The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 guineas 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 guineas 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    GladiateurGladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1282

“Especially as this horse stands on the verge of making history as the best two year old… ever!”

Come on now, Ginge.

As a self-confessed Timeform fan, you should know that Pinatubo has little chance of surpassing Frankel’s 2yo rating of 133, let alone Celtic Swing’s 138.

And as for Windy City’s 142? Dream on.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2846

134 Gladiateur no? Just seen a tweet no a TF subscriber

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 671

Jason weaver pointed out he looks way more developed than other 2yos and he wouldnt be certain to train on. That was a freakish win and he looked amazing. Im sure he’ll win the 2000 guineas but after that not so sure. How many winter certainties for the guineas dont develop. I go back to try my best who looked like a monster but didnt deliver.Too darn hot etc etc. Lets just enjoy the horse and come next may who knows.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1305

I agree mickey, it’s probably more likely he isn’t a freakish good horse than he is(talking about next year obviously).

Think CA already said they are looking at the Dewhurst anyway didn’t he? Makes no sense to me to put him away for the year as he’s clearly the best 2year old by a million miles!

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

I say connections are right to run Pinatubo in the Dewhurst . Strike while the iron is hot .

A word to the wise .Those of us old enough to remember Bernarnd Van Cutsems’star 2 year old Crowned Prince ( thumped Rheingold in the Dewhurst ) , will recall how the racing press and punters went overboard about him and how he would clean up as a 3 year old . Never happened .

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26562

Spot on Jack, Pinatubo got 134 for yesterday’s performance.
    I should have said could be “on the verge”. According to Timeform, Pinatubo has already put up a better two year old Timeform rating than Frankel, Gladiateur. As far as I can remember – yesterday was the best two year old performance this early in the season that I’ve seen in my racing lifetime (I’m 53)… Although Pinatubo doesn’t have much in the way of physical scope for next year (extremely unlikely to ever reach Frankel’s career best of 147) has progressed every start so far at two… Therefore a pretty good chance can up that 134 further in the Dewhurst if allowed to do so. Whether it will be enough to top Windy City’s 142 is questionable; imo less likely than likely. However, if progressing at the same rate as he’s done on each start to date will achieve that hallmark. 19 lbs first to second start, then 10, 10 and last time out 9 lbs.

value is everything
    LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

I think it is a question of is he the archetypal fully developed 2yr old right now that might not have much improvement in him from 2-3 (say an Arazi type) compared to the less developed ones that will grow/strengthen much more and close the gap by the time the 2000g comes around.

I would also be just a little wary about the Dewhurst more on the fact that it is late in the year and it will be his 6th run in a season which started on 10 May, he may well have the laid back attitude and show all the signs that another run will not be an issue but it wouldn’t be the greatest surprise if he did blow out as horse can going over the top extremely quickly late in the year.

Remember back to Frankel’s Dewhurst when Drean Ahead & Godolphin’s Saamidd (who unfortunately before the race got labelled as an equine version of Pegasus) blew out spectacularly after impressive runs prior.

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22783

53 ginger. Must be a typo, I had you down as low 40s, you look so well for someone that gambles for a living.

Member since March 2008
    GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26562

Always looked young for my age, Nathan; gingers do.
    When carpet fitting (working for my Dad’s business) I was once asked “do you want to be a carpet fitter when you grow up”?

I was 36.

…And replied “No, I want to bet on horses for a living”.

value is everything
    Bobby BluebellBobby Bluebell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 216

Will anything turn up to take him on in the Dewhurst?

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

Not likely to turn up (probably bound for the Middle Park) but Siskin would be a very interesting runner especially on quick ground – I would say Aiden will most likely take him on again with a few and maybe Hannon will be tempted to run either Mums Tipple or Threat.

JJMSportsJJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

You’d be a brave man taking the short prices on that Godolphin animal!

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2195

ive backed Palace Pier 20-1 and he runs shortly. He is entered in the Dewhurst dunno if he will go there.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10643

I’ve taken 9/2 for Pinatubo to finish the 2020 Season unbeaten (min 3 runs) starting with The 2000 Guineas and hoping it goes ahead. :good:

So disappointed not to be at Newmarket cheering him home. :heart: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1305

On the RP site they said in an article about Fabre taking Alson to Newmarket for the Guineas, that Earthlight was taking a break. Is that actually confirmed anywhere? I haven’t seen any confirmation he is, although he’s drifting badly on oddschecker so looks likely.

A little fishy if it’s true, I think GT called this last year, would not be surprised if Earthlight picks up a mysterious knock before Newmarket to avoid a clash.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 207 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.