The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Yanworth

Home Forums Horse Racing Yanworth

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 211

I’m not a big jumping Fan but Yanworth is the most impressive jump horse I’ve seen in ages.

Am i easily pleased ???

Participant
    • Total Posts 31477

Looks a Champion.
    My worry would be the trainer, great with juveniles but they don’t seem to progress with him.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

droffats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 608

Have to say, if he stays sound he is an absolute cert at Cheltenham. My only worry being Barry Geraghty. Apologies to his fans but he is not my favourite jockey.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1605

Looked mighty impressive in last run. Hard to oppose at Cheltenham on that form.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2934

Was his most impressive performance to date but it was on heavy ground and with the exception of last year’s Cheltenham bumper all of his runs have been with considerable give in the ground.

Wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of this winter form on bad ground is turned on its head come the Festival – a lot of the horse will leave that form behind when they get on some decent ground and that will also mean the races will be run at a quicker gallop and more emphasis will be placed on slick jumping.

Not saying he doesn’t deserve his place at the head of the market but it will provide a much different test for him than what he has faced so far this season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Have to say, if he stays sound he is an absolute cert at Cheltenham. My only worry being Barry Geraghty. Apologies to his fans but he is not my favourite jockey.

Brilliant jockey. Look at his recent big race wins, look at the stats, his strike rate and how few times he falls from a horse.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4440

Another poster, Stilvi, has made far from complimentary comments about Geraghty in the Triumph Hurdle thread.

Should we therefore assume that Yanworth, who is now odds-on with some bookmakers, should be given a wide berth?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1300

Yanworth didn’t run a bad race in last year’s Cheltenham Bumper but more of a solid one… only just over three lengths behind the winner.

This season, he has looked superb and his latest run was mesmerizing. According the Alan King, he should be better on quicker ground. Looks like one of the Festival’s certs.

I’m also looking forward to seeing the return of Moon Racer provided his problems have been ironed out.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6126

He’s rated 158. Faugheen won his neptune off 152.

There is some risk, imo, that the handicapper has overreacted to one performance as they do from time to time (think Master Minded). Perhaps that assessment was affected by his trainer saying he believed he’d never had anything like him. We shall see.

I won’t be betting him because his price doesn’t justify the risk attached to his hurdling style. He is not a natural jumper though has looked workmanlike enough. That potential duck-out at the third last, which was put down to greenness is another slight worry. Apparently his sire was not straightforward.

But his bumper run seemed fine on decent ground, and there has to be a chance that better conditions will help his jumping. I’ll be watching with interest, and might have an EW bet on Bellshill, who did not run his race yesterday.

Good luck to those with decent prices about Yanworth. One certainty you have is excitement!

Participant
    • Total Posts 31926

That potential duck-out at the third last, which was put down to greenness is another slight worry. Apparently his sire was not straightforward.

The looking to duck out was when the horse spooked at a line in the grass, where the hurdle had been for a previous meeting Joe.

Value Is Everything
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4885

Another poster, Stilvi, has made far from complimentary comments about Geraghty in the Triumph Hurdle thread.

Should we therefore assume that Yanworth, who is now odds-on with some bookmakers, should be given a wide berth?

I also made some positive comments about him earlier in season, in fact I think I described him as the best around. That was in the early days of the McManus alliance and now I am willing to admit that the tie-up has had a negative impact on his riding. Geraghty has never been a front-running jock but for the most part riding for Henderson he would sit no worse than mid-division. These days he just isn’t allowed to do that and if you are constantly having to make ground from the rear it puts much greater emphasis on a mistake free round. One or two mistakes and it can easily be game over. Sometimes a horse will overcome all the negatives but predicting the McManus horses is an increasing nightmare for punters.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31926

I also made some positive comments about him earlier in season, in fact I think I described him as the best around. That was in the early days of the McManus alliance and now I am willing to admit that the tie-up has had a negative impact on his riding. Geraghty has never been a front-running jock but for the most part riding for Henderson he would sit no worse than mid-division. These days he just isn’t allowed to do that and if you are constantly having to make ground from the rear it puts much greater emphasis on a mistake free round. One or two mistakes and it can easily be game over. Sometimes a horse will overcome all the negatives but predicting the McManus horses is an increasing nightmare for punters.

Sometimes giving a horse plenty to do before trying to win the race and/or finding the worst ground on the course – can pay dividends in the long run… Modus Saturday? 😉

Value Is Everything
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4885

Sometimes giving a horse plenty to do before trying to win the race and/or finding the worst ground on the course – can pay dividends in the long run… Modus Saturday? ;-)

I hope not. I have got the odd one right in the past but if I have no interest it has got to stage where I would rather see just about anything beat McManus.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31926

To be honest Stilvi, I’ve backed it for the Betfair, but even I hope the bloody thing loses. :yes:

Value Is Everything
    pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

He has looked very good but I would always be inclined to take on an Alan King horse at very short odds.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Genius here has him at 16s for the Supreme! Still think Yorkhill will hopefully give him a race!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.