horse is well, thats not coming from
    any secret sources and defineately not "Grasshopper" but the fact this guy
    epitomises what owning a racehorse is all about, and that he is fortunate enough to have one good enough to actually test everything in the race!

I have to agree GW he’s a brilliant owner and has to be admired. Of course things could go tradgically wrong being the National but Anne Duchess of Westminster totally refused to let Arkle run in fear something might happen to him and he ended up injuring himslef at Kempton which ended his career.

The National is a much easier and safer couse these days and I’m 100% for him running. Touch wood he’ll come out of the race totally unscathed.

Magistretti
    • Total Posts 74

I’d love to see Denman run in the national and if he does he will have a massive chance but I don’t think he is the certainty that some people make him out to be. There is no disputing he will be the best horse in the race by a mile (unless Master Minded and Kauto Star turn up lol) but carrying top weight in the national is no simple task regardless of how inferior your opponents are.

Denman’s jumping is very good and it will have to be for this race given the fences but getting the trip is what worries me about him. He was out on his feet coming up the hill in the Gold Cup and whilst it is not the same race or track his staying power will be tested to it’s limits in the national.

I’m definitely excited about the prospect of him running in the national but first and foremost I hope he comes back in imperious form when he has his first run of the season. Then we have the small matter of the Gold Cup to sort out… and then the national. 8)

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

Its all speculation so far and PN has aid lots of things about lots of horses in the past and either changed his mind or been proved wrong. Antepost betting is a risky game and its ok saying 10/1 or 16/1 now is a great bet if he then wins the Gold Cup 14l and is bouncing come National day, but if he doesn’t even make the Aon or gets beat there and is a shadow of himself, or god forbid get injured before Aintree 10/1 or 16/1 is lost money.
    I’d rather know for certain than play relatively small prices about what is a horse with a huge question mark over his well being, which some people seem to have forgotten.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Double Thriller was something similar the morning of the race Fists but took a bit of a walk on course

• Total Posts 1537

If he dosen’t run, all PNs comments have done is line the bookies pocket. It’s tough enough trying to get a couple of shillings out of the bookies without placing horses that don’t run. It would be better if Findlay came out and spoke.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

they always just say, though, ‘if you don’t enter you can’t run’….although it does annoy me, as I’ve said before that horses are entered with no intention whatsoever of running; quite often I guess when the trainer wants to run but the owners don’t..I know years ago Grey Abbey was still very much in the betting for the National after his Gold Cup run, and the owners had told us at Cheltenham that there was no way that their horse would run at Aintree….however, as Joe Public tends to only bet on the day of the race part of the interest in betting ante post on the race is working out who is really going to run, and this Denman business is probably giving us some good prices on other horses.

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

He wont run this year. If he does I’ll even attend an evening of sand dancing at wolverhampton.

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

I`d like to see the sand dancing Underscore. Of course you have to enter the horses ,especially in the big races. If you don`t ,and a little closer to the race you are being asked by everyone to run,who pays the supplement ?.
    Denman,if he gets the trip,would have a hell of a chance, but I don`t think he will run this year. And all those horses snapping at his heels would make it very uncomfortable for him.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I suppose if he was to open up at something like 5/2 the weight of public money for oher hosres might see him drift.

That aside they are not going to take any chances with this horse. This is no ordinary animal ‘ He could go to Antree with the best race record of all time, Like won 16 from 17 races,,,,,,and it could be like Newbury all over again only he’ll beat them further…..he was around 5/1 that day but he was just out of the novice class then, not a 2 times Gold Cup winner.

Ask Barry Dennis and TDK Iif you can have a couple of grand at 6/1 right now NR no bet and on the condition he goes to Aintree unbeaten and has won another Gold Cup……..when they stop laughng let me know. :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Most of you seem to have Denman first past the post already. I would urge a more cautionary approach

I am a huge fan of the horse but I certainly don’t think he is the massive good thing for the National that some believe him to be.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Most of you seem to have Denman first past the post already.

Aren’t you ignoring the obvious here Himself? Denman has the best form by miles, not rocket science. I’d be interested if you could make a case as to why Denman should not be the price he is, or why you think he can’t win.

You seem to be putting words in my mouth, marble.

I didn’t say he couldn’t or wouldn’t win; I said that he is not the good thing that some are supposing.

Why ? Simple really.

The uncertainty of the Grand National. The ground might not be too his liking, he may not stay the four and half miles, he might fall, he might refuse, he might be brought down or hampered by another ( or loose ) horse, Ruby might fall off ( :wink: ) … and so on and so on. You get my drift ?

Magistretti
    • Total Posts 74

Most of you seem to have Denman first past the post already.

Aren’t you ignoring the obvious here Himself? Denman has the best form by miles, not rocket science. I’d be interested if you could make a case as to why Denman should not be the price he is, or why you think he can’t win.

You seem to be putting words in my mouth, marble.

I didn’t say he couldn’t or wouldn’t win; I said that he is not the good thing that some are supposing.

Why ? Simple really.

The uncertainty of the Grand National. The ground might not be too his liking, he may not stay the four and half miles, he might fall, he might refuse, he might be brought down or hampered by another ( or loose ) horse, Ruby might fall off ( :wink: ) … and so on and so on. You get my drift ?

Himself, do you call that making a case?! joking :lol:. Very well put, I couldn’t agree more.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

…………………..no, they want to back the winner.

Crisp was a much better horse than Red Rum.

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Himself, do you call that making a case?! joking :lol:. Very well put, I couldn’t agree more.

Thank you kindly Magistretti. :wink:

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Good point Colin and I think H is correct. I have hopefully been cautious enough to use the word could in the right places.

The disadvatage, apart from the weight, Denman may have is the National is not an ordinary race and his "strong run" tactics from a long way out might not work as well at Aintree.

The national on the second circuit after or jus before Beechers very often a new leader emerges carrying a feather weight and the pace injection is quite severe and gets more than a few in trouble. Bindaree springs to mind,. Denman may not get it all is own way here like he so often does round park courses.

Getting into a race with some lightwieght from a long way out may take it’s toll in the dying stages and see him coming home a very tired horse.

I hope he overcomes that and evrything else as it would be fantastic to watch and great for racing.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

What happens if Kauto Star beats him in the GC? I would say they would then run him without hesitation.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Will he even run in the Gold Cup? Or might something "go amiss" with him?

Another interesting runner could be Exotic Dancer. The same question occurs to me.

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 674 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.