The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 guineas 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 guineas 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    colosus68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 150

For fecks sake (as we say in Ireland) !

Frenchy stated that the Tubo is finished.

I thought you and Nathan would back me up !

Times/Ground etc etc
    He is still a nice asset that Godolphin have.

I am not giving up on him.

It may take time to develop him but I think he could take on the best of sprinters if put back sprinting.

I have this vision of him breaking fast and tearing up the track and saying goodbye to the field and away with him.

Its Sheik Mohammeds decision to leave him over a mile.
    I would prefer if he went back sprinting.

Let him out in front and push the button and play catch me if you can.

I believe if you think you have the fastest horse in the race then go out in front and put it to the rest of them. Catch me if you can !

Colosus

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1307

Ah I don’t think so, I think people wanted Pinatubo to be a superstar
    But he never looked like it as a two year old. He’s a freak young colt and today proves it. But we should not be down about it we should celebrate what we saw as a two year old. But! The 3 highest rated 2 year oldsin history. Not one is a Guineas winnner

colosus68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 150

Frenchy

Time will tell.

You could be putting your bum very close to the fire.

Dont put it through it so early on !!!!

LOL

Colosus :yahoo:

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3255

Interesting thoughts about sprinting colosus…Pinatubo looks more like a sprinter than Ten Sovereigns did anyhow.

colosus68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 150

Pinatubo

soon chased leaders, 4th 3f out and closed up travelling smoothly, led over 2f out, pushed along over 1 1/2f out, asserted from over 1f out, stayed on strongly inside final furlong, impressive

The race last September at the Curragh, Group 1 over 7F.
    He had Arizona 9L behind in 3rd.
    Something is not adding up to me with todays run.

I just cant put my finger on it.

Whether he needs an easier track over a mile.
    Maybe he had a bad day.
    The record breaking time in the race.
    Should he be put back to 6f or 7f.
    Or have Godolphin a long term plan for him that we joe public dont know about.

Answers on a post card

Colosus :cry:

colosus68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 150

Frenchy

Do us a favour !
    Please go to Sheik Mo and tell him your views on Pinatubo.
    If he agrees with you then ask him can I buy him.

After hearing what you tell him he might let him go for a song !!

Colosus :good:

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2850

The record breaking time in the race.
    Most of the races were being run on very fast times- hard to see that being an excuse…

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

colosus68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 150

Jack

I have been studying the race.

Could Buick have rode him differently ?

Colosus :unsure:

colosus68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 150

Frenchy

Pinatubo drifted to 6-4 favourite (from 5-4) with William Hill for the St James’s Palace Stakes on June 20.

They must have seen your posts !!

Colosus :yahoo:

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10688

Disappointing that Pinatubo didn’t live up to his Superstar status today but we can’t write him off for this one bad run he was just doing his job.

Watching the race several times and think he got unbalanced when he got to the dip and couldn’t maintain his run.

He didn’t exactly shine when he won The Dewhurst but at the Curragh he left us all open mouthed and hailing a Champion he was magnificent that day.

When the weather changed it could have become quite slippery in the dip he was definitely not happy today and take nothing away from Kameko and Wichita they ran amazing races..283 days off a racecourse took it’s toll he had a bad day maybe something was amiss we may find out later..but he will be back and without the hype as we now know he is no Frankel but he is a decent racehorse and he did his best today.
    :heart:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

Sometimes the obvious explanation is the one starring us right in the face, even if we want to believe it isn’t.

Being a smaller and more compact horse Pinatubo was obviously a lot more forward in his 2 yr old developement and this is borne out by the fact that when he made his 4th appearance as a 2 yr old (winning the G2 Vintage Stakes at Goodwood on 30 July) Kameko had only made his racecourse debut 5 days earlier at Sandown and we would still be waiting to see Wichita make his own debut on 23 August.

The later developing types usually tend to take a bigger jump from 2 – 3 when compared to the more precocious ones and in this case it is probably even more pronounced especially when you consider Kameko & Wichita’s physical size compared to the smaller Pinatubo. One might argue that Pinatubo had reached his physical peak in Ireland and by the time the Dewhurst came around the following month the advantage he had may have already started to narrow.

Being that a lot of people refer to the 2000g as the last 2 yr old race of the season, had it been run at the end of April (its normal time) it is very possible that we may of been having a very different conversation about the winner of the race.

That being said it is possible that we might not get a further chance to put all our theories to the test as while the 2nd & 3rd might butt heads again at Royal Ascot, I think it is highly unlikely that all three will clash again.

Ghost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 742

Great reply Triptych. I too was thinking along those lines … particularly regarding the dip. It’s as though it blunted his momentum. His run instantly reminded me of Celtic Swing’s effort in the 1995 2000.

I’ve watched the race a few times now and also the Dewhurst and I think he isn’t quite suited to Newmarket. On good ground and on a straighter track, I pretty hopeful he’ll get his thrust back.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1307

I don’t want to be the one that knocks Pinatubo but I agree with LD, it’s now more likely than not he was a freak 2 year old and the National Stakes was a random anomaly. To finish 3rd not seen the RPR yet but likely means he’s gone backwards when taking in the natural progression factor. It’s very possible to me he will never win a group 1 again.CA said earlier this spring if he finishes by close up second or third he’ll step him up. He’s bred on paper to have a chance of the derby distance, I completely refused to consider him based on his pace last year but I do wonder now if CA is considering it after that. Not seen any comments

It’s a massive run from Wichita that, I guess Kameko is going straight to the derby but I’d rather he went to the SJP, Wichita on a bend round Ascot against Pinatubo it looks like for a rematch? Unless Pinatubo takes his chance in the derby

Got my eye firmly on Palace Pier there though!

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2226

William Buick’s comments straight after the race summed it up for me.
    He said he’s run a great race. No excuses. The 2 horses that beat us look like they have strengthened up a lot over the Winter.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2226

What will be interesting is that at Ascot if Wichita, Pinatubo and Palace Pier clash is which horse recovers in time the best also to give their true running. The gap between Ascot and Guineas meeting is very small this year. You normally see them start of May followed by mid June. Palace Pier had the easier time of it out of the 3.

An added conundrum. :mail:

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 207 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.